OT: 2015 Redskins Part II: Post-Draft Pre-Preseason Snoozefest (0-0-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Mel Kiper:

I don’t think there was a softer team in the NFL the past season than the Redskins, especially on defense, where they simply didn’t tackle. If there was a clear trend with this draft, it was a new GM drafting for toughness and attitude. Washington got a lot tougher on both sides of the ball in the first two rounds. … Later on, they again got more physical with Arie Kouandjio and Martrell Spaight. When I went through tape with Jon Gruden, Spaight was one of his favorite players in the entire draft. I agree with [Tood] McShay that everywhere you look, they got tougher. Overall, I was really impressed with this draft.

He gave the Redskins an A-, which is the highest grade he gave out, only four other teams received that grade.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Tom Schad ‏@Tom_Schad
McCloughan said he wanted to trade down at 5, but everyone wanted Fowler. Once he was picked, trade talks quieted.

Ovechkin

Sep 14, 2005
That pic says I'm leaving a strip club at sunrise because I ate all the wings.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
That pic says I'm leaving a strip club at sunrise because I ate all the wings.

What's wrong with that? :(

On topic: Very pleased with the draft. I know a couple of the line picks are long shots but still depth is nice. Especially if guys like LeRibeus and Morgan Moses don't prove something soon.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
"Probably Guilty"

Thats a joke. Either Brady did something or he didn't.

After reading the above linked article I did find something interesting. In the beginning of the article this is said:

The report said all 11 of the Patriots' game balls, when re-tested at halftime, were below the minimum level specified by NFL rules of 12.5 psi. The four Colts game balls that were re-tested were between 12.5 and 13.5 psi, so they were within the rules.

Then in the quoted Robert Kraft response to the report Kraft says this:

What is not highlighted in the text of the report is that three of the Colts’ four footballs measured by at least one official were under the required psi level.

Real factual stuff.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
"Probably Guilty"

Thats a joke. Either Brady did something or he didn't.

"Based on the evidence, we also have concluded that it is more probable than not that Tom Brady was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities of [Jim] McNally and [John] Jastremski involving the release of air from Patriots game balls," the report said.

ESPN's Adam Schefter said the NFL is considering punishment for Brady.

It's language fluff plucked for the article. They don't have a smoking gun video or confession but they think he was involved. It's 120+ pages. A few words here and there aren't going to let him off the hook if they're considering punishment.

Read the article. They were deflating the balls because Brady didn't like how they were inflating them.

There are text messages between McNally and Patriots equipment assistant John Jastremski that discuss the inflation of footballs through last season and Brady's displeasure over the level following a game against the New York Jets last season. Included in the texts are messages in which McNally referred to himself as “the deflator†and stated that he was “not going to espn……..yet.â€

Here's a passage from the report in which it specifically addresses that Brady was unhappy with the inflation level of the Patriots' game balls.

"In the weeks and months before the AFC Championship Game, McNally periodically exchanged text messages with the Patriots equipment assistant primarily responsible for the preparation of the Patriots game balls, John Jastremski. In a number of those text messages, McNally and Jastremski discussed the air pressure of Patriots game balls, Tom Brady's unhappiness with the inflation level of Patriots game balls, Jastremski's plan to provide McNally with a “needle†for use by McNally, and McNally's requests for “cash†and sneakers together with the “needle†to be provided by Jastremski. A sports ball inflation needle is a device that can be used to inflate a football (if attached to an air pump) or release air from a football (if inserted alone into a ball)."

So yeah. It wasn't changing air temperatures or any of that crap. It was intentional and Brady appears to have been involved somehow.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
So yeah. It wasn't changing air temperatures or any of that crap. It was intentional and Brady appears to have been involved somehow.

But what about the fact that 3 of 4 Colts footballs tested at halftime were below the league minimum?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
But what about the fact that 3 of 4 Colts footballs tested at halftime were below the league minimum?

Huh?

The four Colts game balls that were re-tested were between 12.5 and 13.5 psi, so they were within the rules.

What you're talking about is from Kraft's complaint and isn't listed in the article as being part of the report. We don't even know if Kraft's statement is true. Kraft is also hemming and hawing about cold weather even though the league concluded that wasn't a factor:

The NFL examined whether the cold weather could have caused the big drop in the air pressure in the Patriots' game balls, but the report said "the reduction in pressure of the Patriots game balls cannot be explained completely by basic scientific principles." The pressure drop in the Patriots' game balls exceeded the drop in the Colts' game balls. The investigation also ruled out other factors such as ball preparation including the "vigorous rubbing" of the footballs described by Belichick in a news conference the week after the Colts game.

If the league could come out and whitewash this to defend the SB Champs, don't you think they would? This is pretty damning and conclusive. The balls were doctored. If there was some other issue with the Colts balls that's not listed in this article about this official report, then that should be another investigation. It doesn't change the actual findings against the Patriots.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Just as a reminder, the NFL does not have the same burden of proof as a court of law. Yes the evidence is circumstantial. There is no smoking gun testimony, or video or recording of Tom telling McNally to deflate balls below legal limits. Tom did not relinquish his phone, so we do not have his texts and/or calls. He doesn't have to, there is no subpoena or anything.

That does not mean that the NFL won't suspend Tom or sanction the Patriots. As I said, their burden of proof is lower than the law. It is basically whatever they choose to make it. Usually the league is a little more lenient when the teams are cooperative. The Patriots were not. They denied a follow up interview with McNally and Tom wouldn't give his phone records. The fine & suspension could be heavy. With it being Tom Brady and the Patriots, it could also be a slap on the wrist.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
So Kraft is purposely lying about the fact the Colts under inflated footballs were left out of the report in his press release and "probably guilty" is enough to state with out a doubt Tom Brady is a cheater?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
So Kraft is purposely lying about the fact the Colts under inflated footballs were left out of the report in his press release and "probably guilty" is enough to state with out a doubt Tom Brady is a cheater?

This is not a court of law. We do not have all of the evidence because the Patriots denied access to some of it. It won't be definitive until McNally writes a book in ten years or someone comes out and confesses before that. This is the court of public opinion. People's minds have been made up before with far less circumstantial evidence.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
This is not a court of law. We do not have all of the evidence because the Patriots denied access to some of it. It won't be definitive until McNally writes a book in ten years or someone comes out and confesses before that. This is the court of public opinion. People's minds have been made up before with far less circumstantial evidence.

And a sure fire HOF QBs reputation is trashed by a supposedly independent report thats earth shaking conclusion has "probably" in it. What a joke.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
McClou just said on 980 that Scherff will play RT and in the future, if McClou can get a better RT, Scherff will move to guard.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He has probably has had deflated balls long before he met Giselle, to accommodate his tiny hands.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
hahaha Brady basically caught RED HANDED! Love it. LOVE THE TEXTS between the equipment guys!

The real damning stuff?

The report mentioned the Patriots were supposed to fully cooperate yet Brady wouldn't release his text records and the Patriots refused to allow the guy to interview the equipment guy afterwards.

Brady buying shoes for the "deflatinator" or whatever the guy called himself.

Love the text "I'm not going to ESPN...yet..." He really thought Brady was a doosh.

More will be revealed in due time when TMZ gets a hold of the "deflator" and gets him to tell his story for some serious cash.

The Wells report said that the Patriots refused to make officials locker room attendant Jim McNally available for a follow-up interview which was requested, “despite our offer to meet at any time and location that would be convenient for McNally.”

The report said Patriots counsel apparently didn’t inform McNally of the request, and that the refusal “violated the club‟s obligations to cooperate with the investigation under the Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of League Rules and was inconsistent with public statements made by the Patriots pledging full cooperation with the investigation.”

That sets the stage for some significant punishment for the team, which began this process with bluster, demanding an apology from the league if no evidence was found.

The team wasn’t alone playing keep-away, as quarterback Tom Brady refused to provide text messages and e-mails “even though those requests were limited to the subject matter of our investigation” which means they weren’t just looking for cell phone pics of Gisele Bundchen.

The report also concluded that the Patriots “questioned the integrity and objectivity of game officials, various NFL executives and certain NFL Security representatives present at the AFC Championship Game or otherwise involved in the investigative process.”

That’s not surprising. People put on the defensive act defensively. But the team that boasted about full cooperation then refused to cooperate fully, and that’s something the organization will likely answer for soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/06/wells-report-chides-patriots-for-not-cooperating-with-investigation/

Last edited:

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
And a sure fire HOF QBs reputation is trashed by a supposedly independent report thats earth shaking conclusion has "probably" in it. What a joke.

It is all we, Joe Public, have to go on, and the circumstantial evidence points to he knew about it or endorsed it. There is no hard evidence of any kind.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am predicting the guy is innocent, and think Cowboys made a great haul. If it was his kid and he did it, I think he would have OJ'd or caved under pressure.

I was quietly hoping Scott would draft him with our last pick.

Heck Ray Lewis had his problems and remained a fan fav until the end.

But Ray Rice seems to have scared teams. Guilty until proven innocent is the new norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad