2016 OHL draft (part 2)

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
OK...as someone who is skeptical of undersized offensive D-men (having had my team get burned by drafting them previously), what is it that makes Merkely different?

Will he be a star in this league?

I don't think it's fair to compare Merkley to McFadden without giving him a shot. McFadden was drafted 12th in the first round, Merkley was ranked #1 on many scouting lists. Compare their pre-draft stats if you like. I don't agree with not selecting the BPA just because Guelph has numbers on D. Quantity does not equal quality. Guelph will have opportunities to upgrade at forward through the rest of the draft, the import draft, and trades.

Welcome to Guelph, Ryan.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I don't think it's fair to compare Merkley to McFadden without giving him a shot. McFadden was drafted 12th in the first round, Merkley was ranked #1 on many scouting lists. Compare their pre-draft stats if you like. I don't agree with not selecting the BPA just because Guelph has numbers on D. Quantity does not equal quality. Guelph will have opportunities to upgrade at forward through the rest of the draft, the import draft, and trades.

Welcome to Guelph, Ryan.

You're right, it's unfair to Ryan. It's also a product of fans and reporters/commentator's pumping McFadden too much post draft.

Pre-draft stats are pretty meaningless....I mean in the sense that they are so difficult to compare from one draft class to another, and from one bantam league to another.

Like I mentioned in the Storm thread....it doesn't matter what I think (duh) and now that he's a member of the team, I'm not going to complain. I welcome him with open arms and look forward to seeing what he can do over the next 2-5 years!

I was more looking for a report from someone who has seen him multiple times - a report that includes his strengths and also stuff he needs to work on. Most reports (OHL included) generally only talk about the good....I don't have a problem with that, just looking for a more complete and less biased report.

No sleep lost on this pick by this poster :D

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They have TC

Guelph
Sudbury
Hamilton
Saginaw
Flint

top 5 as per OHL app under the OHL Draft tab

Nice little bonus for Saginaw. The only team affected other than Flint, and they move up one spot. I suppose another little bonus is one extra player to choose from for every team; except, Guelph & Sudbury.

BaraccoliObama

Feb 22, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Alright so first pick is set in stone, congrats to Merkley and the Storm! Anyone want to get a mock in before tomorrow morning?

In brackets next to team names are my best guess at what position they're after based on overage players leaving the teams next year.

1. Guelph (BPA) - D Ryan Merkley
  2. Sudbury (BPA/D) - D Owen Lalonde
  3. Hamilton (BPA/F) - F Kirill Nizhnikov
  4. Saginaw (BPA/F) - F Aidan Dudas
  5. Flint (BPA/D) - D Giovanni Vallati
  6. Oshawa (F) - F Pavel Gogolev
  7. Mississauga (F) - F Connor Roberts
  8. Peterborough (F) - F Allan McShane
  9. Sault Ste. Marie (F) - F Barrett Hayton
  10. Owen Sound (F) - F Riley Damiani
  11. Ottawa (D) - D Dennis Busby
  12. Niagara (D) - D Declan Chisholm
  13. North Bay (F) - F Adam McMaster
  14. Barrie (D) - D Peter Stratis
  15. Sarnia (F) - F Hunter Holmes
  16. Kitchener (D) - D Carter Robertson
  17. Kingston (F) - F Akil Thomas
  18. London (F) - F Nathan Dunkley
  19. Erie (F) - F Liam Foudy
  20. Barrie (F) - F Cameron Hillis

Looking through the 2016 OHL draft guide I notice they have a feature on 6'7" 230 lb defenceman Ethan Lavallee who played in Austria this year. 15GP 2G 2A 4PTS 32 PIM. I doubt anyone here can provide insight but I bet he's gone by the end of the second round, especially with his size. OHL guide says this about him:

SCOUTING REPORT: Ethan is a very intimidating presence on the blueline and draws instant respect as soon as opposing players see him. He skates well for a player of his stature and he rarely gets beat wide as he is very good with using his stick and his massive wing span. He doesn’t give you much time and space to make plays. Ethan makes a solid outlet pass and is also able to make more finesse plays when space is limited. He has all the tools to be a very effective player in the OHL.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Alright so first pick is set in stone, congrats to Merkley and the Storm! Anyone want to get a mock in before tomorrow morning?

In brackets next to team names are my best guess at what position they're after based on overage players leaving the teams next year.

Looking through the 2016 OHL draft guide I notice they have a feature on 6'7" 230 lb defenceman Ethan Lavallee who played in Austria this year. 15GP 2G 2A 4PTS 32 PIM. I doubt anyone here can provide insight but I bet he's gone by the end of the second round, especially with his size. OHL guide says this about him:

I wish - I think he goes to Hamilton or Saginaw

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Not sure why but Hunter Holmes intrigues me. Would look real good in a Ranger jersey.:handclap:

BaraccoliObama

Feb 22, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I wish - I think he goes to Hamilton or Saginaw

He might, I mean I have about a good idea of what's actually going to happen as you. But Nizhnikov has been the highest ranked forward for forever, Dudas a close second. Flint under new ownership will be after a defenceman I think (losing Pittman/Peters/Saarijarvi probably, with Henderson the year following). And Gogolev apparently is amazing so I think he goes relatively high. So to me, it depends if Oshawa or Mississauga wants to take him.

Not sure why but Hunter Holmes intrigues me. Would look real good in a Ranger jersey.:handclap:

Agreed, but I don't think they'd take him even if he was available. Kitchener's losing Brosnan and Liberati, and one (possibly two) of Sergeev/Hora/DiPerna. They need someone who can step on the ice and play at the back end. Robertson logged intense minutes at the OHL Cup, and came away as part of the winning team.

Maybe we'll see a Roberts/Robertson pairing in a few years?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
He might, I mean I have about a good idea of what's actually going to happen as you. But Nizhnikov has been the highest ranked forward for forever, Dudas a close second. Flint under new ownership will be after a defenceman I think (losing Pittman/Peters/Saarijarvi probably, with Henderson the year following). And Gogolev apparently is amazing so I think he goes relatively high. So to me, it depends if Oshawa or Mississauga wants to take him.

Agreed, but I don't think they'd take him even if he was available. Kitchener's losing Brosnan and Liberati, and one (possibly two) of Sergeev/Hora/DiPerna. They need someone who can step on the ice and play at the back end. Robertson logged intense minutes at the OHL Cup, and came away as part of the winning team.

Maybe we'll see a Roberts/Robertson pairing in a few years?
Personally I think the Rangers will take the best player available. I did see another mock draft that had Rangers taking Akil Thomas

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Sudbury is rumoured to be drafting a D. GM says BPA. Sudbury is not graduating any D; they have 8 that are signed. D may be Sudbuy's weakest position; but, they have just two RH shots at F and just one is a natural RW. Lalonde had better be the 2nd BPA

Last edited:

BaraccoliObama

Feb 22, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Sudbury is rumoured to be drafting a D. GM says BPA. Sudbury is not graduating any D; they have 8 that are signed. D may be Sudbuy's weakest position; but, they have just two RH shots at F. Lalonde had better be the 2nd BPA

Isn't Patrick Murphy gone? And you've got Connor Cummins and Jarrett Meyer as OAs for next year. I don't know who else you've got in the pipeline but it might be to help build for the future when the veterans leave. Even you recognize that the D isn't what it could be, so I think the rumours have a bit of merit to them. Who would you rather have them take with the #2 spot? Nizhnikov's a lefty so that doesn't really help your lacking RH forwards case.

cub

Apr 11, 2012

I think Sudbury crazy to pass up on Krill Nizhnikov, to me you take the best player available. He also would look great with Sokolov, Levin, both speak Russian. I'm hoping they take him early, I believe this draft is deep with defenceman can get a good one in next round.

Ethan Lavallee, is big boy and can compete, I think he will be more of a project in first year but should be a solid defenceman once he develops in his big body.

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010

Played for the rapidly growing Red Bull Salzburg program in Austria this year that is being run by former NHLer Brian Savage

He played against competition this year that was likely better than what he faced had he played Minor Midget in Ontario this year. If he can skate with that size, he'll be a hell of a player

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Isn't Patrick Murphy gone? And you've got Connor Cummins and Jarrett Meyer as OAs for next year. I don't know who else you've got in the pipeline but it might be to help build for the future when the veterans leave. Even you recognize that the D isn't what it could be, so I think the rumours have a bit of merit to them. Who would you rather have them take with the #2 spot? Nizhnikov's a lefty so that doesn't really help your lacking RH forwards case.

Nizhnikov has a deadly one timer from the right side; that would definitely help. Murphy's position was D (during the awful start & 17 game losing streak) until Aagard & Wilkie were acquired; but, he did not play D! Absolutely adress the D in the 2nd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th & import draft. One 16 yr old D rated 5-20 is not the only way to improve a currently weak team.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com

Welcome to Guelph, Ryan.

IMO, Merkley is well ahead of McFadden at the same age.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Nizhnikov has a deadly one timer from the right side; that would definitely help. Murphy's position was D (during the awful start & 17 game losing streak) until Aagard & Wilkie were acquired; but, he did not play D! Absolutely adress the D in the 2nd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th & import draft. One 16 yr old D rated 5-20 is not the only way to improve a currently weak team.

I would be shocked if Nizhnikov is willing to report that Sudbury would pass on him. We need experienced D and Timpano can get you that. Go with the BPA and that is Nizhikov.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Played for the rapidly growing Red Bull Salzburg program in Austria this year that is being run by former NHLer Brian Savage

He played against competition this year that was likely better than what he faced had he played Minor Midget in Ontario this year. If he can skate with that size, he'll be a hell of a player

I saw him play an early game with Sudbury before heading to Austria. Huge kid, skating was really weak in August but like many big guys it got a bit better. (One of our scouts saw him in Austria and one saw him in Gatineau if memory serves)

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
I don't think it's fair to compare Merkley to McFadden without giving him a shot. McFadden was drafted 12th in the first round, Merkley was ranked #1 on many scouting lists. Compare their pre-draft stats if you like. I don't agree with not selecting the BPA just because Guelph has numbers on D. Quantity does not equal quality. Guelph will have opportunities to upgrade at forward through the rest of the daft, the import draft, and trades.

Welcome to Guelph, Ryan.
The scouts compare him to Murphy.His father was over six feet . He is a underage , has a lot of time to grow much bigger.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
IMO, Merkley is well ahead of McFadden at the same age.

I don't doubt that for a second.

Will he be a gamebreaker at this level like he was in bantam? Does he have the strength and or the stick to defend?

Basically should I expect him to be an impact player from the get go, or will there be an adjustment period of a year or two?

Also, if you had to isolate a main weakness or an area to improve, what would you say that is for him? Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad