Prospect Info: 2015 18th overall - Thomas Chabot (D) Saint John Sea Dogs

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Heatley had the gaudy scoring totals in his time with Ottawa because of Spezza. The Spezza from 2005 to 2013 (before his injury in the 12/13 season) was amazing. If it weren't for injuries he might have had three 100-point seasons, and, generally speaking, he deserved to be treated better while he was here. Yes, he wasn't good without the puck, but with it there were few better, and he was an integral part to the team's success. The only forward in Sens history I consider greater is Alfie

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
IMO the best measuring stick for a potential player's success is their performance on different stages. Rundblad and Cowen for example dominated their respective leagues but struggled in other competitions like WJC and what not. Chabot has dominated in every single competition and level he has played on and elevated his game even more so when the games became more difficult. This is why Im very high on White too. White doesn't necessarily have the skill so he may not be top line C but Chabot has all the skills and ability to be number 1 D. This guy is gonna change the dynamics of our team and could make us a contender.

Which isnt saying much of anything. Spezza never elevated his play in the playoffs. which is the difference between star players and superstars. Hossa was a better playoff performer cause he carried us when no one else did some games. Spezza was only producing when the rest of the team was. When's the last time u remember him taking over a playoff game for us? I could only think of one and that's game 6 vs NYR in 2011, off a ridiculous pass by Stone.

I love Hossa but saying he was a better playoff performer then Spezza is wildly incorrect. Hossa has gone on to win cups but he , like Alfie and many other sens took their lumps in the playoffs while they were young.

Maybe Hossa would of turned it around as a senior in the playoffs but we will never know .

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Actually having watch Chabot I don't think I've ever been more excited for a prospect coming up the pipes

Same here, not since Spezza. Chabot should be a dynamic top 4 defender for us with an elite ceiling. Can't wait to get him and White in the lineup, if they acclimate fast then we could take the step to being an elite team. From the sounds of it, the Q could come down to Chabot vs Chlapik which would be very interesting for us.

Oh and a sidebar, if anyone thinks Spezza didn't bring it in the playoffs, just watch him last year even when he carried Dallas after Seguin got hurt. The guy is much better than people give him credit for.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Cowen had a very good WJC his second time around.

I honestly don't remember being impressed with him for a second in the wjc. And this was when I still hyped up about him.

Edit: chabot on the other hhhaaaaaannnnddddd.

Eh eh. You like that one DATW

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I am a bit more cautious about Chabot. The WJC was a breakthrough and he appears to have raised his game to another level. A year ago there were a lot of questions, that he appears to have answered now but looking to see it stick and how he fairs against the men. Exciting potential, fingers crossed it translates.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Ive seen Chabot several times this year live. This Friday will probably be my last viewing of him live. But he is an absolute monster. Smooth skater, smart, great vision.

If I had one critique of him it is that when emotions are running high in a game he can get a little reckless with his checks and tend to target the head a bit. He has been suspended a few times for this. But hopefully he can reign it in in the big leagues.

He is very good at drawing penalties, either that or Mario Maillet is blind.. but i could just still be sour over a game full of BS calls

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Ive seen Chabot several times this year live. This Friday will probably be my last viewing of him live. But he is an absolute monster. Smooth skater, smart, great vision.

If I had one critique of him it is that when emotions are running high in a game he can get a little reckless with his checks and tend to target the head a bit. He has been suspended a few times for this. But hopefully he can reign it in in the big leagues.

He is very good at drawing penalties, either that or Mario Maillet is blind.. but i could just still be sour over a game full of BS calls

He definitely has all the pieces to be a great NHL player. It's just a matter of putting it together at the NHL level (which is by no means a guarantee).

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He definitely has all the pieces to be a great NHL player. It's just a matter of putting it together at the NHL level (which is by no means a guarantee).

Agreed, so far at the CHL level he has been tracking a bit better than a previous similar style/skating d man from SJ, Nathan Beaulieu. I certainly expect Chabot to be better, but then again, I thought that with Beaulieu too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed, so far at the CHL level he has been tracking a bit better than a previous similar style/skating d man from SJ, Nathan Beaulieu. I certainly expect Chabot to be better, but then again, I thought that with Beaulieu too.

Do you mean Nathan Beaulieu drafted by Mtl? There is a pretty substantial difference between where those two are developmentally speaking in their respective 4th years in the Q imo, but at the end of the day, it's still just the CHL.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Do you mean Nathan Beaulieu drafted by Mtl? There is a pretty substantial difference between where those two are developmentally speaking in their respective 4th years in the Q imo, but at the end of the day, it's still just the CHL.

There sure is. In his draft+2 year Beaulieu was already playing in NHL. Not that it makes him any better or worse though.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

Saint John Sea Dogs is what he means I think. SJ - Saint John's

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There sure is. In his draft+2 year Beaulieu was already playing in NHL. Not that it makes him any better or worse though.

Nathan was a late birthday, he wasn't going to go back to Saint John as an overager.

In saying that, even if he did, I highly doubt he'd dominate like Chabot does night in, night out.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Nathan was a late birthday, he wasn't going to go back to Saint John as an overager.

In saying that, even if he did, I highly doubt he'd dominate like Chabot does night in, night out.

Didn't Beaulieu had Huberdeau playing like a monster in front of him? Chabot doesn't have that kind of quality forward, i guess.

Maybe they had similar style, smooth skating puck moving defenceman. But Chabot did prove that he had another gear when he played 30 min(was it 40 min?) in the WJC while being a monster both side of the ice.

How was Beaulieu in his Zone when he was playing in the Q?

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I haven't seen Chabot play since the WJC.

Watching the WJC, I was trying to imagine what type of player he looks like, and I was thinking something along the lines of a Scott Niedermayer. I hate comparing guys to HHOF players because I feel like people expect them to mirror those guys, but I'm specifically talking playing style.

Am I close or is there a better comparison?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I haven't seen Chabot play since the WJC.

Watching the WJC, I was trying to imagine what type of player he looks like, and I was thinking something along the lines of a Scott Niedermayer. I hate comparing guys to HHOF players because I feel like people expect them to mirror those guys, but I'm specifically talking playing style.

Am I close or is there a better comparison?

Campbell is one of the better ones I've heard. In his first wjc all I could see what bouwmeester. In his second not so much.

I like the neidermayer comp though

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Didn't Beaulieu had Huberdeau playing like a monster in front of him? Chabot doesn't have that kind of quality forward, i guess.

Maybe they had similar style, smooth skating puck moving defenceman. But Chabot did prove that he had another gear when he played 30 min(was it 40 min?) in the WJC while being a monster both side of the ice.

How was Beaulieu in his Zone when he was playing in the Q?

Huberdeau (3rd OA), Jurco (35th OA) and Phillips (28th OA) were all well respected prospects on Beaulieu's team. They also added Charlie Coyle (28th OA) at some point that season. Chabot has Zboril (13th OA) as the only guy in that tier that I'm aware of.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Huberdeau (3rd OA), Jurco (35th OA) and Phillips (28th OA) were all well respected prospects on Beaulieu's team. They also added Charlie Coyle (28th OA) at some point that season. Chabot has Zboril (13th OA) as the only guy in that tier that I'm aware of.

Joseph went 4th round to Tampa and is playing like a 1st.
Gauthier went 1st last year
Dove-Mcfalls went 4th
Noel went 4th
Velano will be a 1st next year
Zboril went 1st
Imama went 6th
Chabot went 1st
Bourque went 6th

Difference being Beaulueu/Phillips/Jurco/Huberdeau were all draft eligible guys, not even drafted yet on the 2010-2011 Sea Dogs teams.

These are all guys who have already been drafted (aside from Velano) and are, for the most part, much more developed.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Chabot has the potential to be a top pairing defenceman in Ottawa at some point but it could take him a few yrs to get there. I don't however think that Chabot will start the yr in Ottawa next season given that Ottawa has 7 defencemen signed for next season although they could lose one at the expansion draft. Plus they have Jokipakka who is an RFA & likely will be re-signed & play in Bellville. Then there is Englund who seems ready to take the next step in Ottawa & has a yr of pro experience & Harpur behind him who has two yrs of pro experience.

Of course, Ottawa could always trade a defenceman in a package this summer or at the draft to make some room. I think White is in the same boat, I expect that most of the forwards will be back next season with maybe with the exception of Neil & Kelly & we still don't know for sure whether MacArthur will play next season. I think both these guys, Chabot & White will start next season in Bellville, not that there is anything wrong with that. It will be interesting to see the Bellville Senator's roster next yr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad