2015 NHL Entry Draft Discussion - April 2015 Post Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Strome is rising on most lists (or at least holding) while Marner is dropping more then holding.

What is this based on?

Projection? At this point, even most who like Strome more, have to admit Marner is the more talented player overall, but perhaps scouts think Strome is more likely to carry his play (which is also very good) to the NHL while Marner won't be able to do the things he does to the same extent against bigger and better players. There's lots of hyperbole both ways with both players though. Marner isn't a Selke winner, he just stays involved in the play. He also isn't too small. Strome isn't hurting anyone with his skating and he isn't Kessel in his competitive play either.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Maybe his concussion but likely nothing.

It could very well be that he's just not moving up, but the guys around him are, so it's making him look worse by comparison. Plus people fail to realize that Marner has already jumped up a lot since the beginning of the year.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Yet people think that Draisaitl would be in the top 5 in this draft? I thought he would have a tough time staying in the top 10.

LOL @ people thinking Drasaitl would probably be ranked top 5. He'd probably go around 8-13 respectively because he is a long development type guy (2-3 years post draft before he should be ready).

Barzal could potentially jump ahead of Marner on multiple teams draft boards after his showing at U18WC. Really intruiging player reminds me of Galchenyuk/Rielly situation in their draft (injury kept them out, but were stellar when they came back. showing the promise to have elite potential).

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Yet people think that Draisaitl would be in the top 5 in this draft? I thought he would have a tough time staying in the top 10.

He wouldn't, but top 10 for sure. Some make too big a deal of Edm playing him this year when he wasn't ready, like he's now less the player he was, or even ruined. he's not. It certainly wasn't an ideal situation either and they should know better, but he's fine and still has a massive amount of value.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Strome is rising on most lists (or at least holding) while Marner is dropping more then holding.

What is this based on?

This. Especially considering the PPG in the playoffs, and how much Stromes team dominated Marners. (I know Marner missed the last couple games and that contributed but still) Marner simply has been better in the playoffs.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
LOL @ people thinking Drasaitl would probably be ranked top 5. He'd probably go around 8-13 respectively because he is a long development type guy (2-3 years post draft before he should be ready).

Barzal could potentially jump ahead of Marner on multiple teams draft boards after his showing at U18WC. Really intruiging player reminds me of Galchenyuk/Rielly situation in their draft (injury kept them out, but were stellar when they came back. showing the promise to have elite potential).

Just like on Seattle, he is the offense

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Could be a blessing in disguise. Hanifin could revamp our D for the next 15 years. His smooth and steady style could make for an elite pairing with Rielly.

What is the obsession with Hanifin playing with Rielly? They both play LD, and nowadays almost every dman plays the side which they shoot. That's why Dion no longer plays RD, and why Rielly never plays RD for a prolonged period of time.

If you want to take Hanifin, it will be more of a Weber/Jones thing in Nashville.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I think Barzal has looked terrific in the U18 tournament. He is clearly the best player on the ice in these games (with Chabot the best blueliner.) But I think Marner and Strome would likely look just as dominant if either were there. This may be especially the case with Marner whose skillset might adapt to the international ice surface and competition more easily. But I am reasonably sure that either of the two would also look very impressive in this setting.

However, after watching Barzal in this competition, I would be more open to a trade down than I was a week ago. A week ago I would have shouted "No way!" If the Leafs could get a good premium for dropping to 6-8 and still get Barzal, I would now be OK with it.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I think Barzal has looked terrific in the U18 tournament. He is clearly the best player on the ice in these games (with Chabot the best blueliner.) But I think Marner and Strome would likely look just as dominant if either were there. This may be especially the case with Marner whose skillset might adapt to the international ice surface and competition more easily. But I am reasonably sure that either of the two would also look very impressive in this setting.

However, after watching Barzal in this competition, I would be more open to a trade down than I was a week ago. A week ago I would have shouted "No way!" If the Leafs could get a good premium for dropping to 6-8 and still get Barzal, I would now be OK with it.

That premium would have to be just that though. A premium. no 2nd round picks. No late 1st round picks. There's no reason to believe when the trade is made that the player you target will still be there and in that instance, making sure the + is a legitimate player is more important than having more picks later in the draft. An example would be a team like Philly should Hanifin be at our pick, I would want their pick this year, next year(top 10 protected if need be) and Sanheim/Morin. Nothing less or make the pick and take the player you have faith becomes a star. There's absolutely no reason to make the trade otherwise and they wouldn't make that trade anyway unless they believed hanifin (in this example)was that guy

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I simply love Barzal (a complete 2 way center) but I would still put him behind this group

And the WHL was the most developed league of the 3 according to many - not my opinion

Barzal didn't go far in the playoffs but neither did Reinhart or Provorov. Barzal is the dark horse now - interesting to see who takes him.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Could be a blessing in disguise. Hanifin could revamp our D for the next 15 years. His smooth and steady style could make for an elite pairing with Rielly.

If we take Hanifin then I want to do whatever it takes to get Barzal too. Jersey's pick is the likely one to try and get. Maybe Philly's.

We need to come out of this with a high end C.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Man Zacha gets no love.
He was the best player on the ice the other day vs Canada (Yes better than Barzal). Outside of the top 5, Zacha arguably has the highest ceiling in the draft.

As I write this Zacha scores a goal.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
If we take Hanifin then I want to do whatever it takes to get Barzal. Jersey's pick is the likely one to try and get. Maybe Philly's.

We need to come out of this with a high end C.

Harkins is a very good center. We might have to move up a few spots with the Nashville pick to get him though. Good 2 way center with some size.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
What is the obsession with Hanifin playing with Rielly? They both play LD, and nowadays almost every dman plays the side which they shoot. That's why Dion no longer plays RD, and why Rielly never plays RD for a prolonged period of time.

If you want to take Hanifin, it will be more of a Weber/Jones thing in Nashville.

I'm in between in that one, Only because that would push Gardiner down to a 3rd in future.

Could make centre men of Gardiner I suppose.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Perfect world for me is getting Hanfifin at #4 and either Marner/Barzal at #6 after grabbing that pick for Kessel/JVR package thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad