2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Part the Fourth (News n' Scores n' Stuff) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I agree that Alzners game has regressed over the past couple years. Unfortunate because I like him. I mentioned Alzner regression on another message board and I was blasted big time by a couple people. That message board appears to be controlled by veteran members. The moderator does absolutely nothing. I think there are more posts unrelated to hockey than there is about hockey. A lot of hostility there and lacking of hockey intellence. This board appears to have members with a higher hockey IQ. You seem to be a very knowledgeable hockey fan Easy as do others here.

Thanks for the compliment, we're glad to have you here as well.

What board are you talking about, out of curiosity?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Seems like Carlson peaked a couple years ago. I think Carlson is trying to do too much. There is a lot of pressure on him. He is playing a ton of minutes, playing in all situations. Carlson hasn't played great. He had a couple bad games but has played decent in the others. I feel Orlov has been worse and Niskanen was awful before his injury.

Orlov is handling the extra minutes better than Carlson. Orlov has more gas in the tank and he's a better skater, that's what allows him to make the right plays even when he is tired. Carlson suffers from his lack of stamina and speed.

Something happened to Carlson these past two years. Watch a Caps game from 2014-2015 and you will notice a huge difference in 74's skating speed.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Orlov is handling the extra minutes better than Carlson. Orlov has more gas in the tank and he's a better skater, that's what allows him to make the right plays even when he is tired. Carlson suffers from his lack of stamina and speed.

Something happened to Carlson these past two years. Watch a Caps game from 2014-2015 and you will notice a huge difference in 74's skating speed.

He's been injured a few times. A lot of guys cannot get back to their previous form after suffering injuries, especially if those injuries were lower-body (like Carlson's were).

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

I have noticed that about Carlson too. He has had some injuries the past couple of seasons. Maybe that has something to do with it. I don't know if Orlov has handled the extra minutes better. Yes he is a better skater but I don't think he has played very well this season. I was really hoping Orlov would take another step and become a number one defenseman. That hasn't happened yet.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's weird though, because he looked pretty good just a few months ago in the playoffs.
I noticed there are some mixed feelings about Carlson amongst Caps fans. He isn't my favorite Cap but I do think he is our best all-around defenseman. Our score isn't looking right now.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I noticed there are some mixed feelings about Carlson amongst Caps fans. He isn't my favorite Cap but I do think he is our best all-around defenseman. Our score isn't looking right now.

With all due respect, I think Niskanen is our best D. He is by far the one I trust the most defensively.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm not saying this is actually what's happening on the ice or is a general indicator of his level of play, BUUUT...

I feel like the vast majority of times a goal is scored against the Caps, right after the puck goes in the net, you see Carlson skate by, looking at the sky, with the same dumb expression on his face that says, "I totally missed my defensive assignment again, didn't I?"

At this point, I expect to see it even if Carlson wasn't on the ice when the goal was scored. Like, if he's on the bench for a goal against, he'll hop out during the break in play and do a quick Loop Of Shame around the net out of habit.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'm not saying this is actually what's happening on the ice or is a general indicator of his level of play, BUUUT...

I feel like the vast majority of times a goal is scored against the Caps, right after the puck goes in the net, you see Carlson skate by, looking at the sky, with the same dumb expression on his face that says, "I totally missed my defensive assignment again, didn't I?"

At this point, I expect to see it even if Carlson wasn't on the ice when the goal was scored. Like, if he's on the bench for a goal against, he'll hop out during the break in play and do a quick Loop Of Shame around the net out of habit.
Well he has been on the ice for a few goals but he does play way more minutes than any other defenseman. Against Philly he was on the ice for the first 2 goals but none of the others. Against the Panthers he was on the ice on that play when Djoos coughed up the puck and he was on for the empty net goal. But considering how much ice time he gets we shouldn't be surprised.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
With all due respect, I think Niskanen is our best D. He is by far the one I trust the most defensively.
He is OK defensively but he takes lazy penalties and doesn't move the puck as well as Carlson. Niskanen doesn't pinch very well either, seems to get caught a lot. Niskanen is more physical and might be better defensively but Carlson does everything else better. Better on the pp and pk. He has a better shot, is more mobile and is a better shot blocker. I think Orlov could be better than both of them eventually. I really don't care for Niskanen. I think he is overrated and we definitely overpaid for him.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Pens vs. Oils could be interesting. Do the Pens have another game of GA of 5 or more and get the Oils scoring touch back?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He is OK defensively but he takes lazy penalties and doesn't move the puck as well as Carlson. Niskanen doesn't pinch very well either, seems to get caught a lot. Niskanen is more physical and might be better defensively but Carlson does everything else better. Better on the pp and pk. He has a better shot, is more mobile and is a better shot blocker. I think Orlov could be better than both of them eventually. I really don't care for Niskanen. I think he is overrated and we definitely overpaid for him.

does not compute...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I don't share your opinion on that one.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Carlson has slipped a bit the last year or so, but he played well in the playoffs, and I think he is under a microscope more than others around here. Nobody counts how many times they see others on the ice for goals, but we look for 74. Overall he is our 2nd best defensman and is playing in the 1 spot right now. Orlov is improving but he isn't there yet, and Orpik well is Orpik. Best case scenario is we tread water till Niski gets back, Carlson can anchor the 2nd pair again, and we have an improved Djoos/Bowey with the ice time they have gotten. Then maybe we will have a decent D corp for the second half of the season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Carlson has slipped a bit the last year or so, but he played well in the playoffs, and I think he is under a microscope more than others around here. Nobody counts how many times they see others on the ice for goals, but we look for 74. Overall he is our 2nd best defensman and is playing in the 1 spot right now. Orlov is improving but he isn't there yet, and Orpik well is Orpik. Best case scenario is we tread water till Niski gets back, Carlson can anchor the 2nd pair again, and we have an improved Djoos/Bowey with the ice time they have gotten. Then maybe we will have a decent D corp for the second half of the season.

A few people have been feverishly beating the Carlson drum for a few years now, while glossing over the performances of their favorite young D. He’s Definitely over critiqued overall IMO. HOWEVER, he’s due a painful raise and if he doesn’t play like a true 1b/2a (IMO) that he is, the next 5-6 years, it’s going to hurt taking on that contract. I do get a laugh when I see people casually say to trade him with (clearly) little to no thought as to how much load he shoulders. I’m not against trading almost anyone, but you can’t trade him for futures and be a playoff team. This is where Orlov and Orpik need to step up and the young guys, you hope tread water at a minimum.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

He's under the microscope because his contract is expiring this year and we all know he's going to ask for a huge raise. We want to see if he's worth that raise. So far, all signs point to him not being worth it. We need a real #1D, and Carlson will never be that guy for us. It's time for us to let him go, just like we did with Green, Alzner and Shattenkirk.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yeah... don't think you'll find many on here who agree with that take on Niskanen.
Not sure why people are so high on Niskanen. He makes almost 2 million more per season than Carlson. What has he ever done that warrants that salary?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He's under the microscope because his contract is expiring this year and we all know he's going to ask for a huge raise. We want to see if he's worth that raise. So far, all signs point to him not being worth it. We need a real #1D, and Carlson will never be that guy for us. It's time for us to let him go, just like we did with Green, Alzner and Shattenkirk.
I'm sure we won't be keeping Carlson. We don't have the capspace. I'm not saying Carlson is an elite dman but it will be hard to find someone that plays in all situations and can play big minutes. I don't think Niskanen is the guy. He is already over 30. Maybe Orlov can be that guy. We do have some good prospects in our system. In 2 or 3 years we could again have a solid core.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Just heard Burakovsky will be out 6 to 8 weeks. Unfortunate for him. I thought he was starting to play better in recent games. Caps have called up Chandler Stevenson who has been about the only bright spot for the Hershey Bears this season. Hope he does well.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
A few people have been feverishly beating the Carlson drum for a few years now, while glossing over the performances of their favorite young D. He’s Definitely over critiqued overall IMO. HOWEVER, he’s due a painful raise and if he doesn’t play like a true 1b/2a (IMO) that he is, the next 5-6 years, it’s going to hurt taking on that contract. I do get a laugh when I see people casually say to trade him with (clearly) little to no thought as to how much load he shoulders. I’m not against trading almost anyone, but you can’t trade him for futures and be a playoff team. This is where Orlov and Orpik need to step up and the young guys, you hope tread water at a minimum.

And I agree with you. Carlson has a golden opportunity to show why he deserves big money with Niski out. If he doesn't take it, I'm using that against him if I'm the caps. The only way I trade him at the TDL is if we are completely out of it and the season has bombed. And if that has happened, I'm leaning towards fire sale anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad