Prospect Info: 2015 18th overall - Thomas Chabot (D) Saint John Sea Dogs

blair7

Aug 4, 2010
Guys this is the Chabot thread lol

Sorry to get off topic. I often read but rarely post, I felt the need to give my two cents on this one.

I am very excited about Chabot and know it will be best for the organization to be patient with his development but I want to see him in the NHL asap.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The more i watched niedermayer the more I see the chabot combat. Maybe not the release on the shot but that can improve but noedermayer got heavy wrister off with flicks of the wrist. Chabot may never have that skill. But the skating and jumping in the rush is similar

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Sorry to get off topic. I often read but rarely post, I felt the need to give my two cents on this one.

I am very excited about Chabot and know it will be best for the organization to be patient with his development but I want to see him in the NHL asap.

If the choice is a very good Chabot starting from next year or an excellent Chabot 1 or 2 years down the line, I have no problem waiting a little. Whatever makes him most likely to hit his ceiling. Maybe we can have both, though. I'm not the one who makes those sorts of decisions and I'm thankful for that. My feeling, though, is that an AHL season is very unlikely to hurt whereas being rushed to the NHL could.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Let's just say I strongly disagree. That's all I'll say about that.

If the choice is a very good Chabot starting from next year or an excellent Chabot 1 or 2 years down the line, I have no problem waiting a little. Whatever makes him most likely to hit his ceiling. Maybe we can have both, though. I'm not the one who makes those sorts of decisions and I'm thankful for that. My feeling, though, is that an AHL season is very unlikely to hurt whereas being rushed to the NHL could.

Agreed 100000%

Chabot is a very special prospect. Take any and every precaution NOT to screw up this kid.

And totally agreed on the Neidermayer skating comparison. He definitely has that amazing silky stride (albeit in a taller frame than Scott). Hopefully we don't do the 'ultra defensive NJ Devils system' craporama had halfway neutered Neidermayer for so much of his career. When you have the thoroughbred, you have to let him run.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Put me in the boat that has Chabot and White playing some AHL time. EK played in the AHL. That's all the team needs to tell them.

I've gone on an on about this but I hate the term"NHL ready." It drives me nuts. That's all we heard about Lazar and it's all we are hearing now about White.

NHL ready to me means they can keep up in the NHL. That's not putting a kid in a position to succeed.

Let them season properly in the AHL and when they come to the NHL they can be "NHL Contributors" rather than just "NHL ready."

Plus, a tall skinny guy like Chabot could probably benefit from a year where his body can fill out a bit more.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think they will be up and down which is what I would do. Some people think a few NHL games absolutely derail development. I disagree. If the work ethic is there. Give them a littleness taste every now and then.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Meaning able to compete at the NHL level? We don't want him to compete. We want him to excel.

Rarely does a defensemen come into the nhl and excel right away even with AHL time. The NHL is a different beast and it takes years for most defenders to 'excel'

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't understand this obsession with people coming through our AHL system.

If he can play in the NHL - let him (same goes for White). If they're lacking something then you send them down to work on it.

That's what happened with Karlsson.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

If he can play in the NHL - let him (same goes for White). If they're lacking something then you send them down to work on it.

Chabot currently lacks pro level defensive play. So he should go down. Don't need him here to see that.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If Chabot and White or whomever demonstrate in training camp that they can play at the NHL level, then I would keep them for the minimum number of games to let them show that, but I would not hesitate to send them to Bellville if they show weaknesses in the pro level game. I suspect that one or both will not be ready yet and have to spend some time in Bellville. No concern with that. I hope Brown starts to show more than he has (probably caused by injuries).

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Chabot has the physical and play making attributes of late 1990's early 2000's Wade Redden in his heyday. We'll do well if Chabot achieves that and it will be great if he's better.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Yeah, send him to the A and use him as a call up.

I do not want his career rushed and his development ruined, not in the slightest. Look at our history, it's the last we need - another rushed and ruined prospect.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Yeah, send him to the A and use him as a call up.

I do not want his career rushed and his development ruined, not in the slightest. Look at our history, it's the last we need - another rushed and ruined prospect.

Yeah, Claesson treatment. Not even a few games to start, just let him start camp down there and be a leader right away. Then if injuries, call him up mid season kind of reverse of what we did with EK.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Several reasons:

1) Where do the fit into the line up?
2) How much ice time will they get in the NHL vs AHL, sitting in the press box or riding pine is not great for development?
3) Past examples - Lazar; he could play in the NHL but was his growth stunted from not playing the minutes he could have played in the AHL?

I dont see how playing in the AHL could hurt their development however being rushed to the NHL can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad