Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
The oilers have two of the best players in the world.

But behind all the mindless bravado is the fact that their goaltending and defense are vulnerable to meltdowns from pressure. If the Canucks exploit that weakness, then they will win.

Edmonton plays a high paced game. If the Canucks try to slow them down with sticks and lazy play, they will lose.

As for Cup wins, most of the Oil fan base weren't even alive the last time the Oilers won.
You do know the Oilers last Cup win was 34 years ago, right?

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'd rate the oilers dmen top three as

1 Ekholm
2 Bouchard
3 Nurse

Vancouver has

Hughes that's about it.

You're right oiler forwards can roll 4 lines deep and goaltending is a question mark. That's one thing about Vancouver though. Their goaltending is a huge question mark.

Your rankings of D are certainly…..interesting.
😂

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
It did and to the flames credit they didn't destroy their city when they lost.
But one is factually correct. Vancouver from a hockey perspective destroyed their city. Twice. And right now in 2024 they cannot have watch parties like Edmonton Toronto Winnipeg etc out of fear they'll do it again.

Your Edmonton opinion as a city bashing is comical since you can't say nothing from hockey perspective. Also there is a very valid reason why Edmonton was chosen to host ALL playoff teams in the bubble covid year.

Stay safe out there.
bashing edmonton from a "hockey basis" isnt that difficult- I can write a whole chapter about making a mockery of the draft lotto system to the extent that the league had to change the draft lotto rules/odds to prevent inept organizations from cashing in like the oilers did. This happened years after the riots.

The riots were generated by idiots - not the hockey team. If you want to use them as some sort of flex be prepared to have the general perception that Edmonton is a hole pointed out to you as a counter flex. Why they got chosen to host the playoffs during the Bubble year? I dont know, maybe because the place is isolated and players didnt feel that bad about staying in doors while they were there?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Canucks are playing with house money.

Anything past the first round this season was exceeding expectations, which were a bubble team if everyone was healthy.

Oilers window is closing, the pressure is beyond immense. Fortunately they will be playing against a third string goalie. Imagine if they had to face a Vezina caliber goalie. Looking back at the Cups won decades ago is not as bad as the Leafs looking back to 1967, but it's certainly getting there.

Pressure. Cooker.

9073324_orig.gif

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The oilers have two of the best players in the world.

But behind all the mindless bravado is the fact that their goaltending and defense are vulnerable to meltdowns from pressure. If the Canucks exploit that weakness, then they will win.

Edmonton plays a high paced game. If the Canucks try to slow them down with sticks and lazy play, they will lose.

As for Cup wins, most of the Oil fan base weren't even alive the last time the Oilers won.
As a team the Oilers have matured substantially. Outside of the first 12 games this year most of what you say about the team defensively has not been the case. They have won in a variety of ways this year.

As far as the bolded is concerned, I think you would be surprised to find out how many of the Oiler posters on these boards were around for the entire Oilers run in the 80's. If I had to guess I'd say it was 40%+ of the board.

Navx94

Jan 17, 2019
Funny how these same cocky Canuck fans were afraid of playing LA but think they’ll beat Edmonton . Smh

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I'd rate the oilers dmen top three as

1 Ekholm
2 Bouchard
3 Nurse

Vancouver has

Hughes that's about it.

You're right oiler forwards can roll 4 lines deep and goaltending is a question mark. That's one thing about Vancouver though. Their goaltending is a huge question mark.
Nurse and Boobchard cant defend to save their lives. Cant wait for Hughes to break their ankles with his dekes. Ekholm is probably the only defense "man" in that group while Canucks got big tanks at the back end

• Haha
Reactions: Skolman

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
Offense: EDM > VAN
Defense: EDM < VAN
Goaltending: EDM =< VAN
Special Teams: EDM >> VAN

Canucks are going to have to limit the damage on special teams to have any chance. If they can keep it 5 on 5 more often it'll play into their favour but that will be tough with how EDM draws calls.

If the refs stay out of this series, the Canucks have a good chance. If not, bye bye

• Haha
Reactions: Higgens

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
bashing edmonton from a "hockey basis" isnt that difficult- I can write a whole chapter about making a mockery of the draft lotto system to the extent that the league had to change the draft lotto rules/odds to prevent inept organizations from cashing in like the oilers did. This happened years after the riots.

The riots were generated by idiots - not the hockey team. If you want to use them as some sort of flex be prepared to have the general perception that Edmonton is a hole pointed out to you as a counter flex. Why they got chosen to host the playoffs during the Bubble year? I dont know, maybe because the place is isolated and players didnt feel that bad about staying in doors while they were there?
How did Edmonton make a mockery of the draft lottery system? Its luck and they won. The hockey God's gave us Messier Gretzky Draisaitl and mcdavid.

Hockey God's gave you guys like Sedin and linden too.

The riots were generated by fans. Vancouver Canuck fans who your mayor has said cannot have watch parties because of the fans there. Not Toronto not Edmonton not Winnipeg just Vancouver cannot control their fans per your own mayor.

You can do all the mental gymnastics you want but the players felt a lot more comfortable playing in downtown Edmonton than downtown Vancouver.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Nurse and Boobchard cant defend to save their lives. Cant wait for Hughes to break their ankles with his dekes. Ekholm is probably the only defense "man" in that group while Canucks got big tanks at the back end

Hughes is literally going to be a stain on the boards. I can't wait for the full blown meltdown when Kane and Perry crush him and the pp gets to go to work.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Funny how these same cocky Canuck fans were afraid of playing LA but think they’ll beat Edmonton . Smh
Edmonton has no defense which plays right into hands of Canucks. Garland, Mikheyev, Hoglander, Pettersson etc. Will all now be more effective with less shot blocking from Oilers D and juicy turnovers. Preds played a stifling defense with great goaltending, now Canucks have breathing room to create offense.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

yea pretty much. Skinner still scares me sometimes, and the Oilers d is susceptible to mistakes if you aggressively forecheck. Any team that sits back and clogs up the neutral zone is just negating one of Edmontons weaknesses. You need to gun hard for the D, they're not great at making plays under high pressure

LA basically played right into Edmontons hands using 1-3-1

the series can definitely go either way. Like you said Vancouver needs to stay out of the box and not let up on forecheck pressure

The only downside is if you're too aggressive on the forecheck and the defense DOES make a play then the Oilers are really hard to defend against on the rush and thats where teams start to get into penalty troubles

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Edmonton has no defense which plays right into hands of Canucks. Garland, Mikheyev, Hoglander, Pettersson etc. Will all now be more effective with less shot blocking from Oilers D and juicy turnovers. Preds played a stifling defense with great goaltending, now Canucks have breathing room to create offense.
I think it's a tad insulting to say that they have no defense.

I think there'll be far more space than there was against Nashville, but they're not the tire fire defensively that many think.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

Edmonton blocked more shots than the Predators in 1 less game played. Saying they have no defense is silly. Knoblauch and Coffey have done a good job with the d-structure on this team, they were able to keep most of the play to the outside all series against LA

Reactions: Seachd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad