Confirmed Signing with Link: 2017-18 Free Agency Thread

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Can he sign with another team while his current team is still in the playoffs?

I think if he is not on their playoff roster he can. In any event they probably told to look for something because he was not in their plans. Did he also finish with the AHL team?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I think if he is not on their playoff roster he can. In any event they probably told to look for something because he was not in their plans. Did he also finish with the AHL team?

According to the AHL website he's still on the Gulls' playoff roster and it looks like they're still playing.

I think you're right when you say that the Ducks organization must have given him permission to look for a new opportunity for next year.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Per Elite Prospects

UFA G Jonas Gustavsson who played this past season with Edmonton, as well as with Bakersfield of the AHL, has signed with Linkoping of the SHL.

RFA F Max Friberg, who played this past season for St. John's of the AHL while under contract to Montreal, has signed with Frolunda of the SHL.

The Jersey Number

number nerd
Jul 15, 2010
Halifax
According to the AHL website he's still on the Gulls' playoff roster and it looks like they're still playing.

I think you're right when you say that the Ducks organization must have given him permission to look for a new opportunity for next year.

This happens quite often. I recall back in 2015, Vancouver Canucks prospect Peter Andersson signed a contract with Orebro in Sweden in March, still during the AHL regular season, and he continued to play the rest of the season and throughout the playoffs as well. I found it a little odd, but sometimes I think it's more of an "agreement to terms" until their actual contract expires (in NHL/AHL cases, June 30th) to sign a new contract elsewhere.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
That's kind of a weird date, no?
Pretty much means he has to re-sign with Philly (or Philly has to let his rights go).

I'd assume that the date has to do with when UFAs can talk to other clubs. Since he wouldn't be able to sign with another club until July 1, I think the idea he has to "sign" by June 25th shouldn't be taken quite so literally. The point of the deadline is to allow him to gauge interest from other NHL clubs, I would assume to see if anyone's willing to give him a shot of making their team. Even if it were a strict deadline where he has to put pen to paper by that date, the Flyers could trade him (as a pending UFA) to another club for future considerations.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
UFA F Tom Kostopoulos, whom I have listed on the UFA charts on account of him being one of the Top 10 highest-scoring forwards in the AHL without an NHL deal, has signed another AHL deal, re-signing with Wilkes-Barre of the AHL for another season.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Newark, NJ - The New Jersey Devils today signed defenseman Viktor Loov (pronounced "LUHV") to a one-year, two-way contract worth $650,000 at the NHL level. The announcement was made by Devils' Executive Vice President/General Manager Ray Shero.
Loov, 24, spent the 2016-17 season in the American Hockey League between the Albany Devils and Toronto Marlies. He was acquired by New Jersey from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for forward Sergey Kalinin on February 18, 2017
https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devils-re-sign-defenseman-viktor-loov/c-289339610

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
according to eliteprospects.com, Ejdsell has signed with HV 71 of the SHL.

:help:

He was playing there no matter what, he's 21 and hasn't played above Allsvenskan, he isn't going to jump straight to the NHL :help:...

The exact same Swedish article that said Ejdsell chose the Preds also said this:

"he may join a higher profile team next season — SHL club HV71, the reigning playoff champ — and spend another year playing abroad, then join the Preds later."

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He was playing there no matter what, he's 21 and hasn't played above Allsvenskan, he isn't going to jump straight to the NHL :help:...

The exact same Swedish article that said Ejdsell chose the Preds also said this:

"he may join a higher profile team next season — SHL club HV71, the reigning playoff champ — and spend another year playing abroad, then join the Preds later."

Gotcha, thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad