GDT: 2017-18 Other Playoff Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I can't even imagine how slow we'd look vs the Jets haha kinda happy we don't have to take that beating

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Watching Vegas is so weird. It always seems like they have a forward behind the play or at least moving against the grain which leads to these oddman breaks that shouldn't exist because there shouldn't be a skater there

Reactions: Phu and Friday

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I dont understand how Vegas does it. If the Caps finally make the Cup and lose to the Knights the whole world should riot haha

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Watching Vegas is so weird. It always seems like they have a forward behind the play or at least moving against the grain which leads to these oddman breaks that shouldn't exist because there shouldn't be a skater there

I think they execute line changes in a manner where too many men gets called less often than it should. Just off the top of my head, Couture’s OT goal in the regular season against Vegas is a great example of them blatantly having too many men on the ice and not getting called for it.

Another post saves a goal against for the Las Vegas Horseshoes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Friday and Phu

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You should be more mad that we had dmen that struggled against him.

Yeah, just for the record, I am extremely furious with the performance of almost every single Shark against Vegas. The only ones I’ll give a pass to are Couture, Hertl, Sorensen, Boedker, Donskoi, and Ryan. Dillon was mostly fine as well.

Reactions: do0glas

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Yeah, just for the record, I am extremely furious with the performance of almost every single Shark against Vegas. The only ones I’ll give a pass to are Couture, Hertl, Sorensen, Boedker, Donskoi, and Ryan. Dillon was mostly fine as well.

Out of 20 players, assuming Dell as well, that's 8/20 Sharks you give a pass to. That's a far cry from "every single Shark".

Marchessault really makes that line tick. Karlsson has an incredible release, but Marchessault is so well-rounded and has so much puck poise.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Out of 20 players, assuming Dell as well, that's 8/20 Sharks you give a pass to. That's a far cry from "every single Shark".

I said almost, but I suppose you’re correct. Remember, these are only guys I’m not furious about. And I’m furious with most of our defense. :(

In other news, maybe Vegas really is good. It looks like they are doing to Winnipeg what they did to us. They’ve mostly smothered them defensively and when Winnipeg got some momentum, they just got a sick goal right back.

The softie from Fleury is the only real difference I’ve seen in this current game and game 6.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If we had a franchise superstar like Marchessauly, we would've had a cup by now but we only had gutless leaders

Not a bad comparison, actually. Joe Thornton is primarily a playmaker. Jonathan Marchessault is primarily a playmaker.

2006-2009! Joe Thornton is unquestionably a more prolific offensive player than Marchessault. They are both best known for the same thing, and Thornton is *far* superior at it.

Yet after that one thing, Marchessault looks much better. Both are uninspiring defensively. Thornton is stronger and better on the boards. Marchessault is a better skater, a faster skater, a better goal-scorer, and a much better stick-handler. Eliminate Thornton's playmaking, and you had a fourth liner. Eliminate Marchessault's playmaking, and you still have top-6 forward.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Not a bad comparison, actually. Joe Thornton is primarily a playmaker. Jonathan Marchessault is primarily a playmaker.

2006-2009! Joe Thornton is unquestionably a more prolific offensive player than Marchessault. They are both best known for the same thing, and Thornton is *far* superior at it.

Yet after that one thing, Marchessault looks much better. Both are uninspiring defensively. Thornton is stronger and better on the boards. Marchessault is a better skater, a faster skater, a better goal-scorer, and a much better stick-handler. Eliminate Thornton's playmaking, and you had a fourth liner. Eliminate Marchessault's playmaking, and you still have top-6 forward.
Put the drink down.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Thornton was an elite possession player who scored 20 goals for every one of his first 5 seasons in San Jose. As time passes, I come closer to agreeing with you that one of San Jose’s fatal flaws has been questionable playoff performances from Joe. But this is just flat out nonsense.

Reactions: Phu

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
You can't turn the puck over in the neutral zone against Vegas, especially against the Karlsson - Reilly - Marchessault line. That was surgical by all 3 of them on that 3-1 goal and it killed all the momentum Winnipeg had.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You can't turn the puck over in the neutral zone against Vegas, especially against the Karlsson - Reilly - Marchessault line. That was surgical by all 3 of them on that 3-1 goal and it killed all the momentum Winnipeg had.

That line is just straight up surgical. I had PTSD flashbacks on that Marchessault goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->