2015 NHL Entry Draft Discussion - April 2015 Post Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
How has Eriksson Ek looked in the U-18´s so far?

I've liked him. Big guy, not too much in the way of hands, but has shown the ability to protect the puck and make good passes. He's also good infront of the net. He just kind of bulldozes people on his way to the cage. Good player, definitely like him at Nashville pick.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Man Zacha gets no love.
He was the best player on the ice the other day vs Canada (Yes better than Barzal). Outside of the top 5, Zacha arguably has the highest ceiling in the draft.

As I write this Zacha scores a goal.

I like him as well, But it's going to take some big balls to pick him at 4th or even to do a move down for him.

But yes, There could be some teams wishing they didn't pass on him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I like him as well, But it's going to take some big balls to pick him at 4th or even to do a move down for him.

But yes, There could be some teams wishing they didn't pass on him.

I've still got him in the top 10 though. If it were up to me, Crouse wouldn't find himself in the top 10 this year. Top 15 for sure, but not top 10. However, not even I would go outside the box enough and say he drops outside the top 10 despite that.

Zacha could find himself going to Colorado. He can play some good wing (and Colorado is probably the worst in that area), and can also shore up the middle. Good duo pick if you ask me.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
How has Veeti Vainio looked thus far? I know he has no points, but that's not what I'm worried about. He can produce with the best of Europeans. It's everything else I want to see.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
“A strong passer who delivers pucks with good timing and accuracy…has the ability to read the play and pick-and-choose his spots…has a powerful stride that generates power but could improve the overall quickness in his feet…willing to join the offensive attack…handles the puck well…not a big point shot but gets it on net consistently…reads the play well in his own zone and defensively he has the size and reach to close off lanes…good transition defender that moves the puck up ice."

"uses his strength and reach very well when he rushes the puck, and he is tough to contain when he gets going…is skilled and confident with the puck and has the ability to take it end-to-end…used his size and body well to contain players and box them out on the walls…is smart and makes great defensive decisions…has an instinctive knack for knowing where his teammates are on the ice…supremely skilled quarterbacking the power play.

“A silky, smooth skater, shows high potential as puck moving defensive prospect. He has the speed to join or lead the rush, and get back defensively. He has the edgework and agility to pivot quickly and cover large areas of the ice, or to walk the line and open up passing and shooting lanes. He is calm and composed with the puck, has good stickhandling ability and can make a strong pass either to start the transition, or set up a play from the blueline. His shot is decent, and he has good accuracy, but he could stand to add some more muscle, and make it even harder.Defensively he has good positioning and is willing to play a physical game in front of the net and in the corners.”

"He is a very good skater, with good speed, and the edgework and pivoting ability to quickly change directions and cover a ton of ice. He is an excellent two-way player, able to quarterback the power play with a hard shot, excellent vision, the ability to walk the line, poise, and great passing skills; or to rush the puck make his good puck handling and skating skill. No slouch in his own end, he plays shut down defence, with excellent positioning, an active stick, and strong anticipation. When given the opportunity he can throw a hit with his big frame.”

#ChabotorHanifin

Which is which?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
“A strong passer who delivers pucks with good timing and accuracy…has the ability to read the play and pick-and-choose his spots…has a powerful stride that generates power but could improve the overall quickness in his feet…willing to join the offensive attack…handles the puck well…not a big point shot but gets it on net consistently…reads the play well in his own zone and defensively he has the size and reach to close off lanes…good transition defender that moves the puck up ice." -Chabot

"uses his strength and reach very well when he rushes the puck, and he is tough to contain when he gets going…is skilled and confident with the puck and has the ability to take it end-to-end…used his size and body well to contain players and box them out on the walls…is smart and makes great defensive decisions…has an instinctive knack for knowing where his teammates are on the ice…supremely skilled quarterbacking the power play. -Hanifin

“A silky, smooth skater, shows high potential as puck moving defensive prospect. He has the speed to join or lead the rush, and get back defensively. He has the edgework and agility to pivot quickly and cover large areas of the ice, or to walk the line and open up passing and shooting lanes. He is calm and composed with the puck, has good stickhandling ability and can make a strong pass either to start the transition, or set up a play from the blueline. His shot is decent, and he has good accuracy, but he could stand to add some more muscle, and make it even harder.Defensively he has good positioning and is willing to play a physical game in front of the net and in the corners.†-Chabot

"He is a very good skater, with good speed, and the edgework and pivoting ability to quickly change directions and cover a ton of ice. He is an excellent two-way player, able to quarterback the power play with a hard shot, excellent vision, the ability to walk the line, poise, and great passing skills; or to rush the puck make his good puck handling and skating skill. No slouch in his own end, he plays shut down defence, with excellent positioning, an active stick, and strong anticipation. When given the opportunity he can throw a hit with his big frame.†-Hanifin

#ChabotorHanifin

Which is which?

There was one piece of information I could have really used, but I think I've got it.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Interesting part I gleaned from the KD in interview yesterday - I thought he emphasized quite noticeably on that we didn't drop to 5th in the lottery, Which I wasn't overly concern about cause we were guarantee one of them at least, But it may indicated a clear preference in that group of three. Which is normal, But given Hanifin sort of consensus position in the #3 spot for most of the season, Perhaps a slight tell; Or maybe I'm over thinking it. :dunno:

I also read someone posted about him re-tweeting/liking something on twitter about NCAA D-men as well.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Interesting part I gleaned from the KD in interview yesterday - I thought he emphasized quite noticeably on that we didn't drop to 5th in the lottery, Which I wasn't overly concern about cause we were guarantee one of them at least, But it may indicated a clear preference in that group of three. Which is normal, But given Hanifin sort of consensus position in the #3 spot for most of the season, Perhaps a slight tell; Or maybe I'm over thinking it. :dunno:

I also read someone posted about him re-tweeting/liking something on twitter about NCAA D-men as well.

Could just be him trying to take out every positives and highlight them.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

I think it might be tough to really pull too much from that :). In some ways it might just be a comforting thing to say after just missing out on the winner :).

I'm sure they have a preference though at this point and that the management group are glad they have more say in who they pick. Picking 4th leaves them with more options and they don't have to take the sometimes unfortunate role of just grabbing whoever is left within a tier.

I am curious though in what order they have guys ranked out for that pick. But hey maybe you are right, I wouldn't be surprised if they have Hanifin ranked higher than the forwards.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I think if Arizona doesn't take Hanifin, we take him no matter who is left. He doubled his ppg after the wjc on one of BCs lowest scoring seasons in 70+ seasons. I think he is/will be better then Rielly. Personally, I don't think they need to play their handedness. I'd be fine with hanifin-rielly or rielly-hanifin.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I think the prospect of Nick Merkley being available at Nashville's pick is growing. I'd love to be able to add him to our group. He has a motor that never quits.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
more like Carolina and Arizona

If Arizona want Marner and Carolina want Hanifin

Carolina would have a pretty nice defensive depth in their system/ on the roster

Faulk, Murphy, Fleury, Hanifin. I think Carolina screwed up taking Lindholm over Monahan though.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Can't we just trade down with Carolina? Maybe get Marner + B Prospect for Hanafin.

Teams essentially never trade up/down one spot. It doesn't make sense to do so.

We ONLY trade down with them if we know they don't plan on taking the guy we want. But that means we don't plan on taking the guy they want, so why would they trade up?

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Who are we all hoping for with the 64th pick? I think there will be some great talent available in that range.

Some that interest me: Ilya Samsonov, Jack Roslovic, Christian Fischer, Jesper Lindgren, Nathan Noel, Jens Lööke, Jacob Larsson, Thomas Novak.

Some will be there, some won't, but all are pretty interesting.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
“A strong passer who delivers pucks with good timing and accuracy…has the ability to read the play and pick-and-choose his spots…has a powerful stride that generates power but could improve the overall quickness in his feet…willing to join the offensive attack…handles the puck well…not a big point shot but gets it on net consistently…reads the play well in his own zone and defensively he has the size and reach to close off lanes…good transition defender that moves the puck up ice."

"uses his strength and reach very well when he rushes the puck, and he is tough to contain when he gets going…is skilled and confident with the puck and has the ability to take it end-to-end…used his size and body well to contain players and box them out on the walls…is smart and makes great defensive decisions…has an instinctive knack for knowing where his teammates are on the ice…supremely skilled quarterbacking the power play.

“A silky, smooth skater, shows high potential as puck moving defensive prospect. He has the speed to join or lead the rush, and get back defensively. He has the edgework and agility to pivot quickly and cover large areas of the ice, or to walk the line and open up passing and shooting lanes. He is calm and composed with the puck, has good stickhandling ability and can make a strong pass either to start the transition, or set up a play from the blueline. His shot is decent, and he has good accuracy, but he could stand to add some more muscle, and make it even harder.Defensively he has good positioning and is willing to play a physical game in front of the net and in the corners.â€

"He is a very good skater, with good speed, and the edgework and pivoting ability to quickly change directions and cover a ton of ice. He is an excellent two-way player, able to quarterback the power play with a hard shot, excellent vision, the ability to walk the line, poise, and great passing skills; or to rush the puck make his good puck handling and skating skill. No slouch in his own end, he plays shut down defence, with excellent positioning, an active stick, and strong anticipation. When given the opportunity he can throw a hit with his big frame.â€

#ChabotorHanifin

Which is which?

I`d like to try and pick-up a mid-first to get Chabot. I doubt he`s around at Nashville`s pick unfortunately.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
If we take Strome or Marner at 4 and trade for 6-8 and take Barzal, I have no issue with the rest of our picks in the draft being defencemen, along with our first next year. I think having Strome/Marner, Barzal, Nylander and Brown goes a long way.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Who are we all hoping for with the 64th pick? I think there will be some great talent available in that range.

Some that interest me: Ilya Samsonov, Jack Roslovic, Christian Fischer, Jesper Lindgren, Nathan Noel, Jens Lööke, Jacob Larsson, Thomas Novak.

Senyshyn or by some miracle he's still on the board Dunn. Theres also a Quebec Rempart player who might be available then. Led them in scoring with 91 points and is from sweden. Cant remember his name though.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Senyshyn or by some miracle he's still on the board Dunn. Theres also a Quebec Rempart player who might be available then. Led them in scoring with 91 points and is from sweden. Cant remember his name though.

Dmytro Timashov is his name. Good player, also like Senyshyn and Dunn, but I thought they were for sure gone by 64.

Shwaguy*

Definitely Samsonov, think he'd be great to add to our potential Goalie Pool and I think would give us a pretty good chance at having a strong young #1G from SOMEONE in our goalie system. It is a numbers game but still better to fill it with higher level goalie prospects like Samsonov - He's the best goalie in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad