2015 NHL Entry Draft Discussion - April 2015 Post Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
If we take Strome or Marner at 4 and trade for 6-8 and take Barzal, I have no issue with the rest of our picks in the draft being defencemen, along with our first next year. I think having Strome/Marner, Barzal, Nylander and Brown goes a long way.
I would be very happy with Marner + Barzal.

But I would be even happier with Marner + Hanifin ;)

Somewhat realistically, I would be happy with Marner + Provorov as well. And J. Roy with the NAS pick.

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
Yes, 64 is almost a late 2nd. There is still talent to be had around there. 3 guys I'm interested in are Travis Dermott, Gabriel Gagne, and Austin Wagner.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
I would be very happy with Marner + Barzal.

But I would be even happier with Marner + Hanifin ;)

Somewhat realistically, I would be happy with Marner + Provorov as well. And J. Roy with the NAS pick.

What about Size? Grit? Heart? Truculence? Pugnacity? Abrasiveness? Boardwork? Little plays? Hits? Fights? PIMs? LA had big centres! If you aren't big you're so easy to play against!

:sarcasm:

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Sports and Moore has some cool profiles on players from the Q. I'll post some for the players in consideration for our picks:

Anthony Beauvillier

Jeremy Roy

Filip Chlapik

Jakub Zboril

Evgeny Svechnikov

Thomas Chabot

Orbital

Sep 10, 2009
Denver,CO
Who are we all hoping for with the 64th pick? I think there will be some great talent available in that range.

Some that interest me: Ilya Samsonov, Jack Roslovic, Christian Fischer, Jesper Lindgren, Nathan Noel, Jens Lööke, Jacob Larsson, Thomas Novak.

Some will be there, some won't, but all are pretty interesting.

i think Shanny is going to be busy on the phones! Who would you trade for a 2nd round pick? Lupul,Bozak?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
i think Shanny is going to be busy on the phones! Who would you trade for a 2nd round pick? Lupul,Bozak?

Both. Maybe even Reimer. We'd get a couple other pieces in there also, but 3 2nd's is pretty good. On top of the major hauls we'll be getting for Phaneuf and Kessel, and whatever else we get from whomever else we trade, and we'll have plenty of assets at our disposal.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I've been pimping Meloche for awhile.
Here's a good post on him from a Q viewer.

"I still think he is a very worthy first rounder, stock might have dropped because of a late-season injury but he is awesome. I saw him as the #2 defender out of the Q for this draft early in the season, and I'm having a hard time changing my stance.

He's got everything you could wish for in a D, he is big, mobile, he is smart has good vision, can dish out the hits, can join the rush, big clapper from the point, can be on the PP or PK and logs a ton of ice time.

He's the #1 D for Baie-Comeau and has played very well in the playoffs, they are in game 7 in round 2 right now.

He is extremely impressive and has a lot of poise anyone that drafts him outside of the top-15 is getting a steal to me. But honestly this draft is so deep even the teams drafting late 1st round will be getting gems so... perhaps he falls a bit.

His upside is a top-pairing D; 35-40 pts with good D and physical play."

He's my top guy with the NASH pick.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
This is what you think happens? I would probably agree for the most part in that case

Part of it's gut/draft tendency, Part of it's speculation/rumour based and another part is there's a lot of people posting mock drafts that look similar; So I wanted mine to be a bit different, But still kind of plausible.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I've been pimping Meloche for awhile.
Here's a good post on him from a Q viewer.

"I still think he is a very worthy first rounder, stock might have dropped because of a late-season injury but he is awesome. I saw him as the #2 defender out of the Q for this draft early in the season, and I'm having a hard time changing my stance.

He's got everything you could wish for in a D, he is big, mobile, he is smart has good vision, can dish out the hits, can join the rush, big clapper from the point, can be on the PP or PK and logs a ton of ice time.

He's the #1 D for Baie-Comeau and has played very well in the playoffs, they are in game 7 in round 2 right now.

He is extremely impressive and has a lot of poise anyone that drafts him outside of the top-15 is getting a steal to me. But honestly this draft is so deep even the teams drafting late 1st round will be getting gems so... perhaps he falls a bit.

His upside is a top-pairing D; 35-40 pts with good D and physical play."

He's my top guy with the NASH pick.
Nicolas Meloche is someone I wouldn't mind drafting. He reminds me of Seabrook in that he's big, mobile, two-way and has a wide offensive toolset.

Much like Seabrook, he isn't really aggressive even though he can be physical. He would be perfect for Rielly. We need really do need a RHD that can play a calming game on the back end while having good enough mobility.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
It's alright. There are some bold picks, and bold picks are my taste.

Edmonton Oilers: Connor McDavid - Center - Erie
Buffalo Sabres: Jack Eichel - Center - Boston University
Arizona Coyotes: Noah Hanifin - Defenseman - Boston College
Toronto Maple Leafs: Dylan Strome - Center - Erie
Carolina Hurricanes: Mitchell Marner - Center/Right Wing - London
New Jersey Devils: Mikko Rantanen - Right Wing/Center - TPS
Philadelphia Flyers: Lawson Crouse - Left Wing - Kingston
Columbus Blue Jackets: Ivan Provorov - Defenseman - Brandon
San Jose Sharks: Zach Werenski - Defenseman - Michigan
Los Angeles Kings (COL): Matthew Barzal - Center - Seattle
Florida Panthers: Timo Meier - Right Wing - Halifax
Dallas Stars: Nick Merkley - Center/Right Wing - Kelowna
Colorado Avalanche (LAK): Pavel Zacha - Center/Left Wing - Sarnia
Boston Bruins: Jansen Harkins - Center - Prince George

Orbital

Sep 10, 2009
Denver,CO
Both. Maybe even Reimer. We'd get a couple other pieces in there also, but 3 2nd's is pretty good. On top of the major hauls we'll be getting for Phaneuf and Kessel, and whatever else we get from whomever else we trade, and we'll have plenty of assets at our disposal.

TO:8th +Jenner
Columbus: Kessel
8th =Barzal

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Dmytro Timashov is his name. Good player, also like Senyshyn and Dunn, but I thought they were for sure gone by 64.

I know Dunn will, but I feel Senyshyn could be available because teams always start picking unknown or players people had projected later after the 1st 40 picks or so. I hope he's available though.

papablue

Apr 21, 2015
What if? Would you do it at the draft?

Okay to start. Let say:

Edmonton-Mcdavid
Buffalo-Eichel
Arizona-Strome

Philadelphia said they would like to get up to #3 or #4 they said that they also want a forward, and they are willing to give up the 1st round pick they got from Tampa.
Would you do the trade from #4 for to #7 plus that pick, if you new that that
the next 3 picks are going to be:

Philadelphia-MARNER
Carolina-HANIFIN
New Jersey-CROUSE they said they wanted a forward as well.

Now we can debate that the teams above might take different players, but
this could happen. Would you as the leafs organization give up the possibility of having any of these three players for an extra draft pick which would be in the 20s.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Probably not. Provorov or Barzal would be tempting. But they're around Nylander level of talent, we need at least one player with superstar potential, which Marner and Hanifin both have. Another pick in the mid 20's doesn't make up for that.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Hmm, thats a tough question. I am really high on all of Marner/Strome/Hanifin but it would be a really good offer to consider.

Even then we would be guaranteed at least one of Provorov/Barzal/Crouse and all 3 ould be debated as a half step back on the other 3.

I guess only our scouting staff could answer that. Dubas mentioned all 6 in the same tier the other day so I would assume we make the deal easily if we do think they are all in the same tier. Then again he could be playing his cards close and does feel that M/S/H are a significant amount better than P/B/C.

I would be a lot more interested in picking up another pick in the 6/7/8 range in another way (Kessel/JVR) or another mid/late pick (Dion/Bernier)

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Ultimately it depend on how our scouts/management rank these guys. I really like Barzal/Provorov, so Id at least strongly consider it. Id also need to have a better idea than i currently do on exactly what calibre of prospects would be available with that late 1st.

If our scouts think one of Hanifin or Marner is the real deal, and likely a future league-wide elite talent, id take that player. Worry about adding later picks with potential Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak, JVR, etc trades.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Nope, I think we are 100% Hanifin or Strome.

We'd apparently take Crouse before Marner...

NotSince67*

Okay to start. Let say:

Edmonton-Mcdavid
Buffalo-Eichel
Arizona-Strome

Philadelphia said they would like to get up to #3 or #4 they said that they also want a forward, and they are willing to give up the 1st round pick they got from Tampa.
Would you do the trade from #4 for to #7 plus that pick, if you new that that
the next 3 picks are going to be:

Philadelphia-MARNER
Carolina-HANIFIN
New Jersey-CROUSE they said they wanted a forward as well.

Now we can debate that the teams above might take different players, but
this could happen. Would you as the leafs organization give up the possibility of having any of these three players for an extra draft pick which would be in the 20s.

IMO I'd rather try to slide from 25-24 to later and pick up a second. Could be done with Tampa (30/29 and 44th for 24/25) or Winnipeg (NYI/STL 1st from Buf, WPG 2nd for 24/25)

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Yes. I've been suggesting we think about exactly this scenario for awhile.

Barzal, Tampa Pick (Carlo?), Nashville pick (Meloche or J.Roy)

Barzal and Marner are very close to each other talent-wise it appears.

mohare

Dec 13, 2010
Unless you are convinced that any of the 3 players you project to go 4-6 are for sure franchise players, its always better to do down a bit and get another pick in the first round. We are rebuilding, we need lots of good pieces, not one just one amazing piece.

I think given the choices of

4th + nashville 1st
or
7th + nashville 1st + tampa 1st

4 out of 5 would dentists agree the second option is better.

Plus we'll be terrible again next year, so we will have another high pick then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA