2015 NHL Draft Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I prefer Barzal. When I saw Pronman's mock today I got really excited. I think I want Barzal more than anyone outside the top 5. Lets say the Sharks had the #6 pick which is right outside the first tier of players here is how I'd want us to pick:

Barzal > Provorov > Zacha > Werenski > Rantanen > Crouse

Would be hoping Marner drops to #6 but I don't see him getting past Toronto. Overall taking the top 2 out of the draft since we all know they aren't moving I think I want in this order:

Marner > Hanifin > Barzal > Strome > Provorov

It's always interesting to see how other posters rank prospects.

Unfortunately there is no way Marner drops to 6. I doubt he gets to 5. He is the best forward in this draft, and I can't believe Arizona fans are wanting Strome over him, strictly due to size and their perceived notion that they need it to compete in the west moving forward.

Personally I would take Rantanen and Provorov over Barzaal, and Zacha/Barzaal is a coin flip. Barzaal has great vision and tools, but he coasts a lot and gets caught watching the play if he doesn't have the puck. Just not sure there is enough "hustle" there to be elite.

But then, I would also take Konecny over Werenski or Connor. His stick handling, skating and shot make me think that he has a higher ceiling than either of the other two, but since he plays for the 67's, there is a good chance Wilson will take him at 9 :laugh:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Oh comeon, you know DW is always in on it .. :) I think he is one of those GM's that will inquire on any player even if he knows it is not going to happen. And he should as well .. :)

I do think it is high time we did what we needed to and get a franchise #1 D-man. I would be ok moving any piece from our team with the exception of Vlasic or Hertl. Use a combination of any other players/prospects and picks (including our 1st rounders) to make a deal that can land us that type of player.

I would prefer to keep Couture around if possible as well. That would be ideal. I think a combination of C depth like Couture, Hertl, Tierney (assume we dont trade those) and Vlasic, Hanifin/Provorov on the blue line will set us up for atleast the next 5-6 years.

To be honest it is not a bad thing to do with the tire kicking. It is how he ended up with his biggest prize ever via trade.

There was no willingness, no rumours, no thoughts of trades for the bruins to trade thornton. Wilson called about the available samsonov and then just in wilson fashion asked about thornton and poof history was made.

After the trade it was said that san jose was the only team that knew boston was willing to trade thornton. Doesn't sound like a smart plan if a team was really considering trading one of the best young centers in the league just starting his prime years. Boston could of gotten a kings ransom for thornton if they really shopped him.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
To be honest it is not a bad thing to do with the tire kicking. It is how he ended up with his biggest prize ever via trade.

There was no willingness, no rumours, no thoughts of trades for the bruins to trade thornton. Wilson called about the available samsonov and then just in wilson fashion asked about thornton and poof history was made.

After the trade it was said that san jose was the only team that knew boston was willing to trade thornton. Doesn't sound like a smart plan if a team was really considering trading one of the best young centers in the league just starting his prime years. Boston could of gotten a kings ransom for thornton if they really shopped him.

Oh I agree, he should be absolutely trying. Cannot make a trade unless you try to.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
For those curious about what kind of offers AZ is getting for that #3 pick (probably from WPG):

Maloney also said there are real offers and 'tirekickers'...I'd guess DW is in that 2nd group if he's in on it at all.

If that's the cost, I don't doubt for a second that we are not involved.

Wilson wants to put something competitive on the ice this year. Unless that prospect can jump right in (unlikely) that makes us worse off now.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
If that's the cost, I don't doubt for a second that we are not involved.

Wilson wants to put something competitive on the ice this year. Unless that prospect can jump right in (unlikely) that makes us worse off now.

Ya, I'd imagine DW inquired but I agree with you.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
To be fair, Stuart and Rathje were top 5 prospects in their drafts, and they both went 3rd overall. But comparing Jillson and Wishart who were projected mid to late 1st round picks in weak drafts does not make sense.

Stuart was highly hyped at the time as was Rathje. Jillson's hype obviously wasn't at that level, as he was a mid first rounder, but he was projected to be a top pairing d-man and over the Draft +1-+2 years he was climbing rankings fairly high, which I was addressing because a previous poster said "we've never had a #1 D-man prospect" which is simply wrong. Even Wishart was drafted and projected to be a top pairing guy.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Stuart was highly hyped at the time as was Rathje. Jillson's hype obviously wasn't at that level, as he was a mid first rounder, but he was projected to be a top pairing d-man and over the Draft +1-+2 years he was climbing rankings fairly high, which I was addressing because a previous poster said "we've never had a #1 D-man prospect" which is simply wrong. Even Wishart was drafted and projected to be a top pairing guy.

Source?? Stuart and Rathje were never going to be #1d men let alone studs.

as for Wishart, only by the Sharks org....

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not saying he isn't super talented and highly touted but to say his hype has been off the charts is false IMO. Isn't any higher than Stuey's was in draft year.

Hanifin has been highly touted and some mocks by 'experts' have argued that Hanifin and Provorov are really not that far apart. The main reason I am interested in Provorov (outside of his projection as a #1D) is if he is avaiable at 6. Would be a lot cheaper to move to 6 than 3 and grab Hanifin.

But honestly, I would not be shocked if Provorov is picked at 5 by the Canes and Strome drops to 6. I actually expect the top 5 draft order (assuming there is no trade there) to be:

McDavid
Eichel
Marner
Hanifin
Provorov

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Here's something funny: if Arizona traded down to 8, I think it's possible that Strome is still there. Let's say it goes Hanifin-Marner-Provorov, and Jersey doesn't like Strome, Philly doesn't either so they go Barzal/Zacha and Rantanen/Crouse, bam Arizona gets Strome at 8th plus getting Anisimov and Rychel.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Source?? Stuart and Rathje were never going to be #1d men let alone studs.

as for Wishart, only by the Sharks org....

Ok not going to argue something so ridiculous. Asking me to provide a source from 1998 and 1992 is just stupid (no offense). Both were projected as #1 d-men in their upside. You're being near sighted and most likely letting hindsight influence your opinion.

I really like Provorov and will be happy with him in Teal, but to say we've never draft a d-man who had #1 upside is absurd...end conversation.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Here's something funny: if Arizona traded down to 8, I think it's possible that Strome is still there. Let's say it goes Hanifin-Marner-Provorov, and Jersey doesn't like Strome, Philly doesn't either so they go Barzal/Zacha and Rantanen/Crouse, bam Arizona gets Strome at 8th plus getting Anisimov and Rychel.

That would be hilarious but I doubt Philly would choose those guys over Strome.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Ok not going to argue something so ridiculous. Asking me to provide a source from 1998 and 1992 is just stupid (no offense). Both were projected as #1 d-men in their upside. You're being near sighted and most likely letting hindsight influence your opinion.

I really like Provorov and will be happy with him in Teal, but to say we've never draft a d-man who had #1 upside is absurd...end conversation.

Believe what you want. Still curious as to whom said it. its not arguing, you made a blanket statement, I said show me.. Rathje was never going to be a #1 neither was Stuart. I'm 46 now, been there from the get-go. Neither were nothing more than middling Dmen. Obviously you don't care to backup your opinion.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
From HF…

Looking Back: The 1998 NHL Entry Draft
By Joy Kim, December 2001

Predictions

Draft Day’s always a time for guessing and making predictions for the future, so let’s make some predictions for the first round of the 1998 draft.

#1: That Tanguay, Gagne, and Gomez will continue to shine. Teams around the league will wonder why they didn’t draft them. Pierre Lacroix in Colorado will think to himself at some point in time that he could have drafted all three. Imagine all three on one team!

#2: That Vincent Lecavalier will become the superstar that he has always been destined to be. He’s got too much going for him to simply be above average. In the next three years, he’ll be as productive as Tanguay, Gagne, and Gomez. I’m afraid I’m not yet willing to predict the same for Legwand.

#3: That Brad Stuart will someday win a Norris Trophy.

#4: That one other member of this draft class will be a late bloomer a la Joe Thornton and surprise us all, after we’d dismissed them as a bust.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
For those curious about what kind of offers AZ is getting for that #3 pick (probably from WPG):

Maloney also said there are real offers and 'tirekickers'...I'd guess DW is in that 2nd group if he's in on it at all.

Wouldn't the only team that would really apply for that kind of offer be the Jets?

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco

Don't do it Doug. Not worth it, especially considering the crazy offers teams like Columbus, Winnipeg and Edmonton will make for that pick. We don't have multiple first-round picks, nor we do have a boat load of dispensable prospects to throw around.

Stay at 9 and get Barzal, Werenski, Zacha, Crouse, Connor or Rantanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad