GDT: 2017-18 Other Playoff Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
We live in a universe where the Caps are potential cup champs. Oh god this season is worse than I thought. Not as bad as Vegas, but god damn! I need someone to end me.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
We live in a universe where the Caps are potential cup champs. Oh god this season is worse than I thought. Not as bad as Vegas, but god damn! I need someone to end me.

On paper, Vegas, Winnipeg, and Washington would be one of the weaker teams to win the cup and not in line with historical norms.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
On paper, Vegas, Winnipeg, and Washington would be one of the weaker teams to win the cup and not in line with historical norms.

I think Winnipeg would be up to par with most of the winners. Washington might not be far from the 2017 Penguins and they’ve had the same thing: strong goaltending, superstars carrying them, and “elite” opposition goaltenders playing awful.

Reactions: Bleedred

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA

I agree on Vegas and Washington. Winnipeg was the second best team in the league by standings points (and just eliminated the best team in a grueling 7-game series) and the fourth best possession team overall. Barring something unforeseen I think they'll win the Cup at this point.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Holtby > Vasilevskiy.

Goals 3 and 6 should have been stopped.

Actually, goal 6 shouldn't have even been scored on him. He should have been yanked at 5-2 to shut him down and get him some rest before game 3.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Winnipeg would be up to par with most of the winners. Washington might not be far from the 2017 Penguins and they’ve had the same thing: strong goaltending, superstars carrying them, and “elite” opposition goaltenders playing awful.
Washington has a lot of anchors that they're dragging around. Smith-Pelly, Chiasson, Jay Beagle, then you got Orpik on D.

And tonight, they're anchor line is scoring on Vasilevskiy, with that trash third goal, that looks like a goal that he has ''No chance'' on when you're Mike Milbury, but Brian Boucher was a little skeptical. And I'm sure he was ''Screened'' on that last goal, but that's pathetic if he let that screen him.

As far as Holtby goes, I can't think of too many weak goals he's allowed since a couple in the 3rd period of game 1 of the Pittsburgh series.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

The magic formula that practically every SC winner (and a strong majority of cup finalists) have adhered to his two of these three things:

1) Vezina-quality goaltending
2) Norris-quality defenseman
3) Franchise-caliber center.

For Washington, Kuznetsov and Carlson are extremely close but just miss it. For Winnipeg, one can argue that Wheeler is basically a center, but otherwise, they would miss it.

To be fair, Carlson and Byfuglien have been "Norris-quality" this postseason by many statistical measures, and a case can be made for Scheifele playing like a franchise-caliber center as well.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The magic formula that practically every SC winner (and a strong majority of cup finalists) have adhered to his two of these three things:

For Washington, Kuznetsov and Carlson are extremely close but just miss it. For Winnipeg, one can argue that Wheeler is basically a center, but otherwise, they would miss it.

To be fair, Carlson and Byfuglien have been "Norris-quality" this postseason by many statistical measures, and a case can be made for Scheifele playing like a franchise-caliber center as well.

Remember, all of this goes out the window when the other team’s goalie plays like Vasilevskiy has.

In addition, Kuznetsov and Schiefele are both certainly franchise caliber centers. Their regular season and playoff performances are both up to par with that tag.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA

Yeah I would say Scheifele is a franchise center at this point for sure and Byfuglien and Trouba are both close to Norris-caliber in different ways. Also Hellebuyck is literally a Vezina finalist.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Yeah I would say Scheifele is a franchise center at this point for sure and Byfuglien and Trouba are both close to Norris-caliber in different ways. Also Hellebuyck is literally a Vezina finalist.

To clarify, I think all four goalies left in the playoffs could check off that box for their team. Hellebuyck and MA Fleury on their performances throughout the year, Holtby on his record and play throughout the playoffs, Vasilevskiy on his RS record.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I will say the Palat goal on Holtby in game 1 was a stinker. Can't remember too many others since the 3rd period of game 1 against the Pens.

To clarify, I think all four goalies left in the playoffs could check off that box for their team. Hellebuyck and MA Fleury on their performances throughout the year, Holtby on his record and play throughout the playoffs, Vasilevskiy on his RS record.
Holtby was not good in the regular season. He shouldn't even get a Vezina vote, his record was solely because of the team he played for. He was a passenger this regular season. That would be like Jones getting Vezina votes for 2016-2017. Most years he's definitely been getting/gonna get Vezina votes, if not a top 3 vote.

He has bounced back in the playoffs though and it looks like it's probably just an off-year, which I would have given him the benefit of the doubt on unless he came back and played like that again next year like *Cough* Cory Schneider *Cough*.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Let's go Caps! I can't help but root for them. They've been the Sharks of the East for a while now, with Ovechkin subbing in for Thornton as the guy who gets way too much hate/blame for his team's failures/bad luck.

Agreed! Go Caps.

After Thornton, and Marleau, Ovi is who I want to see raise to cup most.

Reactions: Nighthock

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009

I follow your line of thinking with Washington and Vegas but Winnipeg?
How would they be considered a weaker cup winner?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I follow your line of thinking with Washington and Vegas but Winnipeg?
How would they be considered a weaker cup winner?

Like I mentioned earlier, SC winners tend to have a few superstars. So far, I think only Hellebucyk clearly qualifies. Byfuglien, Wheller, and Scheifele are having franchise-quality playoffs, but I'm not sure it is sustainable.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Like I mentioned earlier, SC winners tend to have a few superstars. So far, I think only Hellebucyk clearly qualifies. Byfuglien, Wheller, and Scheifele are having franchise-quality playoffs, but I'm not sure it is sustainable.

You haven’t been paying enough attention to Schiefele if that’s how you feel about him.

Plus, Laine’s goal scoring alone probably propels him to that level as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad