Waived: 2016-17 Waivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Any chance San Jose claims Reto Berra? 2.41 GAA and 0.922 SV% last season in limited usage. Could play 15 games behind Jones.

They don't have cap room to have to have Berra as their backup. Well they do if they keep only 21 players up, leaving just one extra player, but that's not happening.

So I'll say there's zero chance of Sharks claiming Berra.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
One of the most under-discussed bizarre moves of last summer was Florida trading a young, former 2nd rounder (Rocco Grimaldi) to Colorado for Reto Berra. I mean, it made sense at the time because one assumed Berra was being brought in to be the back-up for Luongo. But then Florida signed James Reimer for a lot of term and money, immediately pushing Berra to an overpaid #3. Even with Luongo's uncertain status, it didn't really make sense, unless they REALLY didn't think Reimer was willing to sign there or something.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
One of the most under-discussed bizarre moves of last summer was Florida trading a young, former 2nd rounder (Rocco Grimaldi) to Colorado for Reto Berra. I mean, it made sense at the time because one assumed Berra was being brought in to be the back-up for Luongo. But then Florida signed James Reimer for a lot of term and money, immediately pushing Berra to an overpaid #3. Even with Luongo's uncertain status, it didn't really make sense, unless they REALLY didn't think Reimer was willing to sign there or something.

I think they traded for Berra for depth purposes all along. I think it says a lot about the guys they had in their system, like Sam Brittain, Mike McKenna et al. I don't think they felt comfortable with any of them as their No. 3, and they probably felt Samuel Montembeault needed another season of junior as an overager.

Luongo's status was far more up in the air when Berra arrived, too. So, they got the cheap backup out of the way quickly and then were able to snag Reimer, too.

Luongo is what, 38? I can see why their level of concern was so high.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
With how random waiver-claims sometimes appear to be, I can't help but hold out some hope for someone claiming Stoner. Which would be glorious. I know the odds of that happening, though.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Wasn't Luongo assumed to be unable to start the season due to injury?
So the idea was Reimer/Berra tandem until Luongo was back

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I think they traded for Berra for depth purposes all along. I think it says a lot about the guys they had in their system, like Sam Brittain, Mike McKenna et al. I don't think they felt comfortable with any of them as their No. 3, and they probably felt Samuel Montembeault needed another season of junior as an overager.

Luongo's status was far more up in the air when Berra arrived, too. So, they got the cheap backup out of the way quickly and then were able to snag Reimer, too.

Luongo is what, 38? I can see why their level of concern was so high.

But then why wouldn't you sign Mike Leighton for $700,000 (What he signed for with Carolina(. Is there really that big of a discrepancy between Leighton and Berra that the latter is worth paying twice what you could pay Leighton?

And if you thought Luongo was going to be out up to a month, just lean on James Reimer, and dress McKenna as the back-up. You're paying Reimer enough, he should be able to handle a month playing night in/night out.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
A similar guy in Pedan is also on waivers today

except for Pedan is basically a nut job... teams get under his skin then he spends all game in the penalty box.....raw talent is there, but without discipline Pedan will not last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00