Friedman: Could the Leafs target Seth Jones?

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Jones is 7 mil D making 9.5
Marner is 8 mil F making 10.9 and looking for raise. Jones have his flaws, but in right spot he's effective.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs have a lot of contracts coming off books. Brodie, Bertuzzi, Domi? Need to fix their Blueline.
Absolutely, they are good players mentioned. I don't think Kyper has credibility. Friedman lends some, but at this point we don't even know whether the Leafs will clear house or not, or to what degree.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Tbf Jones is the type of player they could use, but not with the contract he has. Even with retention.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
He makes too much for too many years. That is the problem.

Marner in reg season his contract is ok maybe 1 mil over paid. But in playoffs hes way overpaid (but do the Hawks care???? as they are rebuilding and need to market players)
Also, its only for 1 year and basically no real money Chicago would have to pay, only cap space.

They would have to eat 2.5 mil at least on Jones to drop him to 7 mil and he would still have 6 years which is scary.

not sure this would work unless they eat more money and drop it to around 5 mil for the 6 years.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
He makes too much for too many years. That is the problem.
this is true of any player with talent though, the problem is the leafs' situation, so few contracts fit

they need to upgrade their defense, reilly doesn't cut it as a top guy

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
this is true of any player with talent though, the problem is the leafs' situation, so few contracts fit

they need to upgrade their defense, reilly doesn't cut it as a top guy
Very true but you can't trade a 100 point player with 11 mil cap hit for 1 year for a declining D for 6 years at 9.5

That would backfire if he doesn't regain form, worse than just getting rid of Marner for free.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Jones is better, right handed and only costs $0.25m more on the cap. Nurse and Rielly probably wouldn't be paired together in Toronto as they both play the left side. Rielly and Jones would likely play together as the best top D pair that the Leafs have had in years.
Do ya'll remember when Jones and Rielly played together on team North America (young guys)

They actually look great as a pairing

Reactions: JKG33

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
No, I meant the comment on hockey media being ‘out’. Just a bad joke I guess.
Toronto loses in playoffs. Toronto media runs all sorts of wild speculation on trade targets because the headlines are fish in a barrel.

There is no easier job than a Toronto hockey writer after the team loses in the first round. Pick a good to great player on another team and say Toronto should target them. Profit. No ???? between.

I'd pay up to get Marner @ 50% retained

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Drai - Marner

filthy

So what are you paying up? You're not keeping all of those Cs and LWs if you're acquiring Marner.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Marner for Jones would be good for both teams. Marner can really help Chicago's franchise player push the needle offensively which helps protect their best asset and Jones gives a boost to the Toronto PP and has the two qualities that teams covet: big RHD. Toronto could be a place where he gets a career revival after going to the graveyard that has been Chicago for the past few seasons.

After that, if Toronto can find an actual #1 goaltender and not a rotating door of backups, they'll be on to something.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Those tweets don't mention Marner.

It could and likely is a separate trade if it does happen.
Friedman himself mentioned Marner for Jones on the podcast. Spitballing or something he's heard? We don't know, but what he actually said did mentioned Marner and Jones.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Friedman himself mentioned Marner for Jones on the podcast. Spitballing or something he's heard? We don't know, but what he actually said did mentioned Marner and Jones.
Ah... well then.

Doesn't Jones also have no trade protection? Is he really going to want to come here? I have my doubts, even though he did live here and is familiar with TO from when his dad was on the Raps.

Also, the on-ice fit I'm even less sure of, and that contract could choke a horse.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Ah... well then.

Doesn't Jones also have no trade protection? Is he really going to want to come here? I have my doubts, even though he did live here and is familiar with TO from when his dad was on the Raps.

Also, the on-ice fit I'm even less sure of, and that contract could choke a horse.
Yeah obviously both guys have NMC so its unlikely.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He's a really good defenseman. He's slightly overpaid and Hawk fans give him a ton of crap because we gave up too much for him. But he's a really good two way defender that if paired with a good to elite puck mover that can play lots of minutes would shine.
For 9.5 for the next 7 years, there really shouldn't be any "ifs" and "buts."

The goal should be to fix the cap and contract issue, not add potentially another Phanuef-like contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad