2015 NHL Draft Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
I had a dream of the Sharks picking a "who?".

giphy.gif

[CSI : Miami reference]

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
In my opinion, no. But he holds credibility for purposes regarding this site. I honestly have no idea what trade he last got correct.

I forget what it was exactly, but I think it was something regarding Philly. I could be wrong though.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I know I'm being shortsighted because I only watched YouTube but I want barzal lol. Provorov does look the part though. Basically what I'm saying is don't put me in charge of the draft.

This would be dream!

9. San Jose Sharks: Ivan Provorov, Defence, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL

I prefer Barzal. When I saw Pronman's mock today I got really excited. I think I want Barzal more than anyone outside the top 5. Lets say the Sharks had the #6 pick which is right outside the first tier of players here is how I'd want us to pick:

Barzal > Provorov > Zacha > Werenski > Rantanen > Crouse

Would be hoping Marner drops to #6 but I don't see him getting past Toronto. Overall taking the top 2 out of the draft since we all know they aren't moving I think I want in this order:

Marner > Hanifin > Barzal > Strome > Provorov

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Draft Provorov with 9

If Barzal / Connor is still there at 12, trade Braun for the pick.
Pick 1.

Hmm. I like braun a lot :(

Not to be rude, but I don't care how much the franchise or anyone likes Braun, you make that trade anyday!!! Trading a #4 d-man for a top 12 pick in this draft and getting Barzal would be unreal return. Also, coming out of this draft with Provorov and Barzal would be amazing for our future. I honestly think Provorov could jump in next year and provide as much value as Braun did last season if not more.

I really like Braun, don't get me wrong but a first round pick, especially of the top 15 variety is worth much more than him.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
I prefer Barzal. When I saw Pronman's mock today I got really excited. I think I want Barzal more than anyone outside the top 5. Lets say the Sharks had the #6 pick which is right outside the first tier of players here is how I'd want us to pick:

Would be hoping Marner drops to #6 but I don't see him getting past Toronto. Overall taking the top 2 out of the draft since we all know they aren't moving I think I want in this order:

Not to be rude, but I don't care how much the franchise or anyone likes Braun, you make that trade anyday!!! Trading a #4 d-man for a top 12 pick in this draft and getting Barzal would be unreal return. Also, coming out of this draft with Provorov and Barzal would be amazing for our future. I honestly think Provorov could jump in next year and provide as much value as Braun did last season if not more.

I really like Braun, don't get me wrong but a first round pick, especially of the top 15 variety is worth much more than him.

Sharks lack any form of a blue-chip prospect on D. Why you and some others insist on "passing up" the opportunity to draft a #1 Dman is wacky.

For starters the other team needs to want to part with the 12th pick. Would you trade the 12th for Braun straight up if the shoe was on the other foot?? Sharks would have to add imo.
I want braun to stay, no reason he isn't benificial for the next 6 years, so again I offer-

to Dal-
Mueller
Nieto
2015 39th pick

to SJ-
2015 12th pick
2016 3rd rd pick(ours back)

Last edited:

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Sharks lack any form of a blue-chip prospect on D. Why you and some others insist on "passing up" the opportunity to draft a #1 Dman is wacky.

For starters the other team needs to want to part with the 12th pick. Would you trade the 12th for Braun straight up if the shoe was on the other foot?? Sharks would have to add imo.

Just a preference. I always lean forward in the first round if there is a dynamic forward available. Hanifin is an exception for me. I have less faith in D-men reaching their ceiling than I do forwards. I much prefer trading/signing experienced d-men who have already proven their worth.

As for the 12th pick, I never said I think it would happen, I obviously think it wouldn't which is why I said Sharks jump at that deal.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I have been reading the FC, Black Book and McKeens guide and there is no doubt in my mind that I pick Provorov over any of those other guys. That is not saying Barzal won't be good but picking Provorov would not only feel a need but would also give us a future #1D which we have really never drafted (maybe Vlasic?) to build the team around.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I have been reading the FC, Black Book and McKeens guide and there is no doubt in my mind that I pick Provorov over any of those other guys. That is not saying Barzal won't be good but picking Provorov would not only feel a need but would also give us a future #1D which we have really never drafted (maybe Vlasic?) to build the team around.

Possible #1D...d-men are really hard to project & Provorov could pretty easily end up a really good top 4 d-man.

I'll be surprised if the Sharks trade up but if they're in a position where Marner, Hanifin & Provorov are all on the board that's the order I'd hope they'd pick, I'd take either Marner or Hanifin over Provorov.

Hanifin, to me, is still the best d-man in this draft.

Of the non top 5 guys Provorov should be at the top of the Sharks draft board.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

Why do people keep saying this? Do you guys not remember drafting Jillson, Stuart, Rathje, and to a lesser extent Wishart? All of these guys were high picks who were projected to be top pairing d-men despite never reaching that level. Maybe this is why I always prefer forward in the first round but the Sharks have never drafted a D-man early and seen him reach his supposed ceiling. Maybe Carle did, but he didn't do it with us. I guess Vlasic did reach his ceiling but he's not a #1.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Why do people keep saying this? Do you guys not remember drafting Jillson, Stuart, Rathje, and to a lesser extent Wishart? All of these guys were high picks who were projected to be top pairing d-men despite never reaching that level. Maybe this is why I always prefer forward in the first round but the Sharks have never drafted a D-man early and seen him reach his supposed ceiling. Maybe Carle did, but he didn't do it with us. I guess Vlasic did reach his ceiling but he's not a #1.

The odds are still better of getting a #1 d-man with a high pick than a later pick, even if we have a bad track record. Our chances of getting a true #1 dman in a later round, or trading for one, are extremely slim.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Past failures doesn't mean one should avoid drafting in that area. The reality is that if they don't draft it and they don't fix whatever is the reason why they haven't produced a top end defenseman, they're not going to find ultimate success most likely.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
The odds are still better of getting a #1 d-man with a high pick than a later pick, even if we have a bad track record. Our chances of getting a true #1 dman in a later round, or trading for one, are extremely slim.

I agree, but I think the odds of getting a top line forward is greater than getting a top pairing d-man. I like Provorov and I really wish we had two first round picks because then we could choose a d-man with the top pick and a guy like Svechnikov or Sprong later on and it wouldn't be too risky. We'd come away with a player with top pairing potential and top line potential but there is no certainty DW will trade into the 20-25 range in which those forwards will be going.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Scouting today is a lot different that how it was back then. With the amount of resources teams and private firms invest in scouting, there is a smaller chance in a top draft pick failing than it used to be. There is never a guarantee with a draft pick but scouting has definitely reduced the risk of a failure by a good amount.

The chances of finding a steal in the later rounds is still there, but it is more likely to happen if the player developed further after the draft than because he was missed in the earlier rounds.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

Unless I am missing something, the guys you listed were NEVER hyped like Hanafin/Provorov. let alone in the same breathe.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
For those curious about what kind of offers AZ is getting for that #3 pick (probably from WPG):

Craig Morgan

@cmorganfoxaz
Coyotes GM Don Maloney said one team offered him a pair of mid-first round picks and a player Wednesday evening for the No. 3 pick.

Maloney also said there are real offers and 'tirekickers'...I'd guess DW is in that 2nd group if he's in on it at all.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
For those curious about what kind of offers AZ is getting for that #3 pick (probably from WPG):

Maloney also said there are real offers and 'tirekickers'...I'd guess DW is in that 2nd group if he's in on it at all.

Oh comeon, you know DW is always in on it .. :) I think he is one of those GM's that will inquire on any player even if he knows it is not going to happen. And he should as well .. :)

I do think it is high time we did what we needed to and get a franchise #1 D-man. I would be ok moving any piece from our team with the exception of Vlasic or Hertl. Use a combination of any other players/prospects and picks (including our 1st rounders) to make a deal that can land us that type of player.

I would prefer to keep Couture around if possible as well. That would be ideal. I think a combination of C depth like Couture, Hertl, Tierney (assume we dont trade those) and Vlasic, Hanifin/Provorov on the blue line will set us up for atleast the next 5-6 years.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Unless I am missing something, the guys you listed were NEVER hyped like Hanafin/Provorov. let alone in the same breathe.

To be fair, Stuart and Rathje were top 5 prospects in their drafts, and they both went 3rd overall. But comparing Jillson and Wishart who were projected mid to late 1st round picks in weak drafts does not make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad