2015 NHL Entry Draft Discussion - April 2015 Post Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

InShannyWeTrust

Bring on the trades!
Aug 6, 2009
As much as I'm stoked about what happened today I'm a little concerned we won't be able to pick up any extra picks in this draft now. Seems unlikely we will be able to hire a gm and have him evaluate the players and make deals for picks within 2 months. If shanny is picking a person like himself he may take it slow getting us picks after the draft which is upsetting since this draft is so strong! I want another 1st round pick!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Seems like a good time to post my updated top 10.

As of April 12, 2015

1-Mcdavid
2-Eichel
3-Hanifin
4-Strome
5-Werenski
6-Marner
7-Zacha
8-Crouse
9-Provorov
10-Barzal

The top 4 to 9 are very tight. Slimmest of margins.

Rufio65*

I think it's become more clear that it's not between two players.

Agreed. A lot of people getting tunnel vision on 2 players. That is understandable considering they are local products, and people are able to view them often.

Also, it's pretty tough to make a convincing argument that Marner is pulling away in this "race". Guys who are on the shelf dont tend to raise their draft stock. Especially considering the hit was not egregious, and wouldn't have been a lengthy suspension in the NHL.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
U18s are starting up soon. Looking forward to watching some of the prospects on Team Sweden. Kylington's draft stock has taken a bit of a hit over this season, this will be his chance to showcase himself better in scouts' eyes

Could be someone who is available with the Preds' 1st round pick

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
The only problem I have with Marner fans is that they try to discredit Strome at any opportunity they get. They are both equal level prospects and neither of them is a level above the other. This is why they are ranked so tightly by every scouting service out there.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
The only problem I have with Marner fans is that they try to discredit Strome at any opportunity they get. They are both equal level prospects and neither of them is a level above the other. This is why they are ranked so tightly by every scouting service out there.

I like both a fair bit better than Hanifin, but at this point I think I like Marner at 3, behind McDavid and Eichel. I simply think Marner is the 3rd best hockey player in this draft at this point in time. Maybe Strome or Hanifin close the gap because they are more gifted physically, but I believe Marner is quite clearly more skilled and more effective than both at this point in time, and I think that should translate.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I like both a fair bit better than Hanifin, but at this point I think I like Marner at 3, behind McDavid and Eichel. I simply think Marner is the 3rd best hockey player in this draft at this point in time. Maybe Strome or Hanifin close the gap because they are more gifted physically, but I believe Marner is quite clearly more skilled and more effective than both at this point in time, and I think that should translate.

I'd be careful saying Marner is more skilled. Strome is unbelievably talented. He just plays a different style of game. Marner would play differently if he was 6'3" as well.

For anyone that hasn't seen much of Strome I suggest watching this video

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
I'd be careful saying Marner is more skilled. Strome is unbelievably talented. He just plays a different style of game. Marner would play differently if he was 6'3" as well.

For anyone that hasn't seen much of Strome I suggest watching this video

I have seen a lot of Strome (and Marner for that matter), and Marner's skill level is simply better. I will qualify that statement with the phrase at this point in time.

I don't think anyone here doubts that Marner is a more capable scorer. His regular season and playoff scoring is just simply better on a per game basis, despite playing on a team that scored 41 goals less than Strome's Otters.

With that being said, I think Strome has the chance to take his game to next level, and potentially be a more effective NHLer than Marner. Once again, at this point in time, Marner is the more dynamic scoring option in junior, which I think has a good chance to translate.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I've seen a fair bit of both at this point and I still think Marner is more skilled.

I try not to be "pro-Marner" or "pro-Strome". I try to look at these guys as objectively as I can. Right now Marner looks like the better player to me. It makes it such an incredibly tough decision since Strome is obviously the better fit for the Leafs. But Marner looks to me to be the better player in all 3 zones. It seems like the only thing Strome has on him is size.

I would argue Strome hasa big size advantage, a better shot and better passing.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I would argue Strome hasa big size advantage, a better shot and better passing.
On the other hand, Marner seems to be much better without the puck.

Strome does seem like a strong offensive player with size and is quite effective in the offensive zone. Once he's ready for the AHL, we'd have to develop his two-way game if he want him to be more versatile.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
1) McDavid
2) Eichel
3) Strome
4) Marner
---------------
5) Hanifin
6) Provorov
7) Barzal
8) Werenski
---------------
9) Zacha
10) Crouse
11) Svechnikov
12) Konecny
13) Rantanen
---------------
14) Meier
15) Merkley
16) Harkins
17) Roy
18) Chabot
19) White
20) Chlapik

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
I have seen a lot of Strome (and Marner for that matter), and Marner's skill level is simply better. I will qualify that statement with the phrase at this point in time.

I don't think anyone here doubts that Marner is a more capable scorer. His regular season and playoff scoring is just simply better on a per game basis, despite playing on a team that scored 41 goals less than Strome's Otters.

With that being said, I think Strome has the chance to take his game to next level, and potentially be a more effective NHLer than Marner. Once again, at this point in time, Marner is the more dynamic scoring option in junior, which I think has a good chance to translate.

I have seen 40+ marner games this year alone and we have to pick him. Kid is unreal. Incredibly skilled, great work ethic, hits, forecheckd and plays in all situations.

Strome is very good as well. I just never am blown away by his game the way I am with Marner. Plus his skating isn't very good in my opinion.

McDavid
Eichel
Hanifin
Marner
Provorov
Strome

That's my top 6.

Last edited:

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
On the other hand, Marner seems to be much better without the puck.

Strome does seem like a strong offensive player with size and is quite effective in the offensive zone. Once he's ready for the AHL, we'd have to develop his two-way game if he want him to be more versatile.

I agree, I was just responding to the poster who said the only thing Strome has on Marner is size.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

I'd agree with that. But the point is, you can't go wrong with either option.

I've seen a fair bit of both at this point and I still think Marner is more skilled.

I try not to be "pro-Marner" or "pro-Strome". I try to look at these guys as objectively as I can. Right now Marner looks like the better player to me. It makes it such an incredibly tough decision since Strome is obviously the better fit for the Leafs. But Marner looks to me to be the better player in all 3 zones. It seems like the only thing Strome has on him is size.

Like another poster said, Strome has size, shot, and arguably passing (but it's extremely close). As well as puck possession, board play, and leadership (both are good leaders). I also disagree that Marner is better defensively and I'm not sure where that came from.

One aspect about Strome that I love is his hockey sense. It's absolutely off the charts good. Better than anyone's in the draft not named McDavid.

I doubt you're blown away watching players like Sam Reinhart compared to guys like Ehlers too. It's easy to get caught up in the highlight reel plays.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

This is probably directed at me but I am not a Marner fanboy, and have said numerous times I would be happy with any of Hanifin, Marner, Strome but I find Stromes playoffs disappointing and I see no reason why it shouldn't be a small critique of him right now. If Marner or Hanifin were struggling as bad I would also point it out; and so would others.

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
This is probably directed at me but I am not a Marner fanboy, and have said numerous times I would be happy with any of Hanifin, Marner, Strome but I find Stromes playoffs disappointing and I see no reason why it shouldn't be a small critique of him right now. If Marner or Hanifin were struggling as bad I would also point it out; and so would others.

This is exactly how I feel. I know strome is talented. But he hasn't looked very good in the playoffs. The London series he is not very noticeable. Strome and Marner are so talented. I prefer Marner.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Marner and Nylander together with Rielly on the point gives me shivers.

I am hoping for Marner but you cant go wrong.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

Trade Kessel for a top 12 + prospect/young player and draft Lawson Crouse to go on that left wing, with luck get Jeremy Roy with our Nashville pick, shivers indeed...

Brandon Carlo and Noah Juulsen are other notable possibilities as far as RD picks with our Nashville first.

Crouse - McDavid/Strome/Marner - Nylander

Rielly - J Roy

edit: might not be reasonable to expect us a to make a huge trade like Kessel with the GM situation up in the air right now.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Top 30 most wanted list...

1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Hanifin
4. Strome
5. Marner
6. Werenski
7. Provorov
8. Barzal
9. Rantanen
10. Crouse
11. Connor
12. Zacha
13. J Roy
14. Svechnikov
15. Merkley
16. Konecny
17. Carlo
18. Kylington
19. Harkins
20. Bittner
21. to be continued...

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005

Both Marner and Nylander may need the puck too much for this to be as good a combination as we would like.

We may find out, one way or the other.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Hanifin
4. Marner
5. Strome

Anyone of them and I'll be happy as ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad