2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Part the Fourth (News n' Scores n' Stuff) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I noticed a drop in Carlsons RS play as soon as he signed his latest contract. I call it fat cat disease and not uncommon in the NHL. Yet was almost absent from the game 25 years ago.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
And if Ship understands this is all temporary, what's the harm?

At this rate, he's playing less than half of the Golden Knights games. They need all the help they can get. With their top two goaltenders injured for a while, they're bound to run out of luck in games.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
At this rate, he's playing less than half of the Golden Knights games. They need all the help they can get. With their top two goaltenders injured for a while, they're bound to run out of luck in games.
They're building for the future, not this season. They're going to be selling assets at the deadline no matter what in order to create a talent pipeline past this year (they only have three active players under contract past next season, simply because that's the type of player that was available in the expansion draft). Winning and losing a couple games now doesn't really mean anything to them. They've already proven that they're relevant.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
They're building for the future, not this season. They're going to be selling assets at the deadline no matter what in order to create a talent pipeline past this year (they only have three active players under contract past next season, simply because that's the type of player that was available in the expansion draft). Winning and losing a couple games now doesn't really mean anything to them. They've already proven that they're relevant.

I don't deny that they're relevant, even if I see them as a longshot to make the playoffs, but they need to clear the logjam of players on defense. I'm sorry, but they've been accumulating players with very little to no value.
Also, if they want to stay relevant, they have to ice their best possible lineup at some point. I don't see the point of having Ship being buried in the AHL every two weeks when they could be operating this rotation with Tuch instead.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I don't deny that they're relevant, even if I see them as a longshot to make the playoffs, but they need to clear the logjam of players on defense. I'm sorry, but they've been accumulating players with very little to no value.
Also, if they want to stay relevant, they have to ice their best possible lineup at some point. I don't see the point of having Ship being buried in the AHL every two weeks when they could be operating this rotation with Tuch instead.
I'm not sure what their reasoning is. I do find it odd that they have sent him down. Maybe they are unhappy with his play.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
With Schmidt playing Top 2 minutes
We could sure use Schmidt right now. I Still think we should have protected Schmidt instead of Niskanen because of age and salary. There is no guarantee Vegas would have selected Niskanen because of his salary. And if Niskanen was selected we could have used the freed up money to sign a free agent defenseman. For some reason a lot of people thought Vegas would take Grubauer.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
We could sure use Schmidt right now. I Still think we should have protected Schmidt instead of Niskanen because of age and salary. There is no guarantee Vegas would have selected Niskanen because of his salary. And if Niskanen was selected we could have used the freed up money to sign a free agent defenseman. For some reason a lot of people thought Vegas would take Grubauer.

Where's the "Dislike" button?

I'm as big a Schmidt fan as any but this post is lunacy.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Maacos hot takes....good to see some new blood in the water, no matter how crazy! ;)

Don’t get discouraged when you get jumped occasionally....and welcome if you weren’t welcomed before!

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Just looking more and more organizationally inept to not realize going in that we'd have to overpay some for Kuzy and Oshie, and hence it'd make more sense to expose MoJo than Schmidt. Isn't it the job of the front office to see around corners, rather than just manage what's in front of their nose? Isn't that why GM's make the big bucks? Not to let Dick Patrick or Ted off the hook, though.

This organization just feels so stale at this point.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Maacos hot takes....good to see some new blood in the water, no matter how crazy! ;)

Don’t get discouraged when you get jumped occasionally....and welcome if you weren’t welcomed before!
I'm not discouraged at all. Everyone has a different opinion. I do not have a good opinion on Niskanen. He is one of very few Caps players over the years that I have disliked.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think most of us would hope that, during any given Caps player's career, their game would grow and evolve with time.

If/when that *does* happen, perhaps our opinions/evaluations of them should grow and evolve as well?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Sorry but I just can't stand Niskanen. That goes back to his days with the Pens.

It's fine if you don't like him, but IMO his on-ice performance over the years has made his salary palatable, especially since he was signed as a UFA. He's not a #1 stud type defenseman like Karlsson or Letang and he is limited on the PP, but he's certainly a solid option as a #2 defenseman on almost every team in the league and a #1B on the Capitals.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

The best free agent D on the market this summer was Shattenkirk. Allowing Vegas to claim Niskanen means that we would've had to sign Shattenkirk instead. No thanks.

If that's the reason then it makes no sense to send him down. If they have no intent on using him on a regular basis I assume they intend on trading him eventually.

They would like to use him on a regular basis, but they have to send down someone everytime one of their players comes of IR. Marchessault coming back from IR meant that someone had to be sent down. The only two waiver exempt players they have are Shipachyov and Tuch. For some reason, they've been sending Shipachyov down instead of Tuch.

They will trade him eventually, they'll probably trade Neal as well. The only scenario in which they don't trade these players is if they are in a playoff spot at the TDL.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Tuch has 3 points in 4 games for VGK, and at 21 years old is one of the few players they can pencil into their long term plans. It makes sense to prioritize him over the 30 year old Ship.

Even if they're in a playoff spot at the TDL, they're still going to be selling off players. They simply have way too many UFAs not to try and get something in return for them. Most of the players they picked up in the expansion draft were on short-term contracts (obviously, since the only long-term contracts exposed in the expansion draft were salary dumps). They have nine UFAs and five RFAs after this season, and an additional four UFAs next year. Riley Smith is literally the only player they have on contract past 2020, and only Clarkson (LTIRment), Eakin, and Haula join him as being under contract for 2019. While they can certainly press for an extension on a few guys, it's imperative for Vegas to get assets back on at least some of Neal, Marchessault, Perron, Garrisson, Sbisa, and McNabb at the deadline.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia