Confirmed Signing with Link: 2017-18 Free Agency Thread

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

CapFriendly lists him as an UFA, but apparently the Sharks believe he is a RFA.

CapFriendly has amended their listing. They have his ELC as being terminated following the 2012-13 season, meaning that he would only have two professional seasons and thus not qualify to be a Group 6 UFA.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Kinda many AHL Swedes heading home this offseason.

Each and every offseason there's usually a wave of players heading home. There are also a number of North American players looking for work in Europe or the K as well. With the veteran limits in the AHL players who reach a certain number of games (I think it's 260 for skaters) have limited options available. Plus there are those players who realize they have a better chance of cracking a roster "back home". And then there are those who make decisions for family and quality of life reasons.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Per Elite Prospects, two RFAs playing in Europe with NHL rights expiring this summer have re-signed in Europe.
-Evgeny Grachev (STL) has re-signed with Torpedo of the KHL
-Mattias Tedenby (NJD) has re-signed with HV71

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

A good comparable could possibly be William "Wild Bill" Karlsson. Similar playing style. Sandberg was clutch in the SHL playoffs and scored a lot of important goals - if that's his new standard he's a really good player.
His normal standard is a useful middle six player in the SHL that is really good defensively. With a toolset that could translate well to the NHL.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Per Elite Prospects, RFA D Guillaume Gelinas, who played this past season for Iowa of the AHL and Quad City of the ECHL while under contract to Minnesota, has signed with Banská Bystrica of Slovakia.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Per Elite Prospects, RFA D Guillaume Gelinas, who played this past season for Iowa of the AHL and Quad City of the ECHL while under contract to Minnesota, has signed with Banská Bystrica of Slovakia.

Not that Gelinas is a candidate, but it just got me thinking...
it's been talked about often how the NHL's decision to not go to the Olympics could impact the number of Europeans we see coming overseas this season (though there sure seems to be a lot so far, even maybe more than usual!) but will we see an exodus of decent but fringe Canadian and American players going over seas instead of taking NHL deals and playing in the minors?

Guys like Colin Greening and Cory Conacher could probably squeeze out another NHL contract, but do they opt to go overseas and try to crack the national teams?

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
Not that Gelinas is a candidate, but it just got me thinking...
it's been talked about often how the NHL's decision to not go to the Olympics could impact the number of Europeans we see coming overseas this season (though there sure seems to be a lot so far, even maybe more than usual!) but will we see an exodus of decent but fringe Canadian and American players going over seas instead of taking NHL deals and playing in the minors?

Guys like Colin Greening and Cory Conacher could probably squeeze out another NHL contract, but do they opt to go overseas and try to crack the national teams?

AHLers will likely make up a lot of the Olympic teams, as they should be able to go to the Olympics.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
AHLers will likely make up a lot of the Olympic teams, as they should be able to go to the Olympics.

Very true. I guess I oversimplified it in my comment. In my head I was thinking about how fringe NHLers could be called up at any time due to injuries, etc. ... does the player want to chance that...
And then from there I typed it out as if it was black and white (AHL=no Olympics), but that's certainly not true.

But I guess my question stands. Guys like Greening and Conacher, just to reuse my examples, are they likely to sign that deal knowing if they make the team they can't go to the Olympics, or do they put the NHL dream on hold to attempt to play for their flag?

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

The 36-year-old defenceman was lauded for his play for Canada at the World Championships by Jon Cooper, as well as various hockey media members, after being added to the team due to Tyson Barrie's injury.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Coyotes hire UFA F Craig Cunningham as a pro scout

Cunningham, you may remember, suffered a heart-attack before an AHL game this past season and as part of his recovery had to have part of his leg amputated.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Coyotes hire UFA F Craig Cunningham as a pro scout

Cunningham, you may remember, suffered a heart-attack before an AHL game this past season and as part of his recovery had to have part of his leg amputated.

Classy move. Good for the Yotes.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

Sateri was previously a Sharks draft pick, signed and played with their AHL team for a while but returned to Europe three years ago. He becomes an UFA this summer.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/new...o-three-year-entry-level-contract/c-289608738

The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to a three-year Entry Level contract, club General Manager Jarmo Kekalainen announced today.

Kivlenieks, 20, went 36-7-4-2 with a 1.85 goals-against average, .932 save percentage and five shutouts in 49 games to help the Sioux City Musketeers capture the 2016-17 Anderson Cup as the league's regular season champions. He was named the USHL's Player of the Year and Goaltender of the Year and to the First All-Star Team after leading the league in wins, GAA, SV%, shutouts (tied) and finishing second in minutes played (2,991).

The 6-2, 184-pound netminder has represented Latvia at several international tournaments. He was named the best goaltender at consecutive IIHF Division I Group A World Junior Championships after leading Latvia to a bronze medal in 2015 with a 1.75 GAA and .928 SV% and to a gold medal in 2016 with tournament-bests in GAA (1.71) and SV% (.941).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad