Denmark: 2014 World Championship Thread

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
:laugh:

That's why I always try to be a little more "pessimistic" always leaves you satisfied.

Exactly.....I only consider those available before the start of the tournament because it's just too unsure to expect them and then be disappointed.

I looking forward to have Ollie come....so make it official diu.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Completely disagree. Their time will come but it's not relevant since the coach made the decision. And I've had this discussion endlessly on the hockeymagasinets chat....

Let ehlers concentrate on his upcoming draft.

Why would Ehlers concentrate on a draft which he has no influence on? The best thing for him is to show that he can play with the big boys.

danishdynamite

Jan 11, 2011
!

I think it is a weird decision. Forget all about age. He played in NLA in Switzerland last year at the age of 17 and did just fine. If any other player had played in Switzerland this season, I can almost guarantee you that he would have been on the national team. So why not Ehlers? I think you are underestimating how good this kid is.

Good thing you werent the NT coach in the 80's when Laudrup all of the sudden appeared on the field.....your argument is invalid in my opinion. Best man should play at any given time.

Well.. maybe you're right. Best team is of course best team.

Call on Ehlers!! :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I would also give Ehlers a chance if he is willing.
As 17 years old he might be quite hammered from the schedule in QMJHL, but would likely come if called.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Haven't seen Ehlers a lot this year so I'm gonna guestimate on what could be the arguments either way:

Cons:

- He's 18(Not a problem) with the side effects it has to be 18. For instance he's like what 15 kg lighter than Bødker and they are at the same height. He'd be out of his weight class at the WC
- To my knowledge he's had the longest season ever in his career. He can't be pumped with energy.
- I don't think Janne Karlsson sees him as being a superior alternative to our other top wingers right now.
- I don't think Janne Karlsson sees a lot of sense in bringing him in for any other role than of a scoring line. So 3rd and 4th line duties doesn't seem like a fit.
- With combines ahead injuries would come at a critical time. We say where he goes in the draft doesn't matter. To him it might matter a lot. And not being able to preform at the combines could hurt your stock. See: Nichushkins fall last year.
- Would give Janne Karlsson a top 6 winger and a bottom 6 center that's clearly worse than the 4 other centers in reserve. Not a lot of flexibility.

Pros:
- He can skate. Recent big ice experience and speed should be a good combination. Add confidence.
- He doesn't necessarily need to be put on a scoring line from day one. He could be the 13th or 14th forward. The kind that could break a offensive drought. Nice to have.
- In such spots he'd be competing with Thomas Spelling and Lasse Lassen. Not completely different types in terms of what they bring to the table. Spelling especially. So he could take his 13/14th spot and let Lasse Lassen join the 4th line.
- Has that up-and-coming mentality that has all days thrived on the National Team
- If Morten Madsen is to play center, we're actually kinda out of natural left wingers.

Either way... Think of the infusion of talent he and Oliver Bjørkstrand are gonna bring to the NT in 1-2 years.

Paaske

Apr 10, 2013
Copenhagen
Good thing you werent the NT coach in the 80's when Laudrup all of the sudden appeared on the field.....your argument is invalid in my opinion. Best man should play at any given time.

Laudrup was one of the biggest talents in Football ever. In hockey terms think Tavares , Ovechkin and so on , speaking of invalid arguments.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Why would Ehlers concentrate on a draft which he has no influence on? The best thing for him is to show that he can play with the big boys.

I just don't see him playing 4th line which is where there's room for him. Especially after such a long season. Didn't you mention earlier that Larsen might not want to risk an injury...well ehlers would reay be risking injury. He is really young and can wait till next year. He only just turned 18.

We have pretty much always done this with exemption of starkov and Madsen....And you could arguevfrans but we were so thin back then that we probably had lower standards...

I'm extremely excited for ehlers but I can be patient.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Laudrup was one of the biggest talents in Football ever. In hockey terms think Tavares , Ovechkin and so on , speaking of invalid arguments.

How do you know how big Ehlers will be? Have you visited a fortune teller? Dont believe everything they say....they are just there because of the money. ;)

If it werent for his size he would be in contention for being the number one draft this year. Just like the ones you are mentioning, so what is your arguement exactly??? Size in terms or muscles can be added later on.

Edit; I wasnt even trying to compare him to Laudrup, but trying to argue for the obvious benefits of letting a young boy in earlier on that we know is going to be a part of it anyway in the years to come because of his talent.

Last edited:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I just don't see him playing 4th line which is where there's room for him. Especially after such a long season. Didn't you mention earlier that Larsen might not want to risk an injury...well ehlers would reay be risking injury. He is really young and can wait till next year. He only just turned 18.

We have pretty much always done this with exemption of starkov and Madsen....And you could arguevfrans but we were so thin back then that we probably had lower standards...

I'm extremely excited for ehlers but I can be patient.

Fair enough. I just dont see the problem with adding him to the training camp and take a closer look at him.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Either way... Think of the infusion of talent he and Oliver Bjørkstrand are gonna bring to the NT in 1-2 years.

Yes, and it is exactly that I want to start on now. Not necesarily on the in team for the WCH, but in the training camp prior, so we have passed the transition-phase in the near future and he more easily blends in.

Edit; I otherwise agree with the pros and cons.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Yes, and it is exactly that I want to start on now. Not necesarily on the in team for the WCH, but in the training camp prior, so we have passed the transition-phase in the near future and he more easily blends in.

Edit; I otherwise agree with the pros and cons.

But the training camp has lasted the last 5-6 weeks. Now Ehlers is able to go now, but flying him over to get one week just doesn't seem very logical. Especially when he would be competing for the 4. line. And its a little rough on the other guys who have been there for that entire time.

One thing is sending one of them home to give place to a guy who will be on the top lines, but Ehlers would not be a top liner at this point.

Last edited:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
But the training camp has lasted the last 5-6 weeks. Now Ehlers is able to go now, but flying him over to get one week just doesn't seem very logical. Especially when he would be competing for the 4. line. And its a little rough on the other guys who have been there for that entire time.

One thing is sending one of them home to give place to a guy who will be on the top lines, but Ehlers would not be a top liner at this point.

Maybe I am really bad in explaining things. Either way, none of you have understood what I am trying to say and I have no clue on how to explain it any different, so lets just close it here :)

danishdynamite

Jan 11, 2011
from fb:

Ishockeylandsholdets officielle VM-side

Ingen melding på Oliver. Flyers-spillerne har den obligatoriske check ud-dag i dag, inkl. lægetjek. Vi har ingen indikationer på, at han ikke kommer, men omvendt heller ikke et go. Det melder vi ud her, straks vi har det. Intet nyt om Philip, men landstræneren udtager VM-holdet i morgen aften efter kampen, så der forventes en afklaring.

1 · for 2 timer siden
Kim: Bliver det endelig hold annonceret i morgen aften så??

for 2 timer siden
Ishockeylandsholdets officielle VM-side

Ja, eller hurtigst muligt efter kampen - man kan ikke afvise at det bliver søndag/mandag, hvis der opstår skader eller på anden måde usikkerhed om den endelige udtagelse, men udgangspunktet er i morgen med hvilke navne, som rejser med til Minsk på onsdag. I alt 24 spillere. Der vil dog formentlig blive holdt pladser åbne til de tre NHL-spillere, som spiller slutspil.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
I count 26 players. Two has to go. More if they include Oliver Lauridsen and/or Philip Larsen in those 24.

I'm gonna go with one of Overmark/Bruggisser/Christensen and one of Lassen/Spelling. Lets say Christensen and Spelling.

Paaske

Apr 10, 2013
Copenhagen
How do you know how big Ehlers will be? Have you visited a fortune teller? Dont believe everything they say....they are just there because of the money. ;)

If it werent for his size he would be in contention for being the number one draft this year. Just like the ones you are mentioning, so what is your arguement exactly??? Size in terms or muscles can be added later on.

Edit; I wasnt even trying to compare him to Laudrup, but trying to argue for the obvious benefits of letting a young boy in earlier on that we know is going to be a part of it anyway in the years to come because of his talent.

You say if it werent for his size . that size is NOT there so it matters. And everytime we get a topprospect here in Denmark we all think that its the next Crosby , hes a very good player and hes gonna do well but hes not a franchise talent compared to those i mentioned .

And on a note to why he shouldnt go to worlds , as many others has said here , having him play 4th line duties is pointless and getting an injury WOULD hurt his draft.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
I count 26 players. Two has to go. More if they include Oliver Lauridsen and/or Philip Larsen in those 24.

I'm gonna go with one of Overmark/Bruggisser/Christensen and one of Lassen/Spelling. Lets say Christensen and Spelling.

Gotta hope Overmark is cut. Would be tough to have to root for a team that has him on it... :laugh::help:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Gotta hope Overmark is cut. Would be tough to have to root for a team that has him on it... :laugh::help:

If I were to do my best "media-guy-looking-for-something-to-talk-about"-impression I'd ask what kind of signal it sends to overlook the guy you catch in wrong doings but select his most vocal supporter. Just don't caught?

Personally I'm not his biggest fan either but if he gets the job done on the blue line he'll be more than welcome! :)

Btw I noted that they will take 24 players to Minsk but since you can register players way into the tournament they'll only register 21 I think from the start. That's 3 reserves going as fill ins for the NHL players DIU hopes come. It's not gonna be unimportant who get's dressed in the first game ;)

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Lines for the last test vs. Belarus per Peter Fredberg:

Jesper B. Jensen-Emil Kristensen
Phillip Bruggisser-Stefan Lassen
Markus Lauridsen-Rasmus Nielsen
Anders Overmark-Jannik Christensen

Frederik Storm-Jesper Jensen-Patrick Bjørkstrand
Mads Christensen-Morten Green-Morten Poulsen
Thomas Spelling-Julian Jakobsen-Nicklas Jensen
Kim Staal-Morten Madsen-Lasse Lassen

Simon Nielsen in net, Patrick Galbraith mans the bench. Hope that's not permanent.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
One of the articles mentioned that it was very expected that Larsen would join but that he had a contract situation beforehand. It would suprise me is that was such a formality as they make it seem. But very hyped to have Ollie back. So important.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
One of the articles mentioned that it was very expected that Larsen would join but that he had a contract situation beforehand. It would suprise me is that was such a formality as they make it seem. But very hyped to have Ollie back. So important.

I was a bit worried after the first couple of exhibition matches, but I am more confident in our team now. If we could add a few centers from the NHL and Freddie we would have the best team ever. I suspect that is what Karlsson is aiming at since we have that final game against Slovakia in group A. Lets say we win against Italy and France and maybe loses to Norway in OT and then Norway loses to Slovakia, then we could progess to the quarters with a win over Slovakia in the last game. Wouldnt that be something.....

Off course we have said stuff like that before and then just tanked finishing almost side by side to the relegating team. Let us wait for confirmation on Ollie and still hope for Larsen before we get to excited.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I was a bit worried after the first couple of exhibition matches, but I am more confident in our team now. If we could add a few centers from the NHL and Freddie we would have the best team ever. I suspect that is what Karlsson is aiming at since we have that final game against Slovakia in group A. Lets say we win against Italy and France and maybe loses to Norway in OT and then Norway loses to Slovakia, then we could progess to the quarters with a win over Slovakia in the last game. Wouldnt that be something.....

Off course we have said stuff like that before and then just tanked finishing almost side by side to the relegating team. Let us wait for confirmation on Ollie and still hope for Larsen before we get to excited.

Its a little sad that we have lost to Norway to often that we just take it for granted that this is the game we are going to lose:sarcasm:

The great thing is that we are going to go crazy when we win.

But I agree. I was and still am a little worried about our backs. Ollie really helps there, but I really want Larsen to go. I think we have more than enough goals in the team, so its just a question of whether we can make sure that we don't concede too many.

I not sure we will get more additions from NA. Im quite confident that Chicago will advance so no Regin and the Habs could very well be looking at a seven game series....

Maybe Freddy but who knows. They still have to say yes ofcourse even if they become available.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
YES! Philip Larsen ready.

No link since DIU apparently thinks that using a facebook profile to make official statements is appropriate behaviour for such an organisation.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 3