OT: 2016 Football Thread I: Giants bring back Beatty

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
It's weird. Lee was a very safe pick (scheme issues notwithstanding). But Hackenberg is probably the single riskiest pick in the entire draft due to him being a second rounder and being utterly awful. They are basically banking on him completely changing his game.

I agree. When the Jets were up, I thought they were gonna take Lynch. It made too much sense. However, this is the Jets we're talking about.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Then re-watch the way he erased Randy Moss in that 2007 Superbowl. Our DL got all of the credit, with Eli & plax getting some of the love to; but Webster just took, arguably the most dangerous WR of all time (at the height of his powers), and eliminated him from the biggest game of his career. Webster was terribad during his first two years, and broke down later in his career; but for a stretch he was a genuine shutdown corner who was top 10 (if not top 5) in the NFL. And I started off a huge C-Web hater.

I still miss having Webster and Phillips cleaning s*** up on the backend.

He had a good game against Randy Moss, ok. I simply don't agree with him being a top-5 corner at that time, maybe a top-10 at his very best, but I even think that's a stretch. He was wildly inconsistent. There were some games in which he looked like an elite lockdown CB and then others in which he looked like he didn't belong on the field. There were too many times where I saw him get absolutely walked and I can't say he was ever that good consistently to really agree with it.

Kenny Phillips on the other hand was an absolute MONSTER.

TheTimTamSlammerMan

Jul 29, 2011
Long Island
He had a good game against Randy Moss, ok. I simply don't agree with him being a top-5 corner at that time, maybe a top-10 at his very best, but I even think that's a stretch. He was wildly inconsistent. There were some games in which he looked like an elite lockdown CB and then others in which he looked like he didn't belong on the field. There were too many times where I saw him get absolutely walked and I can't say he was ever that good consistently to really agree with it.

Kenny Phillips on the other hand was an absolute MONSTER.

That's pretty much much how I remember Webster. He got burned so many times.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah you guys are misremembering that stretch then. Web got burned horrifically for his first couple seasons, then something clicked and for a good 3-5 years he was consistently excellent. Not much of a playmaker, but a genuine shutdown cover guy.

Then age/nagging-injuries started creeping up on him and he started getting burned from time to time again. But there absolutely was a stretch there were he was damn near elite.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It's weird. Lee was a very safe pick (scheme issues notwithstanding). But Hackenberg is probably the single riskiest pick in the entire draft due to him being a second rounder and being utterly awful. They are basically banking on him completely changing his game.

While there is a risk that natural ability will not be everything and not pan out, it is way less to have done that there and accept a decently good value pick on the 2nd round, Lee or otherwise.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Yeah you guys are misremembering that stretch then. Web got burned horrifically for his first couple seasons, then something clicked and for a good 3-5 years he was consistently excellent. Not much of a playmaker, but a genuine shutdown cover guy.

Then age/nagging-injuries started creeping up on him and he started getting burned from time to time again. But there absolutely was a stretch there were he was damn near elite.

I've been watching since the Dave Brown/Danny Kannell days. Webster played well for stretches and then like crap for others. It was a 5 year stretch after he signed that deal, but he wasn't that good for the entire 5 years. If he was consistent, then maybe he would have a been selected as all-pro in his career.

It's funny you bring up Super Bowl XLII and how great Webster was, but the Patriots only touchdown came from him falling and Randy Moss scoring on that play. Not really trying to nitpick there, it's kind of ironic, considering that's how his career was. Good to great for stretches and then something like that would happen and he'd play like ****.

I'll just agree to disagree with you. I vividly remember being pleased and pissed off at him at different times.

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I have a trivia question for you guys. The Jets took this player No. 6 overall in 2008 over Jerod Mayo, Ryan Clady, and Joe Flacco, but he failed to record a single sack while in New York. Who is he?

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I have a trivia question for you guys. The Jets took this player No. 6 overall in 2008 over Jerod Mayo, Ryan Clady, and Joe Flacco, but he failed to record a single sack while in New York. Who is he?

I remember having a long discussion on another board about Goldson how that guy was never gonna be a NFL player. He was only in it to get the first check, get rich quick and move on with his life.
Distinctly remember saying more than once only the Jets would be dumb enough to draft him.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

You should definitely call in to Mike Francesa this afternoon with that trivia. He'll love it. He'll happily spend an entire segment saying what Miamipuck said.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Webster was great from 2007-2009. Not a huge window or anything, but he was absolutely a top 5 corner during those years. In fact, he was arguably the best corner in the league for 2008. PFF has Antoine Winfield (possibly the most underrated corner in the last 20 years) slightly better that year because of how he was against the run, but Webster received a 27.7 cover score, which was their highest cover rating between 2008-2012 outside of Revis in 2009.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York

Youre being too kind to Hackenberg.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I remember having a long discussion on another board about Goldson how that guy was never gonna be a NFL player. He was only in it to get the first check, get rich quick and move on with his life.
Distinctly remember saying more than once only the Jets would be dumb enough to draft him.
People here were making that joke about Mcilrath his draft year here (That we'd be the ones stupid enough to reach)

Obviously Vern was waaaay worse.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Webster was great from 2007-2009. Not a huge window or anything, but he was absolutely a top 5 corner during those years. In fact, he was arguably the best corner in the league for 2008. PFF has Antoine Winfield (possibly the most underrated corner in the last 20 years) slightly better that year because of how he was against the run, but Webster received a 27.7 cover score, which was their highest cover rating between 2008-2012 outside of Revis in 2009.

I was so disappointed when WInfield signed with minnesota. Something about his wife ultimately making the choice.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Eli Apple called Justin Tuck and picked his brain on what it takes to be successful in NY..I like this kid more everyday

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Eli Apple called Justin Tuck and picked his brain on what it takes to be successful in NY..I like this kid more everyday

I fell in love with the pick when his mom got me to start actually checking twitter for more than news about Radulov. :laugh:

Mama Apple is just adorable.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I fell in love with the pick when his mom got me to start actually checking twitter for more than news about Radulov. :laugh:

Mama Apple is just adorable.

3772956-5079162291-tumbl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad