2015 NHL Draft Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Brad Stuart most likely would have been a bit better had he not been sucker punched into concussionville... just saying.

As for this draft, I'd like the best D-man available with the Sharks' first round pick.

Last edited:

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Believe what you want. Still curious as to whom said it. its not arguing, you made a blanket statement, I said show me.. Rathje was never going to be a #1 neither was Stuart. I'm 46 now, been there from the get-go. Neither were nothing more than middling Dmen. Obviously you
don't care to backup your opinion.

How do you expect me to back up my opinion. Pull out the 1992 draft guide from the hockey news and scan it? If you want to believe the Sharks used the 3rd overall pick on a pair of guys who had upside of "middling Dmen" go ahead and believe it.

Good thing we didn't have HF boards back then. Using the 3rd overall pick on a guy with 3rd/4th d-man potential would have "broke the internet". Also on a side note, IIRC Stuey had VERY similar numbers to Provorov back in the WHL, if not even better numbers.

I don't think you plan on using the 2nd overall pick on a defenseman you don't think would be a top pairing defenseman one day.

Yeah Stuey was touted as a #1 two way dman. Topped out at a #3 in his prime.

I also remember rumors that the Flames wanted Stuart in a trade for Fluery back in the day so I'm assuming he was highly thought of.

Thanks for some backup here...

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Brad Stuart most likely would have been a bit better had he not been sucker punched into concussionville... just saying.

As for this draft, I'd like the best D-man available with the Sharks' first round pick.

Yea agree, he did have a great rookie season too. I will be very happy if we come away with Provorov, even more so if we found a way to get Hanifin.

At this point I think I'll be upset regardless of who we pick because I want like 5 of these guys...all this damn prospect research.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
How do you expect me to back up my opinion. Pull out the 1992 draft guide from the hockey news and scan it? If you want to believe the Sharks used the 3rd overall pick on a pair of guys who had upside of "middling Dmen" go ahead and believe it.

Good thing we didn't have HF boards back then. Using the 3rd overall pick on a guy with 3rd/4th d-man potential would have "broke the internet". Also on a side note, IIRC Stuey had VERY similar numbers to Provorov back in the WHL, if not even better numbers.

Stuart had.

0 points in 3 games
43 points in 57 games
63 points in 70 games (draft year)
And last year 62 points in 59 games.

Provolov had 61 points in 60 games in his only season.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

We have some arguing that Mirco isn't what he should be for someone picked at his position in the draft and others saying a guy picked 3rd was expected to be about as good as Mirco looks to be. Or something like that. My mind is short circuiting.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Brad Stuart and Andrei Zyuzin were both considered potential future-Norris-winners. Admittedly, some of the hype with Zyuzin was the Russian factor and fan's hype.

Rathje's draft is a little before my time. I think the way Luke Schenn was considered by most non-TML fans is an accurate picture of how he was perceived. People fell a little too in-love with his size and expected him to develop into a more offensive force once he left the WHL. You have to remember that people back then put too much weight:D on a defenseman's size.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Brad Stuart and Andrei Zyuzin were both considered potential future-Norris-winners. Admittedly, some of the hype with Zyuzin was the Russian factor and fan's hype.

Rathje's draft is a little before my time. I think the way Luke Schenn was considered by most non-TML fans is an accurate picture of how he was perceived. People fell a little too in-love with his size and expected him to develop into a more offensive force once he left the WHL. You have to remember that people back then put too much weight:D on a defenseman's size.

Wow completely forgot about Zyuzin!! Damn, I'm embarassed.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
According to kurz, sharks are talking to rantanen for the second time tommorow. Don't know that it means anything.

It just means he's one of likely several players they like and it's not surprising.

He already has NHL size, he's smart and he has some minor skating issues.

Los Tiburones

Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
It would be hard to get too pissed with Ratanen. Dude played in the main Finnish league this year against men and was the second leading scorer on his team at 18. That and he's 6'4".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad