2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Part the Fourth (News n' Scores n' Stuff) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
And the only comment is some *****e whining about the camera angle. Just to have something to say. The downside of social media right there.

Hope Mojo is OK. Any news, please post

People said stupid stuff before social media.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
People said stupid stuff before social media.

That's like saying "people died before nukes". It misses the point by a mile. Social media encourages and enables everyone to just blather about everything and anything which degrades the content. Compare taking the time to buy a newspaper, read it, write a letter to the editor, mail it, and then follow up to see the responses vs. pulling out your phone and shit posting about some topic you know nothing about in less than 10 seconds. How much thought is going into that? How much more likely are people to to take the 10 seconds to shit post vs the days it takes to send even a crank letter?

Even message boards are preferable. At least on a board you can build and maintain a community with some standards. Social media is hit and run stupidity 90% of the time.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
That's like saying "people died before nukes". It misses the point by a mile. Social media encourages and enables everyone to just blather about everything and anything which degrades the content. Compare taking the time to buy a newspaper, read it, write a letter to the editor, mail it, and then follow up to see the responses vs. pulling out your phone and **** posting about some topic you know nothing about in less than 10 seconds. How much thought is going into that? How much more likely are people to to take the 10 seconds to **** post vs the days it takes to send even a crank letter?

Even message boards are preferable. At least on a board you can build and maintain a community with some standards. Social media is hit and run stupidity 90% of the time.

Social media also enables the quick and efficient spreading of the very newspaper stories you're praising. What good is a groundbreaking piece of investigative journalism if nobody reads it? Do you think the investigative journalists who spent time and effort on those stories are complaining about the extra clicks, additional readers, or the added job security they get through social media? Yeah yeah yeah, the overwhelming majority of social media is a bunch of uninformed idiots and trolls blathering about nonsense, but come on man--the 10% of social media that ISN'T stupidity goes a looong way toward spreading actual important, usable, and occasionally game-changing information.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Social media also enables the quick and efficient spreading of the very newspaper stories you're praising. What good is a groundbreaking piece of investigative journalism if nobody reads it? Do you think the investigative journalists who spent time and effort on those stories are complaining about the extra clicks, additional readers, or the added job security they get through social media? Yeah yeah yeah, the overwhelming majority of social media is a bunch of uninformed idiots and trolls blathering about nonsense, but come on man--the 10% of social media that ISN'T stupidity goes a looong way toward spreading actual important, usable, and occasionally game-changing information.

This is only looking at the positives at a time when the negatives are so bad we're having investigations and hearings about it, including one with Twitter's legal chief that I heard on CSPAN radio yesterday. It's a big issue. The real journalism loses out to clickbait and real stories lose out to fake news.

A close relative works behind the scenes for a major, major newspaper. This relative sees what's going on and I'm telling you it's bad. Even the big journalist stables are heavily influenced by the clickbait nature of today's media and the marketing people are in control. Many have turned off comments because of how bad it's gotten. The threats and crank posts that never get seen will not factor into your perception of it because they get filtered out (like they do here).

Anyway, to get back on topic sort of, I appreciate things like twitter for real updates, such as the ones kicker tends to post. That stuff is useful. I can do without the bro takes and clickbait. But that's the trend even with the heavies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Things looking pretty good early on in the Panthers tank watch (their second rounder was acquired by the Caps in the Johansson deal). They've lost seven of their last nine and sit tied for the fourth-worst record with Montreal. One of those wins came against the Caps, which was also the only game they've held a team to less than two goals so far.

Edmonton ought to figure it out eventually. Maybe. Arizona and Buffalo are likely to be pretty bad once again. Bottom five at least seems like a decent possibility for Florida so...a top 36ish pick? Not too shabby. Hopefully the Caps don't flip it at the deadline for Erik Gudbranson or some shit.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Love Pens fans claiming it just the back to backs that are the issues and everything else is fine. No, your already average D got worse and there isn't 2 starting goalies to bail the D out anymore. Also, the 1-3-1 on the road also points out their already mediocre road play from last year is actually getting worse like their D. Center depth is almost nonexistent now too!

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Love Pens fans claiming it just the back to backs that are the issues and everything else is fine. No, your already average D got worse and there isn't 2 starting goalies to bail the D out anymore. Also, the 1-3-1 on the road also points out their already mediocre road play from last year is actually getting worse like their D. Center depth is almost nonexistent now too!
Hate the Pens but I am surprised how poorly they are playing defensively. Especially Letang. He has been awful this season. He seems to be on the ice for every goal against. League worst minus 16. Have to admit I enjoy seeing the Pens get blown out.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I won't dance on the Penguins' grave. I thought they were done at this time of the year two years ago. A coaching change put them back on track and they won the Cup. We're facing them next Friday, and it won't be an easy game.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I won't dance on the Penguins' grave. I thought they were done at this time of the year two years ago. A coaching change put them back on track and they won the Cup. We're facing them next Friday, and it won't be an easy game.
I agree because they seem to always find a way.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Disagree completely. I will always feel satisfaction when they lose. I’ll waive the white flag when I die.

I actually agree with both of you. I still love seeing the Pens lose, but it's blunted. They did indeed win the war.

Meanwhile, what the hell Ottawa? That's a huge price for a questionable upgrade.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
My first thought was how does this help Ottawa financially? Eugene Melnyk is incredibly cheap.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Duchene's upside is tremendous, and definitely higher than Turris'. Whether or not Ottawa can bring that out of him remains to be seen. To an extent a lot of people believe Colorado's roster/culture has been suppressing Duchene to an extent, but it's not as if Ottawa's a destination that's known to bring the best out of forwards. Seems like a costly trade for both Ottawa and Nashville, but Nashville remedied that with a 6 year extension for Turris. And I really like Turris.

Colorado got a full rebuild by trading one player.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
At least they kept Chabot and White but still brutal. Maybe if Duchene will become a ppg player for them, they won't regret it.

Nashville has 8 forwards signed for 3 more years at least. (this one + 2 others years)
+ Fiala has 2 years of ELC

On D, 3 guys with 3 more years at least
+ Ellis has 2 years left

Goalie signed for 2 years too.

So, TOP 9, TOP 4 and the goalie signed for long tearms. And this team was 2 games away from the stanley cup.

Colorado acquired 3 picks + 3 prospects + Hammond for 1 player. Not bad

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Kevin Shattenkirk (with a strugling NYR team and after an afwul start) in 16GP
15 points, 5 goals, 8points in last 5 games, -6, 21:39, 2 PPG and 8 PPP

I know the Caps couldn't sign him this summer, but imagine if we could drop Orpik somewhere for a reasonable price. KS wouldn't hurt this team with Nisky out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->