2017-18 Champions Hockey League

Mayuu

Mar 10, 2017
I wouldn't say it is, a Euroleague Hockey would need a proper regular season and rivalries between individual clubs. Perhaps there could be a Central European division and a Nordic one, both would be played separately and only meet in the playoffs/finals. For financial reasons small clubs couldn't be included.

Broadly something like:

A
Adler Mannheim
Düsseldorfer EG
Eisbären Berlin
EHC Red Bull München
EV Zug
HC Kometa Brno
HC Slovan Bratislava
HC Sparta Praha
Kölner Haie
SC Bern
Vienna Capitals
ZSC Lions Zürich

B
Brynäs IF Gävle
Djurgårdens IF Stockholm
Färjestads BK Karlstad
Frölunda HC Göteborg
HIFK Helsinki
HV71 Jönköping
Kärpät Oulu
Linköpings HC
Malmö Redhawks
Stavanger Oilers
Tappara Tampere
TPS Turku

Ohh the abomination, **** that..
We don't need to convert CHL in to KHL 2.0.. it's on a good path, just give it time to adjust and over time it will become better!

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's going to be a hard sell for Swedish teams to share their TV-deal money with Finnish teams. As it is now, Swedish teams are pretty well off. For this to make sense to Swedish teams there would have to be considerably better money in this new league and I don't think the division you suggest is going to generate that money.

Euroleague Basketball is played additionally to the domestic leagues, supplementing them rather than replacing. So the participating teams definitely make more money including TV deals than they otherwise would.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Euroleague Basketball is played additionally to the domestic leagues, supplementing them rather than replacing. So the participating teams definitely make more money including TV deals than they otherwise would.

My mistake. But why go back to Nordic trophy format? Don't see the point.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Me neither, the original point was just that the CHL isn't and won't be a "Euroleague Hockey", and that such league would have to be built around a whole different concept consisting of the strongest teams and markets.

The reason why I favor the CHL personally is that it can be a truly European competition, both allowing the best to face each other as well as giving the clubs of the smaller hockey countries the chance to measure themselves with the big ones. In a basketball-style Euroleague that wouldn't really be possible.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Wrong. The last EuroBasket game in Helsinki was played the day before yesterday but Jokerit are still continuing their road trip and will not play at home until the 16th because the attendance would be atrocious in late August/early September.

And Barona Areena hasn't been the name of the venue since 2015.

No one knows what's it called these days, it changes name more often than the hockey team in Espoo. :laugh:

Jokerit would have probably opened the season with a 4 game home stand instead of an 8 game road trip if not for the Eurobasket so it is factually correct.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Less games in basketball leagues in Europe than hockey, easy to add Eurolegue game in between league games.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That's easy to change anytime, the 60 games they play in Liiga is way too much anyway. In fact even in Finland basketball is currently catching up ice hockey fast.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's easy to change anytime, the 60 games they play in Liiga is way too much anyway. In fact even in Finland basketball is currently catching up ice hockey fast.

It's not really. The domestic league is played in small arenas and besides Markkanen, we don't have an abundance of talent to spread around. The national team does well but we have a good coach.

Yes, one would think it'd be easy to change the number of games in Liiga but it isn't. The clubs are too stubborn to do what the fans want.

Last edited:

Babula

May 31, 2012
mostly asleep. why you do guys this to me...? put your basket to your BF talks...

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
The 2014 WHC venues, Minsk Arena and Chizhovka Arena were opened in 2010 and 2013, respectively. It's true that Finland lacks new arenas but there are several plans in motion at the moment - in Helsinki, Tampere, Turku and Jyväskylä.

A crazy thing - since Jokerit moved to KHL and Blues went bankrupt - the newest arena in Finnish League is in Turku - completed in 1990.

Babula

May 31, 2012
Absolutely Jablkon, we all know that MHK is one of top clubs in Czech league they have finished top 5 in the last 4 seasons, last season they lost in semis vs Kometa in 6, its a very good team when they have a full line-up, they should have more pride representing Czech hockey, look at Brno and Trinec who represented Czech extraliga with honor so far, those are real professionals.

MHK lost all the points from first two rounds in Extraliga... I like it.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
From interview with Hrade Kralove president,about CHL:

"....I didn't want to participate in it, I offered Petr Briza Sparta can play instead of us.....CHL sponges on clubs. We got 20000 EUR starting price money,which is ridiculous amount compering to travelling costs to Turku, Nottingham and Bern......Those are wasted money. I am responsible to owners and sponzors.Their priority is extraleague.

"...money is the crucial factor. Starting price money must be interesting like it was in that Gazprom year. Unfortunately it lasted only one year. No offence to anybody, but CHL is not interesting for clubs. Structure of participants is horrible. YOu wouldnt understand what was going on in Nottingham. It was a parody to hockey. If such a team played in Spengler, they would be in 3 for the entire match. Referees?Disaster. You just bring injured players from there. Therefore you safe you difference players.

"Petr BRiza sees future of hockey in CHL. I have completely opposite opinion. OUr fans want to see matches against traditional clubs like Sparta,Brno,Pardubice.They are not interested in Turku or Nottingham.

"You waste your own money, you are afraid of your players and russians dont participate, so what kind of Champions league it is? And to be honest, you know why is Nottingham first? Because teams battle for last two spots."

"....there is 300000 EUR penalty if you dont participate. If we gain participation next year, we won't play it...."

unfortunately only for czech posters:

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej...ika-sef-hradce-co-si-mysli-o-lize-mistru.html

Just to make it clear, such "open" opinions are not typical even here. Its hard to oppose him with money issue. Otherwise I think he has really short view on it. He is definetely wrong about what are fans interested in. Hradec attendance in first two games was more than solid. Based on negative FB comments about their perfomance in CHL, I would say they would easily attack 5000 or more in further matches, if they took it seriously. Not being said, that most CHL matches are better than half of extralegues games.

In my opinion,despite budget and roster, Hradec Kralove is historically so far pretty meaningless team in czech hockey. I dont remember any NHL prospect they brought up except Hronek. So they havent done so much for czech hockey. They want to win the tittle but they dont behave and talk like champions.Czechs are not in situation to despise or avoid matches with Turku, Bern,Panthers etc. I believe it makes our players better.

I didnt watch any games against Panthers so I can not judge it. Bern didnt complain if Iam correct.

Anyway, as Vroutek said, Hradec lost all three games in league :)))Nottingham karma already works :)))

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
In my opinion,despite budget and roster, Hradec Kralove is historically so far pretty meaningless team in czech hockey.

I think that's an undeniable fact rather than an opinion, after all it's a team that relocated to its current "home" mere four years ago and carries the plastic identity of a garden equipment distributor. They say their customers want to see them play against Sparta, but do Sparta fans really want to see Mountfield HK? In other words I think Mountfield is just looking for a scapegoat trying to hide its own shortcomings.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I think that's an undeniable fact rather than an opinion, after all it's a team that relocated to its current "home" mere four years ago and carries the plastic identity of a garden equipment distributor. They say their customers want to see them play against Sparta, but do Sparta fans really want to see Mountfield HK? In other words I think Mountfield is just looking for a scapegoat trying to hide its own shortcomings.

I personally think he should be much more humble or rather even silent. I might accept such angry statement from lets say somebody from Liberec where you see they constantly doing their job.But still I think czechs should better still be silent and work on its own:)

Not to bashing everything on MHK.They have great fan base which makes really true hockey atmosphere in the stadium. Also from what I read on their websites, you dont see so many fans with such cultivated statements on FB. They critized them for CHL and league performance, but not like **** that **** this.....So, yes, despite that stupid grasscutter sponzor, other fans are interested in them. But I am sure no one really knew who is their president till this interview. So their reputation might change soon:)

Babula

May 31, 2012
I personally think he should be much more humble or rather even silent. I might accept such angry statement from lets say somebody from Liberec where you see they constantly doing their job.But still I think czechs should better still be silent and work on its own:)

Not to bashing everything on MHK.They have great fan base which makes really true hockey atmosphere in the stadium. Also from what I read on their websites, you dont see so many fans with such cultivated statements on FB. They critized them for CHL and league performance, but not like **** that **** this.....So, yes, despite that stupid grasscutter sponzor, other fans are interested in them. But I am sure no one really knew who is their president till this interview. So their reputation might change soon:)

fair enough. anyway I was pretty ungry at the times when Mountfield left Č.B. to H.K. but I remember the atmosphere in H.K. after this. I have visited (First or second season, sure it was still great) home game against Sparta. their fans still on my mind... so noisily good... But I´m still sad for Č.B. fans they are pretty good also...

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
First of all, now we know that not all teams are happy with the CHL and their status quo/plans.

I do not think that fans understand what Briza wants. And it can not be a coincidence (Briza said it himself & this HK guy said it now). Briza wants CHL to transform into ONE European league, he wants national leagues to cease. I think this will not happen for multiple reasons, but still Briza will do everything to make it happen. And the funny fact? His main argument against Sparta to the KHL was that fans want to see only Czech clubs, not foreign. Now he wants fans to accept foreign teams, but not Russian of course.

PS: I have no problem with an idea of one hockey Euroleague. But it must include Russians. You can not create a hockey league without Russians as you can not create a basketball league without Turks or Greeks or Spanish. The same in soccer with no Germans, Spainish or Brits.

PS 2: I think everyone will agree with two arguments of Mountfield CEO - first, prize money is not attractive and second, there is a scheduling problem between the CHL & NTs (Euro Hockey Tour).

Last edited:

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
About the attendance numbers, finnish league started about a week ago and the numbers have been just as low as in the CHL. Four game last night, three of them had less than 3k spectators. And it was friday night. TPS draws similar numbers in CHL and Liiga. JYP has had bigger attendance figures in the CHL than in Liiga. So definately not just the CHL thats been uninteresting in Finland, but we seem to lose hockey fans in general as well. Rapidly.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
About the attendance numbers, finnish league started about a week ago and the numbers have been just as low as in the CHL. Four game last night, three of them had less than 3k spectators. And it was friday night. TPS draws similar numbers in CHL and Liiga. JYP has had bigger attendance figures in the CHL than in Liiga. So definately not just the CHL thats been uninteresting in Finland, but we seem to lose hockey fans in general as well. Rapidly.

The main issues are that it's still September and the weather hasn't been that cold yet. People might prefer going out instead of watching hockey. It's also been guaranteed that the attendances won't start rising until October-November. Plus what I've mentioned previously, too many games in the regular season. Fans have complained about online and offline throughout this decade that there's too many games without any importance. When teams play 3-4 games a week and at worst case even 3 times at home, the fans don't have time to attend all games and pick the ones where they do.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
First of all, now we know that not all teams are happy with the CHL and their status quo/plans.

I do not think that fans understand what Briza wants. And it can not be a coincidence (Briza said it himself & this HK guy said it now). Briza wants CHL to transform into ONE European league, he wants national leagues to cease. I think this will not happen for multiple reasons, but still Briza will do everything to make it happen. And the funny fact? His main argument against Sparta to the KHL was that fans want to see only Czech clubs, not foreign. Now he wants fans to accept foreign teams, but not Russian of course.

PS: I have no problem with an idea of one hockey Euroleague. But it must include Russians. You can not create a hockey league without Russians as you can not create a basketball league without Turks or Greeks or Spanish. The same in soccer with no Germans, Spainish or Brits.

PS 2: I think everyone will agree with two arguments of Mountfield CEO - first, prize money is not attractive and second, there is a scheduling problem between the CHL & NTs (Euro Hockey Tour).

Based on what evidence?

For not playing in the CHL is that? If so how is that enforced?

I dont know. He said it in that interview. Might be some IIHf procedure/arbitration.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Briza said it here, and Mounftfield guy said it in interview you posted.

I agree that his view is strictly business oriented and this itself is wrong attitude in hockey. Especially considering that all czech managers should rather focus on what they are doing in youth categories than constantly looking for sponzors and new guys to first or second line in Ateam. This 90s attitude brought us where we are now. SParta has been probably doing better in youth though.

As to CHL. Its his opinion, it doesnot look like his target and I dont think he ever said his intention is to cease national leagues. They would become minor leagues in his theory, if I understand clear. But again, its his idea of future, not smth he would mandatory target.

MHK manager can have diff. opp. But its quite a difference if he does not agree with CHL as a one paneuropean league or with CHL as a champions league/tourney. He unfortunately presents second opinion for no reason except money and russian being involved. Sad fact is he hasn't managed anything in hockey yet and expects smbd will bring him this tourney on plate with no issues.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad