Denmark: 2014 World Championship Thread

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
The black aces(Those players called up from AHL club to train with the NHL clubs during the playoffs) might not be called up before after the AHL regular season has ended. Until then everything's up in the air.

The interesting part of the NT right now is the D. As to the future of the position: We've got quite a few D-prospects coming up? Maybe not glowing NHL-talent but between Hertzberg, Morten Jensen, Mads Larsen(Noted for 8 Allsvenskan games this year), Mathias Lassen, Nicolai Weichel, Jeppe Vinther, Anders Krogsgaard and all the others U20s and U18s in the Danish League there seems to be a few that has the chance of giving the NT the depth we have on forward. And this in a 5 year span where really only Daniel Nielsen is expected to need replacing :)

This year the D is the place with the most question marks IMO. *Read with horror music in the background* Will Philip Larsen get home? And when? Is Oliver Lauridsen healthy enough? And free from the Flyers? Will Markus Lauridsen get home in time? What is up with Stefan Lassen? And if he's good to go: In what state? What's the deal with Bødker's ban? And if worse comes to worse and all of these answers are negative: How do you build the D-core from that? Daniel Nielsen will have to do it all(BP, PP, tough match-ups 5-on-5) as usual. And Jesper B. Jensen, Rasmus Nielsen and Emil Kristensen will be there. But then what? It's maybe not completely nonsense to look at the pairings in camp right now and how Michael Eskesen and Rasmus Nielsen are doing on special teams in the last finals :sarcasm::naughty:

But then again. There's always...
4561857-duus.jpg

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Always room for Jesper Duus!

But it can really go both ways. We can end up without any NA-based d-men and also lack some of the better european ones so it good that these test matches + final series can show who are in form right now and who aren't.

But you are right Bank. It looks like Denmark in a few years stands before a possible generational change on the d-man side that has been fairly constant until recently. Many interesting prospects coming and Sonny Hertzberg is very promising and then you have the 1996-1997 classes of players with unusually many d-prospects.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Well expansion of the pool rather than a generational shift. The current ones aren't in an age of decline anytime soon:

Stefan Lassen, 28
Mads Bødker, 26
Oliver Lauridsen, 25
Markus Lauridsen, 23
Philip Larsen, 24
Jesper B. Jensen, 22
Rasmus Nielsen, 23
Emil Kristensen, 21

Hell even the guys next in line are properly around for some time:

Phillip Bruggisser, 22
Jannik Christensen, 23
Simon Grønvaldt, 23
Kasper Jensen, 26
Michael Eskesen, 27
Philip Hersby, 29

I'd guess - with the exception of Hersby. And perhaps even with him - that all of these guys have at least 5 more years in them. That would leave those young guys between 21-24. That's COULD be some bad ass depth. Mariana Trench style!

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Oh and forgot.

Simon Nielsen had to sit on the bench for the bronze game in Finland to. He should ready now. So should Daniel Nielsen, Morten Madsen and Julian Jakobsen. Hamburg lost to Ingolstadt.

Now we just need the NA's accept/AHL-season cleared/playoff exits and Herning(Rasmus Nielsen, Anders H. Poulsen, Lasse Lassen, Georg Sørensen) and SønderjyskE(Eskesen, Spelling, Frank) to finish. As if anybody cares who wins that series :sarcasm:

AND something I forgot when I posted earlier. It's important to note that Oliver Lauridsen is back in the game for the Phantoms in the AHL. Had an assist last night. So health is down to #2 on list of concerns with him.

BONUS INFO: It looks like Nichlas Hardt is a similar situation to Jesper B. Jensen. Both will need to convince a new club to hand them a contract.

Last edited:

DK Rookie

May 9, 2013
Looks like Stefan Lassen will be there: According to BT - Graz 99 didn't make the playoffs, so maybe a test game or two wouldn't hurt, but he always performs for the NT anyhow so why not spend some time with his kid? :)

That takes up another spot on defense. I think Jesper B. Jensen, Markus Lauridsen, Daniel Nielsen, Emil Kristensen are locks to be there too (barring injuries, knock on wood and what have you! :laugh:) and with Philip Larsen (haven't seen anywhere that he was waived, or assigned to OKC - and don't expect Markus Lauridsen to get called up, or I hope not!) it leaves 1-2 spots. With one kept open in the hope of seeing Oliver Lauridsen that leaves just one spot for: Rasmus Nielsen, Michael Eskesen, Kasper Jensen, Philip Brugisser, Simon Grønvaldt and Sonny Hertzberg to fight for. That is unless Mads Bødker suddenly gets back in contention?

Upfront, I would think that four centers are locks: Frans Nielsen, Morten Green, Julian Jakobsen and Jesper Jensen (Jesper Jensen maybe as 13th guy or on the wing - unless he's improved his defensive game (I've had no time to follow Swedish Allsvenskan hockey this season!)

9-10 guys on the wing, depending on Hansen's decision: Jannik Hansen (opt out of this one?), Mikkel Bødker, Nicklas Jensen, Nichlas Hardt, Morten Madsen, Patrick Bjorkstrand, Mads Christensen, Frederik Storm, Morten Poulsen, Kim Staal + Thomas Spelling, Morten Lie and Steffen Frank.

That's 13-14 forwards (assuming no injuries and Utica don't succeed with a late push), leaving the guys in Denmark: Spelling, Lie, Frank + Anders Poulsen and Morten Andreasen (as candidates for a 4th line center) with 1 spot (at best) to fight for. Pretty good dept and competition compared to previous years really! (And that's missing two NHL forwards and two 100+ point producers in CHL, Madsen/Starkov made the team when they had good junior seasons back in Moscow, if memory serves me correctly!)

Patrick Galbraith will start in goal (I think :laugh:), and who backs him up, sits in the stands and watches from a couch somewhere is a bit up in the air for me! Simon Nielsen hasn't played much but has experience from WC, Sebastian Dahm plays regularly, and Georg Sørensen is a great prospect.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
A bit off topic, but Hamburg announced that they won't be extending Daniel Nielsen's contract. Maybe you guys know why? I think he can easily play in the DEL for few more years, no?

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Looks like Stefan Lassen will be there: According to BT - Graz 99 didn't make the playoffs, so maybe a test game or two wouldn't hurt, but he always performs for the NT anyhow so why not spend some time with his kid? :)

That takes up another spot on defense. I think Jesper B. Jensen, Markus Lauridsen, Daniel Nielsen, Emil Kristensen are locks to be there too (barring injuries, knock on wood and what have you! :laugh:) and with Philip Larsen (haven't seen anywhere that he was waived, or assigned to OKC - and don't expect Markus Lauridsen to get called up, or I hope not!) it leaves 1-2 spots. With one kept open in the hope of seeing Oliver Lauridsen that leaves just one spot for: Rasmus Nielsen, Michael Eskesen, Kasper Jensen, Philip Brugisser, Simon Grønvaldt and Sonny Hertzberg to fight for. That is unless Mads Bødker suddenly gets back in contention?

Upfront, I would think that four centers are locks: Frans Nielsen, Morten Green, Julian Jakobsen and Jesper Jensen (Jesper Jensen maybe as 13th guy or on the wing - unless he's improved his defensive game (I've had no time to follow Swedish Allsvenskan hockey this season!)

7-8 guys on the wing, depending on Hansen's decision: Jannik Hansen (opt out of this one?), Mikkel Bødker, Nicklas Jensen, Nichlas Hardt, Mads Christensen, Frederik Storm, Morten Poulsen, Kim Staal + Thomas Spelling, Morten Lie and Steffen Frank.

That's 11-12 forwards (assuming no injuries and Utica don't succeed with a late push), leaving Spelling, Lie, Frank and Anders Poulsen, Morten Andreasen (as candidates for a 4th line center) to battle for 1-2 spots.

Patrick Galbraith will start in goal (I think :laugh:), and who backs him up, sits in the stands and watches from a couch somewhere is a bit up in the air for me! Simon Nielsen hasn't played much but has experience from WC, Sebastian Dahm plays regularly, and Georg Sørensen is a great prospect.

Great news on Stefan Lassen. Did not know why he suddenly got left out. Phew :handclap:

On the other hand. I'm not sure I'd count on Markus Lauridsen not being a black ace. If my memory serves me right NHL clubs usually takes an all hands on deck approach come playoff time :) I think there's a bigger chance Oliver get home due to the Flyers getting eliminated. But with just of them and Stefan Lassen still makes it a strong D-group.

And I'd add Patrick Bjørkstrand to your forward corp ;) :D

DK Rookie

May 9, 2013
Great news on Stefan Lassen. Did not know why he suddenly got left out. Phew :handclap:

On the other hand. I'm not sure I'd count on Markus Lauridsen not being a black ace. If my memory serves me right NHL clubs usually takes an all hands on deck approach come playoff time :) I think there's a bigger chance Oliver get home due to the Flyers getting eliminated. But with just of them and Stefan Lassen still makes it a strong D-group.

And I'd add Patrick Bjørkstrand to your forward corp ;) :D

Maybe I'm just hoping they won't! :laugh: And I've left out Morten Madsen too! Maybe there won't be any spots for the Danish League guys! :) Decent team (by Danish standards) really - assuming they are all fit / willing to go!

danishdynamite

Jan 11, 2011

Jesper Jensen is easily the 2. best C among those four. Had a terrific season in Karlskrona, and people talk about him going to SHL next season.

But hopefully either Eller or Regin (or both) get knocked out in the 1. round of PO. Then we would be strong down the middle!

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Frans Nielsen seems eager to go. This is a tweet from Arthur Staple. So that's one down!

Frans Nielsen told me he'd like to play Worlds for Denmark after missing it last year. Pretty sure he'll be chosen.

This daddy-disease is spreading. Nichlas Hardt has left the camp for a few games to spend time with his family and it's new baby. Congrats to him :)

Last edited:

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Frans Nielsen seems eager to go. This is a tweet from Arthur Staple. So that's one down!

This daddy-disease is spreading. Nichlas Hardt has left the camp for a few games to spend time with his family and it's new baby. Congrats to him :)

That's it. We'll have to start forcing vasectomies on these guys, the sooner we start the better. Just start at their first junior national team camp. :sarcasm:

danishdynamite

Jan 11, 2011
Denmark (Red)
4th Line
21. Svendsen, Sebastian 16. Lauridsen, Kristoffer 44. Thinnesen, Mathias

27. Klarskov, Steffen 26. Christensen, Jannik

3rd Line
19. Staal, Kim 20. Andreasen, Morten 10. Lie, Morten

22. Hertzberg, Sonny 25. Grønvaldt, Simon

2nd Line
60. Christensen, Mads 13. Green, Morten 38. Poulsen, Morten H.

2. Bruggisser, Phillip 18. Jensen, Kasper

1st Line
11. Björkstrand, Patrick 40. Jensen, Jesper 8. Storm, Frederik

28. Kristensen Löjborg, Emil 41. Jensen, Jesper B.

Goalies
32. Dahm, Sebastian
1. Galbraith, Patrick

Head Coach: Karlsson, Jan Assistant Coach: Møller, Theis

Lines for the game tonight.

One is left to wonder why they plan a match against sweden before the NHL-players are available. This could be a massacre...

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Lines for the game tonight.

One is left to wonder why they plan a match against sweden before the NHL-players are available. This could be a massacre...

The result is really not important. Its about getting the chemistry working and evaluating your roster. Quite a few will be "cut" before the final roster when the NA guys join up. There are few challenges bigger than Sweden, so its a great chance to see how the guys stand up against this kind of competion.

We already know what the NA guys can do.

I rather play a opponent like sweden instead of Kazakhstan or a similar team.

I never really worried about Frans. He seems to really have enjoy coming home, and has been a part of national team ever since we in the a-group. I know that he also trains in Herning every summer with Regin among others. Very loyal.....

That's it. We'll have to start forcing vasectomies on these guys, the sooner we start the better. Just start at their first junior national team camp. :sarcasm:

Seconded!.....Might be a problem in the future since half our talent seems to be related to eachother...

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So Denmark lost 5-2 to Sweden which is a quite OK result with the roster fielded.

Both Danish goals by Patrick Bjørkstrand (and both assisted by Jesper Jensen)!

I wonder if that could be the 3'rd line for WC?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

9-10 guys on the wing, depending on Hansen's decision: Jannik Hansen (opt out of this one?), Mikkel Bødker, Nicklas Jensen, Nichlas Hardt, Morten Madsen, Patrick Bjorkstrand, Mads Christensen, Frederik Storm, Morten Poulsen, Kim Staal + Thomas Spelling, Morten Lie and Steffen Frank.

That's 13-14 forwards (assuming no injuries and Utica don't succeed with a late push), leaving the guys in Denmark: Spelling, Lie, Frank + Anders Poulsen and Morten Andreasen (as candidates for a 4th line center) with 1 spot (at best) to fight for. Pretty good dept and competition compared to previous years really! (And that's missing two NHL forwards and two 100+ point producers in CHL, Madsen/Starkov made the team when they had good junior seasons back in Moscow, if memory serves me correctly!)

I see the strength of the Danish forwards something like this:

Center:
Frans Nielsen
Lars Eller (not eligible)
Peter Regin (not eligible)
Morten Green (strong year in DEL)
Jesper Jensen (strong year in Allsvenskan)
Julian Jakobsen (weaker year in DEL).

So Nielsen - Green - Jensen - Jakobsen (if any injury Morten Madsen can take center position).

Right Wing:
Mikkel Bødker [can also be moved to LW if we want a stacked 1'st line]
Jannik Hansen (not attending WC)
Nicklas Jensen
Patrick Bjørkstrand
Kim Staal (great year i DEL2)

Left Wing:
Nichlas Hardt
Morten Madsen
Mads Christensen? [very uncertain with his form this year]
Frederik Storm

13'th forward: Morten Poulsen LW/RW

So just something like if we try to even lines out:
Hardt - Nielsen - Bødker
Madsen - Green - N. Jensen
Christensen - J. Jensen - P. Bjørkstrand
Storm - Jakobsen - Staal

Then comes the shuffling for the right lines.
Christensen+Jensen it might be to lightweight.
Really like this 4'th line......Morten Poulsen could substitute both wings in case of injury.

3'rd line of Storm - Jensen - Bjøkstrand seems good as well.

Stacked 1'st line:
Bødker - Nielsen - N. Jensen
Hardt - Green - P. Bjørkstrand
Madsen - J. Jensen - Christensen/Poulsen
Storm - Jakobsen - Staal

I have a problem on where to put Mads Christensen with his uncertain form.......
Perhaps RW on second line, then Bjørkstrand as 3'rd line and Morten Poulsen as 13'th instead?

Last edited:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
So Denmark lost 5-2 to Sweden which is a quite OK result with the roster fielded.

Both Danish goals by Patrick Bjørkstrand (and both assisted by Jesper Jensen)!

I wonder if that could be the 3'rd line for WC?

Nice to finally get on the scoreboard to!

danishdynamite

Jan 11, 2011
I see the strength of the Danish forwards something like this:

Center:
Frans Nielsen
Lars Eller (not eligible)
Peter Regin (not eligible)
Jesper Jensen (strong year in Allsvenskan)

So Nielsen - Green - Jensen - Jakobsen (if any injury Morten Madsen can take center position).

Right Wing:
Mikkel Bødker [can also be moved to LW if we want a stacked 1'st line]
Jannik Hansen (not attending WC)
Nicklas Jensen
Patrick Bjørkstrand
Kim Staal (great year i DEL2)

Left Wing:
Nichlas Hardt
Morten Madsen
Mads Christensen? [very uncertain with his form this year]
Frederik Storm

13'th forward: Morten Poulsen LW/RW

So just something like if we try to even lines out:
Hardt - Nielsen - Bødker
Madsen - Green - N. Jensen
Christensen - J. Jensen - P. Bjørkstrand
Storm - Jakobsen - Staal

Then comes the shuffling for the right lines.
Christensen+Jensen it might be to lightweight.
Really like this 4'th line......Morten Poulsen could substitute both wings in case of injury.

3'rd line of Storm - Jensen - Bjøkstrand seems good as well.

Stacked 1'st line:
Bødker - Nielsen - N. Jensen
Hardt - Green - P. Bjørkstrand
Madsen - J. Jensen - Christensen/Poulsen
Storm - Jakobsen - Staal

I have a problem on where to put Mads Christensen with his uncertain form.......
Perhaps RW on second line, then Bjørkstrand as 3'rd line and Morten Poulsen as 13'th instead?

My take:

Center:
Frans Nielsen
Lars Eller (could be eligible - has the potential to be nr 1)
Peter Regin (could be eligible)
Jesper Jensen (strong year in Allsvenskan - I'm sure he's better than Green)

I mostly agree on your wings, but I would not pick Staal, and Poulsen is anyway much better.
Storm could also be better than Christensen and even Madsen.
Maybe Lasse Lassen or Spelling as 13th forward.

Mrmadhawk has written that Jesper Jensen has SHL potential, and maybe also Storm.

We need more players in SHL to progress, and with Hardt and Jesper B Jensen (? going, it's beginning to look promising.

If Brugisser and Scheel goes to Allsvenskan next season, we have certainly improved overall.

If somebody watched the match yesterday, please write about it here.

tokr

Jan 10, 2013
FYI: Fridays game vs Sweden will be shown live on Swedish national TV SVT2 @ 14:50

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I am glad this is not the team we are playing with at the WCH.

Poor skating, poor goaltending, poor passes, poor technical skills all around and poor physics.

We would be relegated and wouldnt score a goal.

Edit: Simon Nielsen should be the called the rebound master..... :(

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I am glad this is not the team we are playing with at the WCH.

Poor skating, poor goaltending, poor passes, poor technical skills all around and poor physics.

We would be relegated and wouldnt score a goal.

Edit: Simon Nielsen should be the called the rebound master..... :(

I was thinking this too while watching the 1st period.. Looks atrocious :help:

Especially in the physical department.

On top of all this, the team needs some hockey IQ, just all round bad plays.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I was thinking this too while watching the 1st period.. Looks atrocious :help:

Especially in the physical department.

On top of all this, the team needs some hockey IQ, just all round bad plays.

Av, lost 6-2 that looks fairly OK on paper, but we were outshot 59-16 :help:
This game it was 2 goals by Mads Christensen (good that he shows some goalform).
Seems we really need the help from the NHL players (if anyone didn't know that already).

DK Rookie

May 9, 2013
I got to watch part of the first period and I'll echo seeing a lack of physical play. Can't be expecting a team to match Sweden in the skating and technical department, but at least make a physical challenge out of it! Having just watched a couple of NHL playoff games might make it seem worse to me than it really was (not a single check is left unfinished! :yo:), but didn't see anybody finishing their checks or really protecting the crease (if Nielsen gave up alot of rebounds, the defense could atleast keep the Swedes away and attempt to clear the puck).

I don't think more than two, maybe three, of these defensemen will be on the roster (Jensen and Kristensen), so one would expect more in terms of stacking a claim of one of these spots - only Jesper B. Jensen should feel sure of going. Hope the loss of Hardt doesn't effect the team in that way - making them play like this! Despite his stature he plays very physical, and is perhaps the best energy player we've got! Now that Hansen is also ruled out (he is, officially, not going, right?)

But really, it's just an exhibition game! 7 of the forwards, 2 of the d-men and perhaps the goalie are the only one that I expect will make the team! (The top12 forwards, top6 defensemen that is! Some of the other guys may be in contention as reserves?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad