Prospect Info: 2015 18th overall - Thomas Chabot (D) Saint John Sea Dogs

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
10 minute 4th line vs the 3-5 we saw this year is a big difference as well.. A young player stepping in between players like Stalberg and Pyatt as an example have the support around them to really evaluate them and to allow them to grow. If I am that player. I desperately want the 10 minute NHL shifts on the 3rd or 4th line.

That's true. Rolling all 4 lines and getting good ice and linemates definitely changes things.

Of course, the problem is in a tight game, or down by a goal in the third period, you know most coaches will shorten the bench.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
So this guy ripped up the first round of the Q playoffs with 10 points in 4 games to lead the league in points so far. Anyone watching? Not like you really need any further accomplishments to be excited about him anyways :popcorn:

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
So this guy ripped up the first round of the Q playoffs with 10 points in 4 games to lead the league in points so far. Anyone watching? Not like you really need any further accomplishments to be excited about him anyways :popcorn:

I've been aboard the hype train for a while. He keeps impressing more and more. He's probably our most promising prospect since Karlsson. I'm beyond excited about this guy.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'm really trying hard not to get aboard the hype train because I really really want him to spend significant time in the AHL next year and be allowed to develop his game properly.

of all the prospects to not ruin, Chabot is the one who needs to be handled absolutely perfectly.

That being said, this kid is a stud. it's been a while since the Sens have had a legitimate blue chip prospect.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm really trying hard not to get aboard the hype train because I really really want him to spend significant time in the AHL next year and be allowed to develop his game properly.

of all the prospects to not ruin, Chabot is the one who needs to be handled absolutely perfectly.

That being said, this kid is a stud. it's been a while since the Sens have had a legitimate blue chip prospect.

Well said.

Kid is a real stud. But, you can still mess up a player or ruin his confidence (or try to change his game too much) if you put him in situations he isn't ready for.

Whatever decision management makes next year, I hope the only consideration is doing what is best for Chabots long-term career and maximizing his potential.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Imagine Chabot reaching his potential, and we have him on one D-pair, and Karlsson on the other.

We'd have Chabot or Karlsson on the ice for 45-50 minutes each game. That would be amazing.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Imagine Chabot reaching his potential, and we have him on one D-pair, and Karlsson on the other.

We'd have Chabot or Karlsson on the ice for 45-50 minutes each game. That would be amazing.

This time next year could be a possibility. Your comment is quite exciting. Surround them with the likes of Ceci, Phaneuf, Methot, Claesson, Englund, Jaros as steady partners. Wideman maintains the 3rd pairing if he stays. Boro?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

5 vs 5:

Methot - Karlsson
Chabot - Phaneuf <- Phaneuf moves to his preferred side
Claesson - Ceci/Wideman <- one of Ceci or Wideman traded or claimed by Vegas
Boro

PP:

Chabot - Karlsson :banana:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

IMO this could maybe be our best bet to win a cup without a flat out legit number 1 C.

Having the next best thing... 2 number 1 defenders carrying 2 different pairings.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I also think that Chabot is our most promising prospect to make the most difference at the NHL level once he gets there. His only weakness could be at the defensive end, I'm not sure how strong he is to handle bigger forwards but there are a lot of examples now of much smaller defencemen playing in the NHL. Chabot at 6'2" has good size & really only needs to add more muscle & strength & he has the potential to be an elite defenceman. I'm looking forward to seeing this defence group in Ottawa some day soon.

Harpur - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Englund - Jaros

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Chabot was absolute beast defensively in WJC, the only fault he has is sometimes he's too casual but when you're that dominant in the CHL, you can understand when a defender gets too casual from time to time.

He has no flaws to his game, imo. Or rather, no real flaws that can't be legit strengths.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
5 vs 5:

Methot - Karlsson
Chabot - Phaneuf <- Phaneuf moves to his preferred side
Claesson - Ceci/Wideman <- one of Ceci or Wideman traded or claimed by Vegas
Boro

PP:

Chabot - Karlsson :banana:

Why not have Chabot on the 2nd PP pairing? That way go have a blueline threat on both PP units. :naughty:

Chabot was absolute beast defensively in WJC, the only fault he has is sometimes he's too casual but when you're that dominant in the CHL, you can understand when a defender gets too casual from time to time.

He has no flaws to his game, imo. Or rather, no real flaws that can't be legit strengths.

Reminds me of Erik. He's slowing the game down and waiting for an opening to appear up the ice (or for his teammates to get where they should be) before making a move.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I know that with goaltenders, you really want to be careful about their development, but I think that skaters are a lot more durable. I think back to Joe Thornton, who Boston kept as a teenager. He really struggled his first year, and the consensus was that he really would have been better off back in junior. As we now know, Thornton managed to shake off that setback quite nicely. Why? The guy was a stud, that's why.

On the other end, I don't think Curtis Lazar would have been any different had he been in the AHL for a stretch. He'd still be a guy who peaked in junior hockey, and who can't generate any offense in the NHL.

Bottom line - if Chabot is one of our six best defencemen in camp in September, don't overthink it. Keep him and play him - sure, he'll have some rocky moments, but he'll adapt pretty quickly just as Ekblad did in Florida...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I know that with goaltenders, you really want to be careful about their development, but I think that skaters are a lot more durable. I think back to Joe Thornton, who Boston kept as a teenager. He really struggled his first year, and the consensus was that he really would have been better off back in junior. As we now know, Thornton managed to shake off that setback quite nicely. Why? The guy was a stud, that's why.

On the other end, I don't think Curtis Lazar would have been any different had he been in the AHL for a stretch. He'd still be a guy who peaked in junior hockey, and who can't generate any offense in the NHL.

Bottom line - if Chabot is one of our six best defencemen in camp in September, don't overthink it. Keep him and play him - sure, he'll have some rocky moments, but he'll adapt pretty quickly just as Ekblad did in Florida..

Said perfectly.

I'm trying to relay this elsewhere, the notion that you need the AHL to develop a prospect properly is getting tiresome, especially when guys who lack I.Q (Lazar/Cowen and a lesser extent Ceci) are used as evidence.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Bottom line - if Chabot is one of our six best defencemen in camp in September, don't overthink it. Keep him and play him - sure, he'll have some rocky moments, but he'll adapt pretty quickly just as Ekblad did in Florida...

Totally agree. Handling prospects with kids gloves doesn't help them any more than being a helicopter parent with a young child does.

Letting them be pushed and have small failures is part of the process.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
Dorion mentioned needing 4 injured players in order to call up Chabot, Ceci, Methot, Smith and MacArthur are all done for the regular season. Does Mac not apply? What am I missing?

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Dorion mentioned needing 4 injured players in order to call up Chabot, Ceci, Methot, Smith and MacArthur are all done for the regular season. Does Mac not apply? What am I missing?

I believe he ment 4 defenseman. But I could be wrong.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Maybe it applies to the D position? PD said they were carrying 8 D at the deadline so they needed "4 injuries" to be in the "second emergency" territory. It's still not super clear..

http://www.tsn.ca/injury-plagued-sens-attempted-to-call-up-d-chabot-1.713893

"The exact rule is, we had eight defencemen on our roster at the trade deadline," Dorion said. "So, we would need four injuries to fall into an emergency status, in your second emergency status, then at that point in time, you can recall Thomas Chabot... When it comes to these things we always look at every possibility and everyone that's under contract that could come and help us.

"In theory, when we look at it, one of our other guys would have to go down, then we'd have four healthy bodies and we'd be in second emergency, then we call up Thomas Chabot. I don't think the Saint John Sea Dogs would like it a lot."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->