Prospect Info: 2015 18th overall - Thomas Chabot (D) Saint John Sea Dogs

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
He has a great shot that he doesn't use enough.

Honestly, Bondra's right, Brown is pretty much a poor mans Spezza.

Which goes back to the original comment that derailed this into a Brown vs Spezza thread. I'm not overly hyped up about Chabot, and a poor-man's Spezza isn't going to trigger me too much either. Not that I think they're going to flop, they just don't excite me.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Meh, Spezza is much more creative and has much better hands/shot. If anything he's a poor mans Getzlaf, not Spezza.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Which goes back to the original comment that derailed this into a Brown vs Spezza thread. I'm not overly hyped up about Chabot, and a poor-man's Spezza isn't going to trigger me too much either. Not that I think they're going to flop, they just don't excite me.

What does chabot need to do to get you hyped.

His performance at the wjc was it for me.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

Chabot should excite you. If he pans out well, which I think is likely, he'll be a heavy-minute first pairing D in his prime. When Karlsson is in his thirties, Thomas will be smack-dab in his prime, and if he ends up being who he's projected to be, that could be the best 1-2 punch on the blueline in the league.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
What does chabot need to do to get you hyped.

His performance at the wjc was it for me.

Chabot should excite you. If he pans out well, which I think is likely, he'll be a heavy-minute first pairing D in his prime. When Karlsson is in his thirties, Thomas will be smack-dab in his prime, and if he ends up being who he's projected to be, that could be the best 1-2 punch on the blueline in the league.

I guess my mind knows that Chabot will never surpass the standard for a D so, even if he is world class he'll never be EK good ;)

It's the same way I assume Pittsburgh is never excited about a C prospect considering they've been watching two of the worlds best over the last decade.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I guess my mind knows that Chabot will never surpass the standard for a D so, even if he is world class he'll never be EK good ;)

It's the same way I assume Pittsburgh is never excited about a C prospect considering they've been watching two of the worlds best over the last decade.

I'm almost entirely sure Chabot won't surpass Karlsson - that would be a ridiculously high bar to set for any prospect. But I think he's got all of the skills to be a top 10 D-man in the league one day, and as I said, if he can become great and take some of the offensive burden off Erik in 5-6 years, that would be huge.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Chabot is definitely one of the best prospects we've had in years, he screams blue chip/star.

Elite skating, hands, vision, good frame, raises his game in big moments. I'd be disappointed if he didn't become a number 1 caliber D.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I'm almost entirely sure Chabot won't surpass Karlsson - that would be a ridiculously high bar to set for any prospect. But I think he's got all of the skills to be a top 10 D-man in the league one day, and as I said, if he can become great and take some of the offensive burden off Erik in 5-6 years, that would be huge.

If he is just a top 50 D in the league then he is a super player and will pay huge dividends.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Meh, Spezza is much more creative and has much better hands/shot. If anything he's a poor mans Getzlaf, not Spezza.

Chabot has a high hockey iq then Spezza and is bring his game to a whole other level which Jason could not do.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chabot has a high hockey iq then Spezza and is bring his game to a whole other level which Jason could not do.

He wasn't comparing Chabot and Spezza, I mean they play entirely different positions.

And Spezza certainly could, save Alfredsson he is by far the biggest playoff performer in Sens history.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
He wasn't comparing Chabot and Spezza, I mean they play entirely different positions.

And Spezza certainly could, save Alfredsson he is by far the biggest playoff performer in Sens history.

Sure Spezza did but when Chabot wants to really up his game its to a whole other level many players can't get to.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's always great when players can display elite level talent like that. Hopefully it makes the transition to the NHL (not the exact move but the talent more generally).

If Nashville can turn someone like Ryan Ellis into a top 4 - we should be able to make Chabot someone who can work on the top pairing. Of course nothing is guaranteed but man Ellis was so bad and so slow and now he's effective and efficient.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
IMO the best measuring stick for a potential player's success is their performance on different stages. Rundblad and Cowen for example dominated their respective leagues but struggled in other competitions like WJC and what not. Chabot has dominated in every single competition and level he has played on and elevated his game even more so when the games became more difficult. This is why Im very high on White too. White doesn't necessarily have the skill so he may not be top line C but Chabot has all the skills and ability to be number 1 D. This guy is gonna change the dynamics of our team and could make us a contender.

Which isnt saying much of anything. Spezza never elevated his play in the playoffs. which is the difference between star players and superstars. Hossa was a better playoff performer cause he carried us when no one else did some games. Spezza was only producing when the rest of the team was. When's the last time u remember him taking over a playoff game for us? I could only think of one and that's game 6 vs NYR in 2011, off a ridiculous pass by Stone.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Which isnt saying much of anything. Spezza never elevated his play in the playoffs. which is the difference between star players and superstars. Hossa was a better playoff performer cause he carried us when no one else did some games. Spezza was only producing when the rest of the team was. When's the last time u remember him taking over a playoff game for us? I could only think of one and that's game 6 vs NYR in 2011, off a ridiculous pass by Stone.

This is just a straight lie.

Jason was excellent for us in the playoffs, always. Your memory is just poor/selective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad