Prospect Info: 2015 18th overall - Thomas Chabot (D) Saint John Sea Dogs

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Spezza is the best Senator forward of all time.

He's not. He never really controlled pace or play with any frequency.

Even Heatley could do a better job at that. Alfredsson is by far and away the best. Spezza wouldn't even be our best #19.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
He's not. He never really controlled pace or play with any frequency.

Even Heatley could do a better job at that. Alfredsson is by far and away the best. Spezza wouldn't even be our best #19.

Nah, Alfredsson just has the longevity.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Spezza was pretty much amazing at all times. Save that last season where he was playing with like 25% of a functioning back. And he still put up what. 70 points playing with nobody.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Spezza was outshone by Alfie in the playoffs in terms of taking over games. But Spezza still had a few series where he was THE guy.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Incredible amount of underrating of Spezza going on here. He is our arguably our most talented forward in history, was a legitimate franchise centre who was always a consideration for top 5-10 centres in the whole league.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Incredible amount of underrating of Spezza going on here. He is our arguably our most talented forward in history, was a legitimate franchise centre who was always a consideration for top 5-10 centres in the whole league.

He was no Alfie or Yashin for that matter.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

All coming from a fan base that now decries our lack of an elite center ever since we let him go. :handclap: Go us.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Spezza is the best Senator forward of all time.

Had a real big chuckle with this one.

Alfredsson
Yashin
Hossa
Heatley
Spezza

IMO the best season Spezza had as a senator was 2011/2012. He was entering a new level in his play where he was the guy, he controlled the pace, he did all that good stuff and his defensive play was at worst average. I was huge fan. Injuries tho derailed him but he was an excellent scorer nothing more. He never ever elevated his play when the going got really tough. For that, he left so much to be desired.

Spezza was outshone by Alfie in the playoffs in terms of taking over games. But Spezza still had a few series where he was THE guy.

what series and what did we do in those series? more importantly what did he do?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Ok if you want to make an argument for the others but you can not say heatley was better than spezza

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Spezza once finished near tops in Hart voting playing between michalek and Colin greening. Immnot going to get into some ridiculous argument about who was better him yashin or Alfie (I have other arguments around here to tend to). They were all amazing players. Saying "hey Alfie was better!" Does little to take away from what spezza was able to do here.

I will say this though. That spezza we got to see in maclean first year was one of the best seasons by a senator ever. Very few other Centers in the entire league could have done that. Let alone Senators players.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Spezza once finished near tops in Hart voting playing between michalek and Colin greening. Immnot going to get into some ridiculous argument about who was better him yashin or Alfie (I have other arguments around here to tend to). They were all amazing players. Saying "hey Alfie was better!" Does little to take away from what spezza was able to do here.

I will say this though. That spezza we got to see in maclean first year was one of the best seasons by a senator ever. Very few other Centers in the entire league could have done that. Let alone Senators players.

We're always gonna have Spezza to come back to when we need to find common ground man :)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Agreed! I wonder if we'll honour him when he retires.

I think we will definitely have a thing for him when he hits 1000 points. (Imagine a fanbase disliking a guy who's realistically going to hit 1000 points. ). And for me he gets a spot on our ring of honour.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think we will definitely have a thing for him when he hits 1000 points. (Imagine a fanbase disliking a guy who's realistically going to hit 1000 points. ). And for me he gets a spot on our ring of honour.

Was the ring of honour just for management or anyone? If so, Phillips, Neil, and Spezza all should be in there.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Was the ring of honour just for management or anyone? If so, Phillips, Neil, and Spezza all should be in there.

I believe it's anyone. And yeah I believe Phillips and neil will get their place their as they should. Not quuuiiite "good" enough to retire their number but should be included in the ring for sure.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hard to measure hockey IQ/sense comparing defensemen and forwards. Totally different ways of "seeing" the game.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I believe it's anyone. And yeah I believe Phillips and neil will get their place their as they should. Not quuuiiite "good" enough to retire their number but should be included in the ring for sure.

I agree, it's why the ring of honour is such a good idea. The Sens will have a couple 1000 game players for them and other notable players that need to be honoured by a young franchise.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
IMO the best measuring stick for a potential player's success is their performance on different stages. Rundblad and Cowen for example dominated their respective leagues but struggled in other competitions like WJC and what not. Chabot has dominated in every single competition and level he has played on and elevated his game even more so when the games became more difficult. This is why Im very high on White too. White doesn't necessarily have the skill so he may not be top line C but Chabot has all the skills and ability to be number 1 D. This guy is gonna change the dynamics of our team and could make us a contender.

Which isnt saying much of anything. Spezza never elevated his play in the playoffs. which is the difference between star players and superstars. Hossa was a better playoff performer cause he carried us when no one else did some games. Spezza was only producing when the rest of the team was. When's the last time u remember him taking over a playoff game for us? I could only think of one and that's game 6 vs NYR in 2011, off a ridiculous pass by Stone.

You accuse Spezza of being a playoff floater, but you rank Heatley over him who was the biggest playoff floater of all? makes sense

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
My only complaint with spezza was that he was good enough to be a great 2 way player, but we rarely saw him commit to it. Maybe it would have shaved off some points from his career totals, but it would have set the tone for the whole team, especially with Alfie there too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad