GDT: 2017-18 Other Playoff Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I will continue to believe that the Sharks are the least watched franchise in hockey by both the media and fans.

Victim mentality. They may be in the bottom half, but Arizona, Carolina, and Florida are below us without any sort of doubt. Then there are plenty others who are debatable.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Maybe this is an interesting experiment to do. From all the previous posts, it appears this Jets core began in 2012 with with the Scheifele pick at 7th. They’ve had 5 more drafts since then, for a total of 6. Why not use Timo as Scheifele, in this comparison experiment? Scheifele was drafted at 7 and Timo at 9. We can see where the Sharks are at the 20-21 season. What Norris turned out to be. And who else Tim Burke blesses us with. What happens with Kane will play a big part too, with next years’ 1st. Obviously, we’re missing a 1st round pick from the Martin Jones trade. So there’s a hole between Timo and Norris.

Other factors to note in this experiment, obviously the Sharks have put together one of the most successful playoff appearance runs in modern NHL history, raising the median 1st round pick to the high teens-mid twenties. And obviously the Sharks have recently made the cup finals, which means they’ve had more recent success than the Jets. And obviously the Sharks have had 2 HoF players on their roster for the better part of 15 years, which has resulted in using high picks and high end prospects as a way to keep the team competitive in this window, rather than drafting and developing youth.

Nevertheless, this should be something worth revisiting in 3 more years. Hopefully DW, Burke, and co. have some similar success in drafting as the Jets have recently had. That young core in Winnipeg is very impressive. Maybe all of those young guys are more focused on training and practice since the wi-fi is terrible there. :sarcasm:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Victim mentality. They may be in the bottom half, but Arizona, Carolina, and Florida are below us without any sort of doubt. Then there are plenty others who are debatable.
Those teams may have low attendance, but people lobby for Barkov in the media as a selke candidate and talk about Dale Tallon from time to time. Carolina’s defense is talked about for how deep it is, Jordan Staal is still talked about and they’re analytics darlings for their failure with good advanced stats. Arizona gets press because of how young Chayka is and the shrewd trades he supposedly makes. Plus they have lots of good shiny prospects. I’m not trying to present a victim mentality in the least, I follow all the big national media insiders and outlets on twitter and the Sharks are rarely mentioned. TSN reported on Joe’s torn ACL and said it was the same knee he hurt before. None of the national media insiders even mentioned Thornton’s injury on Twitter. Fans always talk about how the Sharks are too old blah blah. People are obviously aware the Sharks, but given the late start times, lack of a Stanley cup, mellow franchise players and GM, the team is an afterthought for most.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Off the top of my head: Lawson Crouse, Dylan Strome, Pavel Zacha. All of those guys have pretty much no argument against Meier at this point in time.

13 players drafted in the 1st have more points than Timo but he was drafted 9th, he's middle of the pack. Power forwards usually take the longest to mature into NHL players anyways. I have no doubt Timo will be a top 10 pick from that draft year.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
13 players drafted in the 1st have more points than Timo but he was drafted 9th, he's middle of the pack. Power forwards usually take the longest to mature into NHL players anyways. I have no doubt Timo will be a top 10 pick from that draft year.

He might or might not be but he was still a good pick; that was just an absolutely crazy draft. In almost any other draft, he would look like a fantastic pick at #9.

Reactions: Friday

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
He might or might not be but he was still a good pick; that was just an absolutely crazy draft. In almost any other draft, he would look like a fantastic pick at #9.

Totally, draft was crazy deep. Timo may not be the best but he's going to be very useful and he's perfectly built for the way hockey is trending.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The difference between good drafting and great drafting is a good team vs a great team.

Yeah, we should have picked Barzal, but whatever. We're just going to have to accept that Meier has the potential to be a strong 30-30 1st line winger, and we're going to have to hope that guys like LaBanc, Ferraro, and the ChTwins can make up for the safe, "good" picks that we've been making in the first round.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Yeah, we should have picked Barzal, but whatever. We're just going to have to accept that Meier has the potential to be a strong 30-30 1st line winger, and we're going to have to hope that guys like LaBanc, Ferraro, and the ChTwins can make up for the safe, "good" picks that we've been making in the first round.

In defense of that view, I have seen statistical arguments that after the top-10 in the draft, the chance of getting a legit star player is very minimal, so much so that your chance of getting one at #25 and at #150 isn't that much different. On the other hand, the chance of getting an NHL-quality player is much higher at the #25 position. So the idea is if you go for safe picks in the early rounds and crazy reaches in the final rounds, you will end up with solid results.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I want Tampa to win, but man the league is so stupid/outdated.

With 1 view of any replay, you could see that there was no high-stick there. Same with any delay of game penalties. It'd take literally <30 seconds to make the right call, as opposed to "convening" for 1+ minute and getting the wrong call. The time-wasting argument makes no sense.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Oooh boy...if Tampa wins this game Capitals fans will never shut up about that (horrible) call.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

With 1 view of any replay, you could see that there was no high-stick there. Same with any delay of game penalties. It'd take literally <30 seconds to make the right call, as opposed to "convening" for 1+ minute and getting the wrong call. The time-wasting argument makes no sense.

I think I am coming around to this view. If you are going to implement video review, implement it for everything (with the coach's challenge).

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
In defense of that view, I have seen statistical arguments that after the top-10 in the draft, the chance of getting a legit star player is very minimal, so much so that your chance of getting one at #25 and at #150 isn't that much different. On the other hand, the chance of getting an NHL-quality player is much higher at the #25 position. So the idea is if you go for safe picks in the early rounds and crazy reaches in the final rounds, you will end up with solid results.

I want to do a study on drafting because I'm convinced that teams would just be better off drafting the highest league-adjusted scoring player for their position. For example, in 2012, I believe Hertl was actually the highest scoring player available when you adjusted for the league that he played in, and he may have been the best pick available. In 2013, you would compare Mueller to the highest league adjusted scoring defenseman, and in 2014, you would compare Goldobin to the highest league adjusted scoring forward.

To get back on topic of this thread, awful call. They need to make high-sticking a video reviewable call. It won't take that long to review.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I just thought about it in my head and I pictured these referees saying "did you see that stick make contact? Because the fans at home are probably watching replay right now and I don't want us to make the wrong call and have them freak out."

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Penalties like hooking, holding, interference are more subjective but high sticking, DoG, tripping are pretty clear cut and they shouldn't be guessing.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
So much skill from Kuznetsov...though I am not sure why he isn't making the pass to the wide-open Ovechkin.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
So many open ice hits in this game, as well as so much skill. Pretty damn fun to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad