OT: 2015 Redskins Part II: Post-Draft Pre-Preseason Snoozefest (0-0-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
lets talk about something optimistic haha. how great is Tress Way? if the offense stinks it up, he saves the defense by punting the ball far. pro bowl this year maybe?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Tress Way had a valid argument for consideration as MVP last year. His punting gave the D so much more room to work after the offense generally failed. He did much to keep things from being worse.

Edit: Team MVP lol. Not league, just to dispel potential confusion.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
So, was Theismann right (he was cleared)?

Possibly. We will never know for sure.

But it is odd that the "franchise" QB (who is injury prone) got the snot beaten out of him, came away with a bum shoulder and "minor concussion" and 2 days later he is back at full practice. That doesn't pass the sniff test.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
His contract is hard to deal ATM. What is it, 16m? Who has that cap space?

Forget returns....my guess is he will just leave as an FA. Oh, what might have been.

The Skins picked up Griffin's 5th year option, which is 16mil for next year. Griffin is on the last year of his rookie year this year. I don't know what the $ amount is but its a lot less than 16mil.

In regards to the 5th year option, if Griffin is on the team when the league year starts next year the Skins owe him 16mil no matter what. Or at least thats how I understand it, but I certainly could be wrong.

So, the only way Griffin leaves prior to next year is if he is traded or cut. And short of a miracle return to his play in '12, no team will trade for Griffin with 16mil guaranteed next year.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
There's literally nothing to be optimistic about when it comes to the Redskins. I think The Dan will do what he always does and meddle once he panics and he'll **** everything up with GMSM before he gets a chance to do what he was hired to do.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
There's literally nothing to be optimistic about when it comes to the Redskins. I think The Dan will do what he always does and meddle once he panics and he'll **** everything up with GMSM before he gets a chance to do what he was hired to do.

I try very hard to be optimistic at the beginning of every year. Not winning the SB optimistic, but optimistic for a good showing. Having said that, its clear whatever good the Skins do will be quickly undermined by LiL Danny in some way.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

as a former kicker (obviously not as good as forbath) having a quad injury is the worst spot for a kicker

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Gruden says Robert Griffin III, if cleared, will start Saturday against the Baltimore Ravens. #WASvsBAL

Per skins Twitter

Sep 19, 2008
On one hand you want him to get more practice against live competition but you also don't want him to get hurt

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not surprised. The night of the game I watched that play over and over in slow motion and I couldn't find anything that looked like it would cause a concussion. I know it's sometimes hard to tell, but I really didn't see much of any head contact at all. Looked like a typical pile-up.

Option B is Robert is lying to the doctors to game the system. I don't know if that's even possible with the tests they use...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't get the people who are yelling about Griffin getting too much time against first string D in the preseason. Newsflash people, that is what he will face during the season. It is unavoidable.

I strongly suspect the bulk of the RG3 defenders left aren't the people who were waiting to see how he would advance with a healthy full offseason. They're the Tebow Cult type of fan.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
RG3's pocket awareness seems to be getting worse. He's always been awkward but at least slippery in the prime Vick way. Now he just freezes as it crashes down on him. That ball needs to come out quicker,crisper and with confidence or he's going to struggle.

I still think the team does well this year and is surprisingly competitive.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
From a recent Mike Jones article in the WaPost:

Asked how Griffin has made such a quick recovery, Gruden had no answers.

“I have no idea,†he said. “He just went through the necessary steps with the doctors and the concussion steps that are implemented by our training staff and so far, he has taken the necessary steps. It’s been two full days and today’s Sunday afternoon, so he’s had some time to recover and go through the necessary steps. He hasn’t been totally cleared yet. Like I said, he’s still got to go to the neurosurgeon, but we’ll see.â€

And, Gruden on Griffin and the #1's getting more work in the pre-season:

“I would have gone more the other day, to be honest with you,†Gruden said, referring to the amount of snaps he gave Griffin against Detroit. “I think we need the work. We absolutely need the work, whether he takes one shot or 10 shots, we’ve got to get him – we’ve got to get our offense going. And our right side needs work. Our center, our left guard, our left tackle, they need work. Our tight ends, our receivers together breaking the huddle, calling plays. We were a 4-12 football team last year and for me to rest our starters after one series in a preseason game is to me not right. We need the practice so we are going to try to get as much as we can, being that he’s cleared. If he is cleared.â€

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-him-at-baltimore/?postshare=1271440365651621

Gruden is right, the offense needs all the work it can get.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
RG3 was still on the ground after coming back from the commercial.... and then poof no severe injury as it turns out. I am wondering if he milked it to turn attention away from a preseason aside mind numbing fumble, on just a dumb play to take off and run, backed up 3rd and 16 with 3 guys open in front of him. With league MVP to be Tress Way having his back.

I posted about it before the game, he needs to stop feigning injury every time he is tackled, and get his ass back to the huddle pronto. I learned after his first year, he often looks injured but is not. He just waits an extra few seconds longer than all other players I have ever seen getting up from getting tackled. He lays face down in the turf motionless... I am sure we have all seen it.

I think he got the wind knocked out of him stretching for the ball as that DT landed on him. Decided to play the shoulder card, then thought better of it.

#HighDrama

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
RG3 was still on the ground after coming back from the commercial.... and then poof no severe injury as it turns out. I am wondering if he milked it to turn attention away from a preseason aside mind numbing fumble, on just a dumb play to take off and run, backed up 3rd and 16 with 3 guys open in front of him. With league MVP to be Tress Way having his back.

I posted about it before the game, he needs to stop feigning injury every time he is tackled, and get his ass back to the huddle pronto. I learned after his first year, he often looks injured but is not. He just waits an extra few seconds longer than all other players I have ever seen getting up from getting tackled. He lays face down in the turf motionless... I am sure we have all seen it.

I think he got the wind knocked out of him stretching for the ball as that DT landed on him. Decided to play the shoulder card, then thought better of it.

#HighDrama

I've noticed. I'm not sure why he does it. Could be just checking to make sure everything is still in place. Maybe he wants everyone to see "oh look, the line failed again". It might be a few seconds of "I could just stay down...I don't have to keep doing this". LOL who knows. He's probably just saying a prayer or affirmation.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Prayer lol.

Heh it seems even Gruden knows something wasn't quite right with the stinger the concussion nothing. Time on the ground with no injury may be a new record for him. Posing... dude they went away to a commercial.

Maybe RG3 got tired of getting hit. It was freaking preseason and most of the hits were not his fault. Gruden refused to give Willie help or max protect....

Those 2 seem to have an odd relationship. The oddest part? They live across the street.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Shanny talking RG3 again, this time on Mike & Mike. Dan Steinberg has the highlights:

“To be honest with you, you don’t get to study him on a day-to-day basis,” Shanahan said. “I don’t look at his film every day. But I can give you an opinion after my first year when I was there: you get a guy like Robert who’s been with an offense, very comfortable with what he did in college. He never had a playbook. Never had two-level throws or three-level throws. So you could see very quickly that was going to take some time.

“But you had a guy that had some great athletic skills, a guy that was very smart, a guy that was into the game,” Shanahan said. “And what you try to do is utilize those talents and go with it. You know, some guys, at the end of the season — like Robert did — he felt like he was a little bit more of a drop-back passer than a few of us thought. And now he’s going to have a chance to go out and prove himself.”

The underlined bit caught my eye. So Shanny is saying Griffin at the end of '12 saw himself as more of a drop back passer. Which led to the drama that followed and, ultimately, the Shanahans getting fired. Seems to support the thought that the pocket passer BS we are dealing with now is indeed driven by the Griffin's. RG3 and RGjr. Fantastic.

And then Steinberg threw in this at the end of his blog post:

Meanwhile, Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman on Monday quoted an anonymous head coach on the latest Griffin-Jay Gruden drama, with the coach saying “I can’t think of a single head coach in the NFL who would take an injury-prone quarterback, put him behind a very shaky offensive line, in a preseason game, watch him take those kinds of hits and leave him in the game. It looks personal to me.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-mike-shanahan-is-talking-about-rgiii-again/

Anonymous comments suck, IMO, if you care enough to comment then put your name on it and stand by it. Anyway, there is one mystery HC who thinks what Gruden did in the DET game was personal against Griffin, or maybe Griffin, LiL Danny and Brother Bruce. I disagree, but considering the Russell report that LiL Danny thought Gruden was stealing money, maybe there is something to the personal angle. Regardless, more drama and less football once again with this team. Really getting old.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Shanny talking RG3 again, this time on Mike & Mike. Dan Steinberg has the highlights:

The underlined bit caught my eye. So Shanny is saying Griffin at the end of '12 saw himself as more of a drop back passer. Which led to the drama that followed and, ultimately, the Shanahans getting fired. Seems to support the thought that the pocket passer BS we are dealing with now is indeed driven by the Griffin's. RG3 and RGjr. Fantastic.

And then Steinberg threw in this at the end of his blog post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-mike-shanahan-is-talking-about-rgiii-again/

Anonymous comments suck, IMO, if you care enough to comment then put your name on it and stand by it. Anyway, there is one mystery HC who thinks what Gruden did in the DET game was personal against Griffin, or maybe Griffin, LiL Danny and Brother Bruce. I disagree, but considering the Russell report that LiL Danny thought Gruden was stealing money, maybe there is something to the personal angle. Regardless, more drama and less football once again with this team. Really getting old.

edit: I had to go back and look at the schedule...was it late 2012 and the Browns game that Shanahan said RG3 was wondering about why they were running a different offense for the other QBs? Getting the years mixed up.

The main thing that seems consistent is this pocket QB thing has come from outside the coaching staff from day 1, whenever day 1 actually was. And it was probably a combination of RG3's camp and Snyder together, as we now totally see Snyder pulling Gruden's puppet strings and forcing him to wedge RG3 into the starting role in a pocket passing, West Coast offense.

On the issue of Gruden leaving RG3 out there to get hurt, I don't buy it. I considered it, but it really only makes the waters muddier for Gruden if RG3 is hurt. If he really, really believes RG3 can't cut it his best option is to let him play, fail, and waste the damn season. RG3 being on the shelf only keeps the questions about the future alive.

Based on Gruden's comments about the injury from yesterday I'd say Gruden just went along with the injury excuse to get Robert out of the game and away from the mic, and there was no intent to get him hurt or cover it up. You could see on all those blown plays that there were plenty of receivers open. It's not like RG3 was just hung out to dry....he simply failed to get the ball out. That's not a function of the coach leaving him in too long.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I've noticed. I'm not sure why he does it. Could be just checking to make sure everything is still in place. Maybe he wants everyone to see "oh look, the line failed again". It might be a few seconds of "I could just stay down...I don't have to keep doing this". LOL who knows. He's probably just saying a prayer or affirmation.
Partially I think he does it to try to draw flags. Not all the time but some of the time. He's definitely exaggerated in other situations in order to try to draw them.

The question is what happens first: injury or benching? I'm guessing injury. Gruden likely considers him an albatross at this point.

On a related note: Griffin injured in 19.6% of his starts.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Partially I think he does it to try to draw flags. Not all the time but some of the time. He's definitely exaggerated in other situations in order to try to draw them.

The question is what happens first: injury or benching? I'm guessing injury. Gruden likely considers him an albatross at this point.

He's not helping his case if fooling the refs is his goal. I'm sure they pay pretty close attention to that and he'll get a reputation as a malingerer if he doesn't already have one.

"RG3 down? Happens all the time. Don't throw the flag. He'll get up."

It probably even annoys the refs a bit if they interpret it as an attempt to trick them.

On a related note: Griffin injured in 19.6% of his starts.

Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad