OT: 2015 Redskins Part II: Post-Draft Pre-Preseason Snoozefest (0-0-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They're going to have to back up the truck for Trent. No way around it I don't think. Moses is decent. It's LG & C that likely need upgrading at some point but not at the top of the draft ala last year.

QB/DE/CB would be the obvious more glaring fits.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Cook has proven to NFL evaluators that he has a big arm, pocket presence, the mobility to avoid rushers and roll out, and the ability to make the occasional precision throw. Cook plays in a pro-style system and has shown steady improvement with his ability to function out of the pocket while working through his progressions.

Sold.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've been waiting for RG3 to have ideal conditions before moving on from him. I'd prefer to see him blow up in the regular season before entirely giving up, but I'm presently super tempted to give up on him after last night. Nothing I saw from last night looked like he had learned a single goddamned thing. He has had time. He has not advanced.

What did he look like in the last game?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I've been waiting for RG3 to have ideal conditions before moving on from him. I'd prefer to see him blow up in the regular season before entirely giving up, but I'm presently super tempted to give up on him after last night. Nothing I saw from last night looked like he had learned a single goddamned thing. He has had time. He has not advanced.

OK but I don't think he threw as much. He had a few incompletions and a kind of lucky long completion he made while scrambling. Garcon also dropped a probable TD bomb that might have been a little underthrown but should still have been a catch.

vs. Cle: 4 of 8 for 39 yds, 4.5yds/att, no sacks, 1 rush for 3yds
vs Det: 2 of 5 for 8 yds, 1.6yds/att, 3 sacks and hit 6 times, 1 fumble lost

:shakehead

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yup. Sad to say this is how I see it too.

My fear, and what I think is most realistic, is The Dan panics and ****s this up by meddling into GMSM's rebuilding plans.

It will be a real "tell".

Not resign RG3, and allow McGlou to have the say on new coach. I see Broooden getting canned about 10 games in (say at 2-8), which will allow the team to have a LONG time to determine who it wants as the next coach. Callahan will get the reigns for the remainder of the season (and that's all, he's a terrible long term HC), and they get the right guy for next season.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

4 years in. His fundamentals are brutal.

I actually expect them to run read-option a lot early this season, but he won't last.

The worst thing that could happen is for them to trade Cousins. Another Trent Green situation.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

That's the "I quit" moment for me. Forget progressing on a mental level. The guy isn't even progressing on a basic athletic level. Like...what the **** is he even doing? What is he working on? There is no asterisk this time, for the first time; it hasn't mattered.

The worst thing that could happen is for them to trade Cousins. Another Trent Green situation.

Cousins isn't going to become anything here. Not behind this line. He gets rushed and makes disastrous decisions for the sake of not getting turned into ground meat. I also strongly dislike his noodle arm. Our QB solution is not on the team yet. At best he, like McCoy, is nothing but a stop-gap.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010

I actually expect them to run read-option a lot early this season, but he won't last.

The reality is they should of never went away from it. That's RG3's strength and that's what made the team so dangerous, injury be damned.

No way Gruden runs that though, he doesn't have the coaching ability Shanny had.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I actually think Cousins has a decent read average arm. Where he impresses me, is deep ball accuracy. He only has 9 starts, he needs more games to be judged. He too will be less likely to Rex it with confidence behind a real OL.

It seems that last RG3 play is the straw that broke the camels back for many.... we must remind ourselves, it's preseason - the games are a joke, and RG3 in the pocket all year cannot be the Gruden offense he is keeping close to the vest....

But man oh man its tough thinking RG3 is the future of this franchise today.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
RG3 is what he is now. The blame for this SITUATION has to lay at the feet of Allen and Snyder. They were the ones that wanted RG3 despite the desires of their coach, they gave RG3 a terrible field to play (and get hurt) on, they coddled him and undermined the coach, they went out and got a new coach to change Robert and in doing so picked a guy who wants nothing to do with him and can't use him.

It's a total mess. SMac is the man in the middle and he has to do something about it. He has to be the one to cut bait somewhere...coach or QB...maybe in both places.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
RG3 is what he is now. The blame for this SITUATION has to lay at the feet of Allen and Snyder. They were the ones that wanted RG3 despite the desires of their coach, they gave RG3 a terrible field to play (and get hurt) on, they coddled him and undermined the coach, they went out and got a new coach to change Robert and in doing so picked a guy who wants nothing to do with him and can't use him.

It's a total mess. SMac is the man in the middle and he has to do something about it. He has to be the one to cut bait somewhere...coach or QB...maybe in both places.

I vote both. RGIII may generate a decent return from Denver of Houston (or even Philly). Fire Gruden from a cannon into the sun and never hire someone for their last name ever again.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's almost getting awkward watching RG3.

It's like watching a forechecker Rupp bearing down on Mike Green in 2010. Or a #1 goalie that gives up soft goals and gets injured making saves. Nothing ever looks polished that RG3 does. He does 360s in the pocket, never steps up nor slides sideways.

Gruden is in way over his head still. Sure RG3 is not his guy but then suck it up and stop pretending he is, and use him to his strengths. 4 wide up tempo is a fine starting point, but Gruden would rather run his playbook and fail, versus alter it and have a chance at eeking into the playoffs. We dont have any TEs anyways. He finally got some decent coaches, but he is still running his Cincy playbook blindly because you know, Dalton.

I still say Gruden had a worse year than RG3. No QB coach, a nobody OC, retained Haslett, and reinforced a 3 headed monster at QB was best for us. It was the Tusker Challenge.

When you have 2 QBs, you have none. We have 3.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
What trade value does a head case injury prone QB with horrible mechanics and a 16 mil 5th year option have?

Little to none.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's almost getting awkward watching RG3.

It's like watching a forechecker Rupp bearing down on Mike Green in 2010. Or a #1 goalie that gives up soft goals and gets injured making saves. Nothing ever looks polished that RG3 does. He does 360s in the pocket, never steps up nor slides sideways.

Gruden is in way over his head still. Sure RG3 is not his guy but then suck it up and stop pretending he is, and use him to his strengths. 4 wide up tempo is a fine starting point, but Gruden would rather run his playbook and fail, versus alter it and have a chance at eeking into the playoffs. He finally got some decent coaches around us, but he is still running his Cincy playbook blindly because you know, Dalton.

I still say Gruden had a worse year than RG3. No QB coach, a nobody OC, retained Haslett, and reinforced a 3 headed monster at QB was best for us. It was the Tusker Challenge.

When you have 2 QBs, you have none. We have 3.

I think we can now safely say it's not a matter of Gruden just being obstinate. Gruden is stuck and the frustration is showing. His boss above him and his QB below him are controlling him and his team, and it's dragging his reputation and record down in the process.

Gruden is being told to start RG3 and to make him a pocket passer. His job depends on it, but he knows that won't happen. If Gruden was in control I have no doubt now that RG3 would be benched or traded. He's not being given the option of running the 2012 offense. It's totally off the table.

I think Gruden is contemplating how he's going to survive this, either as the Skins coach or somewhere else. Possibly next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad