Status
Not open for further replies.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Kevin Shattenkirk (with a strugling NYR team and after an afwul start) in 16GP
15 points, 5 goals, 8points in last 5 games, -6, 21:39, 2 PPG and 8 PPP

I know the Caps couldn't sign him this summer, but imagine if we could drop Orpik somewhere for a reasonable price. KS wouldn't hurt this team with Nisky out

Wouldn't happen anyway. It was his childhood dream to be a Rag. :snide:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Kevin Shattenkirk (with a strugling NYR team and after an afwul start) in 16GP
15 points, 5 goals, 8points in last 5 games, -6, 21:39, 2 PPG and 8 PPP

I know the Caps couldn't sign him this summer, but imagine if we could drop Orpik somewhere for a reasonable price. KS wouldn't hurt this team with Nisky out

The new #22 Bowey is already as good defensively. Sure his offensive production from the blue line would help but he never brought it here.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I was in the Chinatown metro last night and saw a Caps Jagr jersey...

I thought Caps fans who like Jagr didn't exist?

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
A super fun game between Anaheim and LA tonight. Big hits, big saves, fights, nice pace, thrilling goals and callbacks. :popcorn:

Most games have become so dull lately.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I can't ****ing believe the Rangers have won 5 in a row. Their disaster of a season was my fallback for this year. Now they've knocked the Caps back out of a playoff spot. :mad:

I must admit it's an impressive comeback. It gives me hope for us to do the same in case we fall too far out. I hope Niskanen's imminent return can get this team going again.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Jagr was the biggest mistake this team ever made.

Raise:

upload_2017-11-9_9-41-56.jpeg

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
My vote is for Stevens. Jagr looked like the right move at the time. The team Oates coached underperformed, but likely wasn't Cup quality anyway.

FF is hard to judge. They really could have used him, especially last year, but who does he replace? Williams? That's certainly an upgrade, maybe enough to get past Pitt. Do they not trade for Oshie with FF on the roster? Lots of unknowns. Of course, he has years left in his prime and is way better than Bura or Vrana.

For now it's Stevens at 1, FF at 2 for me.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Mojo placed on IR for concussion suffered on 11/1

How many is that for him? I thought he had some before but I may be wrong

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Losing Stevens was the worst for me, too. A defense core of him, Langway, Calle, and Hatcher was too brief.
Not keeping Fedorov around longer, was bad, also. I was hoping he would mentor and guide Ovechkin more, much Larionov helped Sergei. Ovi's game would be different today, maybe.
There was also a brief time that I cursed this franchise for not drafting the other 2 members of the Detroit Jr Production line, I was convinced they'd be a force in the NHL. Oh well.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Losing Stevens was the worst for me, too. A defense core of him, Langway, Calle, and Hatcher was too brief.
Not keeping Fedorov around longer, was bad, also. I was hoping he would mentor and guide Ovechkin more, much Larionov helped Sergei. Ovi's game would be different today, maybe.
There was also a brief time that I cursed this franchise for not drafting the other 2 members of the Detroit Jr Production line, I was convinced they'd be a force in the NHL. Oh well.

Indeed and to think we might have a cup, perhaps in 1992. Losing Stevens was crushing as a fan of the team and player. Getting Iafrate took some of the sting out for me, but wow it really hurt to lose an impact player like Stevens. I never liked Hatcher and always felt they should have paid Stevens and dealt Hatcher. Losing Dino hurt a ton also.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
IafrateOvie34 said:
I believe the Caps would have several Cups if they kept Stevens, starting with the 92 team.
Absolutely! We really weren't that far off, losing him changed things. Hatcher atually played quite physical early on, then for some reason got soft, I didn't care for him much in his later tenure. Dino was one of my favorite trades of all time, Gartner & Murphy for Dino & Rouse. Ciccarelli was a feisty little fellow, and was much needed at the time. The limo incident I think was the catalyst for his departure, that trade I think was one of the worst, Dino for Kevin Miller. Miller was later traded for Cavallini, who I think (may be wrong), was traded for Enrico? Ciccarelli ended up with a nice career.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Absolutely! We really weren't that far off, losing him changed things. Hatcher atually played quite physical early on, then for some reason got soft, I didn't care for him much in his later tenure. Dino was one of my favorite trades of all time, Gartner & Murphy for Dino & Rouse. Ciccarelli was a feisty little fellow, and was much needed at the time. The limo incident I think was the catalyst for his departure, that trade I think was one of the worst, Dino for Kevin Miller. Miller was later traded for Cavallini, who I think (may be wrong), was traded for Enrico? Ciccarelli ended up with a nice career.
I believe the Caps would have several Cups if they kept Stevens, starting with the 92 team.

And if the Caps win the Cup at least in the 90s, perhaps the Ovechkin-era Caps win the Cup as well, because the pressure to win the first championship in Capitals' history doesn't exist and therefore the Caps don't choke as much in the Ovechkin era.

:cry:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Stevens wins it IMO. If the Caps kept Stevens, we might've won the Cup in '98. Oh well.

Stevens provided value to Washington for about 20 years after he was sent to St. Louis

Scott_Stevens_Tree.jpg

Graphic from 2012, so we'll ignore what happened with those active assets afterwards. :laugh:

But the point being, if they don't let Stevens sign with StL, they never get Gonchar or Witt. Gonchar turned into some of the Boudreau-era defensemen (and as maligned as they were, they were at least bona-fide NHL defenders for a few years and helped the team return to the playoffs). Witt turned into Varlamov.

Last edited:
Reactions: brachyrynchos

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Or they just draft differently and maybe have even better guys lol. 3 pretty good D and a disappointing G for one of the all-time greats isn’t enough return for this fan. Stevens was special.

If your point was, at least they got some guys that could play at the NHL level, agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad