2016 OHL draft (part 2)

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
I don't' agree. While it may be improbable Jenkins, Weiss and Wilde are committed and got taken. McBain who said he's going NCAA got taken in the first round as well. Big risks but we've seen players report, maybe not first year but second.....

99% chance McBain commits to the colts.

Scta2000

Jan 24, 2016
Jared Hill?
Connor Dineen?
Two players in the scta who stood out every game for there team and neither drafted?

Agreed....also Owen Gonter on the Buffalo team went un drafted. One of fastest players in age group. Looked very good in marrlie tourney against YSE and Titan tourney vs. Kingston. Only saw them play 4 games but dineen and Gonter stood out to me on a bad team.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Close but no cigar...

My Post-OMHAs/ETAs Top-10 (from 03-16-2016):

Disclaimer:

1) I'm not a scout. I'm a dad, just not one of those dads. I've played and coached, consider myself a lifelong student of the game and I've been through all this before with an older son.

2) Although I personally know a couple of OHL owners and a few OHL GMs/Coaches/AGMs/Scouts, I'm not an OHL insider. Therefore I don't have any access to OHL Central Scouting data, Hockey Tech type testing data or the like. I don't have the opportunity to interview players to know either their intentions or what kind of people they are off the ice. I also don't have access to "shopping lists" and know position has a fairly big effect on where a player is drafted and by whom. I also don't have the sample size to make a full determination on when a player will be drafted. I see one team ALOT. I see teams in their division more and teams in the other division less.

I'm also not a subscriber of any scouting service. I'm just a dude doing what you guys are: watching minor-midget hockey trying to project where certain players might fit in at the next level. I'm not pimping, just offering one opinion. Will I be wrong on some? Certainly, but the proof will be in the pudding on April 9th.

My Top-10:

1) Aidan Dudas - NCP (Round 1) - 2nd ETA pick (Owen Sound 1-10)
2) Dennis Busby - BC (Round 1) - 5th ETA pick (Flint 2-23)
3) Ty Dellandrea - COW (Round 2) - 1st ETA pick (Flint 1-5)
4) Nathan Dunkley - QRD (Round 2-3) - 3rd ETA pick (Kingston 1-17)
5) Mason Snell - CT (Round 2-3) - 10th ETA pick (North Bay 3-54)
6) Cameron Hillis - YSE (Round 3) - 7th ETA pick (Guelph 2-28)
7) Quinn Yule - COW (Round 3-4) - 19th ETA pick (Ottawa 5-84)
8) Mitchell Pellarin - NCP (Round 4-5) 41st ETA pick (Oshawa 11-207)
9) Rhys Forhan - YSE (Round 4-5) - 9th ETA pick (North Bay 2-33)
10) Jacob Roach - WW (Round 5) - 30th ETA pick (Sudbury 8-148)

First ETA Goalie selected: Jacob Ingham - 6th ETA pick, 1st goalie (Mississauga 2-26)

10 Honourbale Mentions (in alpha order):

Dawson Baker - QRD - 14th ETA pick (Sudbury 4-63)
Connor Corcoran - BC - 4th ETA pick (Windsor 2-21)
Mitchell Doyle - CT - 18th ETA pick (Guelph 5-82)
Issac Emon - NCP - 31st ETA pick (Peterborough 8-149)
Nolan Hutcheson - GKF - 17th ETA pick (Sudbury 4-80)
Barret Kirwin - BC - 24th ETA pick (Guelph 6-120)
Braydon Leeking - COW - 21st ETA pick (Flint 6-104)
Carter Robertson - YSE - 8th ETA pick (Ottawa 2-30)
Liam Robertson - CT - 13th ETA pick (London 3-60)
Chad Yetman - WW - 38th ETA pick (Erie 10-196)

So I missed (over-estimated) a little on Yule and alot on Roach and Pellarin and I missed (under-estimated) on Corcoran and YSE's Robertson.

It was a fun process to follow and I enjoyed reading all your posts, especially the rumours and mock drafts in the week preceeding the draft.

Happy hockey everyone!

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Round 1: 97.54% (95.07%)
Round 2: 94.55% (83.17%)
Round 3: 81.00% (65.00%)
Round 4: 77.50% (54.50%)
Round 5: 62.00% (38.50%)
Round 6: 53.50% (33.50%)
Round 7: 48.50% (26.50%)
Round 8: 37.50% (18.50%)
Round 9: 33.00% (13.50%)
Round 10: 23.00% (11.00%)
Round 11: 28.00% (15.50%)
Round 12: 23.00% (10.50%)
Round 13: 25.00% (11.00%)
Round 14: 18.50% (7.50%)
Round 15: 16.67% (6.06%)

Finding it hilarious that players selected in the 11th round (the first of the so-called "Friends and Family Rounds") have a significantly better chance of playing than kids from the 10th.:laugh:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Finding it hilarious that players selected in the 11th round (the first of the so-called "Friends and Family Rounds") have a significantly better chance of playing than kids from the 10th.:laugh:
It is also the rounds that teams take "fliers" on players and if they do report they quite likely play. See a lot of high end US players with college commitments picked in those rounds as well. If you filtered those picks out it probably would be significantly less players make it by percentage.

BaraccoliObama

Feb 22, 2016
Kitchener, ON

I wouldn't read into it too much. The difference between 2 guys in the 10th round and 3 guys in the 11th round playing 100+ games (which is what those percentages are saying) is hardly significant. Plus add in the US/flier picks like ohloutsider says and you've got your answer for the differences. Anyone drafted 8th round or higher has a significantly longer shot at making it in the OHL than those taken earlier.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I wouldn't read into it too much. The difference between 2 guys in the 10th round and 3 guys in the 11th round playing 100+ games (which is what those percentages are saying) is hardly significant. Plus add in the US/flier picks like ohloutsider says and you've got your answer for the differences. Anyone drafted 8th round or higher has a significantly longer shot at making it in the OHL than those taken earlier.

I'm just having fun with it....

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
There is a lot of talk in Hamilton about the size of the draft picks that the Bulldogs have taken.

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/6459094-big-bulldogs-get-even-bigger/

Right now, Hamilton has three guys on the roster under 6 feet, and now they are adding more. Understand your market I suppose :laugh: although whoever comes in after Burnett had better curb the time spent in the box if we're going to find success. While the team isn't putting a lot of stock into it, it's not going to shock me if there is a reasoning behind it.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Flint's 5th pick, Center Ty Dellandrea was interviewed by the OHL network in his Flint Firebird jersey and hat and gave every indication he planned on reporting to Flint which is a big relief. Also, very impressed with their selectons of C Hunter Holmes, D Jack Busby, RW Jack Wismer, and LW Ryan Littlejohn. Great size to these 5 picks. All within the first 48 picks.

‏OntarioHockeyLeague ‎@OHLHockey
"It's an honor to be drafted by the @FlintFirebirds"

@tydellandrea - 5th overall pick.
--------------------------------------------------------------

darryl knight ‏@darrylknight 33m33 minutes ago
Spoke to @tydellandrea on @FlintFirebirds: "#Flint has the most loyal fans in hockey, and I'm excited to help bring them a championship"

One of my personal faves. Nice pick and nice that the OHL met with him prior to the draft.

Agreed. Flint and Kitchener stand out to me, with Saginaw as a huge boom or bust draft.

Agreed. Liked both those teams drafts. Holmes was ranked slightly later by us because he played a bit of a soft game but the skill is there for sure.

Interesting when I poke to a few agents (and parents) about Flint, more than one said they would rather go to Flint than Saginaw.

Emberson will never play in the OHL... has about 4-5 colleges fighting for him, an agent who does not send to Junior, and the list goes on... there is a reason even London, Kitchener and Windsor did not take him....

Agree, and if he did, can't see it being in Sudbury.

My Post-OMHAs/ETAs Top-10 (from 03-16-2016):

Disclaimer:

1) I'm not a scout. I'm a dad, just not one of those dads. I've played and coached, consider myself a lifelong student of the game and I've been through all this before with an older son.

2) Although I personally know a couple of OHL owners and a few OHL GMs/Coaches/AGMs/Scouts, I'm not an OHL insider. Therefore I don't have any access to OHL Central Scouting data, Hockey Tech type testing data or the like. I don't have the opportunity to interview players to know either their intentions or what kind of people they are off the ice. I also don't have access to "shopping lists" and know position has a fairly big effect on where a player is drafted and by whom. I also don't have the sample size to make a full determination on when a player will be drafted. I see one team ALOT. I see teams in their division more and teams in the other division less.

I'm also not a subscriber of any scouting service. I'm just a dude doing what you guys are: watching minor-midget hockey trying to project where certain players might fit in at the next level. I'm not pimping, just offering one opinion. Will I be wrong on some? Certainly, but the proof will be in the pudding on April 9th.

My Top-10:

1) Aidan Dudas - NCP (Round 1) - 2nd ETA pick (Owen Sound 1-10)
2) Dennis Busby - BC (Round 1) - 5th ETA pick (Flint 2-23)
3) Ty Dellandrea - COW (Round 2) - 1st ETA pick (Flint 1-5)
4) Nathan Dunkley - QRD (Round 2-3) - 3rd ETA pick (Kingston 1-17)
5) Mason Snell - CT (Round 2-3) - 10th ETA pick (North Bay 3-54)
6) Cameron Hillis - YSE (Round 3) - 7th ETA pick (Guelph 2-28)
7) Quinn Yule - COW (Round 3-4) - 19th ETA pick (Ottawa 5-84)
8) Mitchell Pellarin - NCP (Round 4-5) 41st ETA pick (Oshawa 11-207)
9) Rhys Forhan - YSE (Round 4-5) - 9th ETA pick (North Bay 2-33)
10) Jacob Roach - WW (Round 5) - 30th ETA pick (Sudbury 8-148)

First ETA Goalie selected: Jacob Ingham - 6th ETA pick, 1st goalie (Mississauga 2-26)

10 Honourbale Mentions (in alpha order):

Dawson Baker - QRD - 14th ETA pick (Sudbury 4-63)
Connor Corcoran - BC - 4th ETA pick (Windsor 2-21)
Mitchell Doyle - CT - 18th ETA pick (Guelph 5-82)
Issac Emon - NCP - 31st ETA pick (Peterborough 8-149)
Nolan Hutcheson - GKF - 17th ETA pick (Sudbury 4-80)
Barret Kirwin - BC - 24th ETA pick (Guelph 6-120)
Braydon Leeking - COW - 21st ETA pick (Flint 6-104)
Carter Robertson - YSE - 8th ETA pick (Ottawa 2-30)
Liam Robertson - CT - 13th ETA pick (London 3-60)
Chad Yetman - WW - 38th ETA pick (Erie 10-196)

So I missed (over-estimated) a little on Yule and alot on Roach and Pellarin and I missed (under-estimated) on Corcoran and YSE's Robertson.

It was a fun process to follow and I enjoyed reading all your posts, especially the rumours and mock drafts in the week preceeding the draft.

Happy hockey everyone!

Nice job. Our guys thought Windsor reached early on Corcoran so we are with you there. Surprised Snell slipped that far.

Mayday3*

There is a lot of talk in Hamilton about the size of the draft picks that the Bulldogs have taken.

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/6459094-big-bulldogs-get-even-bigger/

Right now, Hamilton has three guys on the roster under 6 feet, and now they are adding more. Understand your market I suppose :laugh: although whoever comes in after Burnett had better curb the time spent in the box if we're going to find success. While the team isn't putting a lot of stock into it, it's not going to shock me if there is a reasoning behind it.

They're trying to emulate the Oshawa Generals mould. Not overly surprising considering they're the defending Memorial Cup champions

Howling In 16

Apr 11, 2012
Rank the OHL's Teams 2016 Draft Record?

Can anyone rank how good or poorly the OHL Teams did with their recent draft selections? I know the proof will actually not be seen for a few years but it would be interesting to get the opinions based on the perception of initial draft results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad