2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Part the Fourth (News n' Scores n' Stuff) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Please elaborate on what “plan accordingly” is in your eyes.

Maybe player demands changed with the market? Maybe at the last minute, Now what?

I certainly have never defended GMBM’s offseason, but his hands were tied in some things IMO. He wasn’t running the show with a crystal ball despite what some fans seem to want.

It’s also quite possible that Ownership had a significant influence on his strategy.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What's so funny? They have a garbage team, a complete idiot as their GM and the most gullible fans on the planet who still brag about the Cups that they won 100 years ago. I love attending Caps games at the Bell Center, because the Caps almost always win in that building.

Your clear distaste for your local team just makes me laugh for whatever reason lol....

Entertain me!

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Please elaborate on what “plan accordingly” is in your eyes.

Maybe player demands changed with the market? Maybe at the last minute, Now what?

I certainly have never defended GMBM’s offseason, but his hands were tied in some things IMO. He wasn’t running the show with a crystal ball despite what some fans seem to want.

It’s also quite possible that Ownership had a significant influence on his strategy.

Kuznetsov at $7.8M AAV is higher than most thought but getting him for under say $6M wasn't very likely. Similarly Orlov at anything below say $4.5M was probably optimistic. Oshie came in right around where most thought at $5.75M AAV, same with Burakovsky ($3M) and Grubauer ($1.5M). Even had Orlov and Kuznetsov come in at more optimistic amounts they wouldn't have had room for Johansson. It didn't require a crystal ball to figure this out, just some reasonable assumptions.

Ownership may have had something to do with it and in that case I'll levy the same criticism on them instead of GMBM.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Your clear distaste for your local team just makes me laugh for whatever reason lol....

Entertain me!

If you lived here, you would feel the same.

Hans kick off the season with a 9 game winning streak two years ago. Fans and media talk about the Stanley Cup. "Ça sent la coupe!" they said. (Smells like the Cup).

Then, the team falls apart and sink to the bottom of the standings. They blame their best player who also donated $10M to the local children's hospital and they run him out of town, saying that he is selfish and doesn't care about the team's success.

As the team gets worse, the ticket prices keep on increasing and the gullible fans continue to fill the arena.

There's also a political dimension to the Canadiens which I hate. I won't get into that, but even I as a native French speaker find it ridiculous.

There's just nothing to like about the Habs anymore. I hope you are all entertained by my rant.

Reactions: twabby

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'm not sure I can name more than 3 or 4 better RHD in the league than Letang when he's on and healthy. He's masterful with the puck and he's a possession monster at ES (career ES CF% of ~54%). The big knock on KL is his inability to stay healthy and he can be a bit of a hothead. I'd trade any defenseman on our team for him straight up without thinking twice.
You guys said when he is on. That is my point he isn't always on, even when he is healthy.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kuznetsov at $7.8M AAV is higher than most thought but getting him for under say $6M wasn't very likely. Similarly Orlov at anything below say $4.5M was probably optimistic. Oshie came in right around where most thought at $5.75M AAV, same with Burakovsky ($3M) and Grubauer ($1.5M). Even had Orlov and Kuznetsov come in at more optimistic amounts they wouldn't have had room for Johansson. It didn't require a crystal ball to figure this out, just some reasonable assumptions.

Ownership may have had something to do with it and in that case I'll levy the same criticism on them instead of GMBM.

You have to assume $7.8, 5.75, 5.1, 3 and 1.5 were numbers that were settled on. What if the initial asks were 8.5, 6.5, 5.5 or even higher? How do you accommodate those asks in your pre-expansion draft strategy? I say it’s extremely difficult, likely hamstringing GMBM (for some roster strategy options)IMO until things got worked out. You’ve got nearly an extra $3 mil a season in Kuzy’s bump and getting stuck with Grubauer alone. Almost 5% of your cap on a team already cap strapped. I’m just saying this was difficult and the solution or options were likely much less clear back at the time of the expansion draft.

McPhee screwed us....what can you do?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
When he's healthy, he's on. Is it because he's a Penguin that you don't want to admit how good he is?
No its because he isnt very inconsistent. Especially in the defensive zone. He makes some bonehead plays at times. You guys have no problem ripping our defence men when they make a bonehead play.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Letang is good, but I notice all the other dmen look good too.

They certainly didn't need tang to win their last cup. A pivotal choke 2 years ago had him out suspended.

Maybe he is a system D more than we think?

And he seems he oft injured. Sure he can play monster minutes, but if he misses X number of games consistently from logging the high TOI, at some point we shouldn't keep saying he logs monster minutes. Lets look at minutes logged per year, not game.

In other words, f*** shits burgh

Reactions: Corby78

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No its because he isnt very inconsistent. Especially in the defensive zone. He makes some bonehead plays at times. You guys have no problem ripping our defence men when they make a bonehead play.

Every single player makes boneheaded mistakes in this league. They're human. Letang's contributions far outweigh the mistakes he occasionally makes.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Every single player makes boneheaded mistakes in this league. They're human. Letang's contributions far outweigh the mistakes he occasionally makes.
I know every player makes mistakes but he makes quite a few for a supposed elite defenseman. I think he is good but I just don't consider him elite. Elite would be Karlsson, Doughty,Hedmen, Pietrangelo to name a few. Are you sure you aren't a Pens fan?

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Letang is good, but I notice all the other dmen look good too.

They certainly didn't need tang to win their last cup. A pivotal choke 2 years ago had him out suspended.

Maybe he is a system D more than we think?

And he seems he oft injured. Sure he can play monster minutes, but if he misses X number of games consistently from logging the high TOI, at some point we shouldn't keep saying he logs monster minutes. Lets look at minutes logged per year, not game.

In other words, **** ****s burgh
Wing the puck up ice, dive in front of pucks and pray the goalie is in god mode if the first two aren't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad