2014 Training Camp

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I'm not a CBA expert, so hopefully one will chime in here...it's possible Goodrow doesn't need to be added to any roster until he's fit to play. This is similar to a situation a few years ago where a couple of players penciled in to go to Worcester were hurt in training camp and because of the low number of NHL roster days the season before they were exempt from having to be on a roster until healthy. (I believe Stalock was one of the players, but my memory of who was involved is shaky at best). I think Torres, Sheppard, and Kennedy have to be accounted for because of NHL days last season, and as Goodrow has none of those he doesn't.

As a rookie he doesn't have to be on the roster so you're right.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Per tweets, Goodrow is starting as a non-roster player.

So it's: 23 on active roster, 3 on IT/LTIR plus Goodrow

When Goodrow is ready to play, assuming Kennedy and Sheppard are still on the IR, one forward will need to be off the active roster.

I'll guess that the Sharks will find a forward to stash on the IR or assign Hayes back to Worcester.

Is that the most likely way the Sharks deal with this?

I can see them using the IR merry-go-round quite a bit to give Goodrow, Tierney, McGinn and Hayes a longer look.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
So the bottom 6 is...
McGinn-Tierney-Wingels
Burish-Desi-Brown

Anyone know what the d pairings are going to be? Irwin or Hannan? Finishing up my GDT!:)

corbanSOG

Registered Loser
Apr 27, 2003
Probably the worst 4th line in the league

I don't think that the 4th line is terrible if all you're counting on is for them to go out and cause some havoc for 5-6 minutes each night. The problem is you'd love to have a 4th line you can count on to actually contribute meaningful puck possession time for 9-10 minutes each game.

The Sharks have much more potential for a 4th line capable of this when fully healthy, assuming they're willing to let go of some veterans in favor of the youngsters:

Sheppard - Tierney - Wingels
McGinn - Desjardins - Goodrow/Kennedy

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Where did I say that fans on a message board had anything to do with his paycheck or that it swayed anyone's opinion in the organization? I said it's pretty much how people were treating Ehrhoff. And that treatment of trashing the player in a ridiculous manner is rather annoying because those people doing it underestimate what the players bring to the team as a d-man just because he's not a shutdown defensive defenseman.

Ehrhoff's last year in SJ I believe he was a -12 on a team that was an average +22 I think. At one of those advanced stats sites he was pegged with the worst defensive efficiency in the league. His offensive contributions (primarily power play assists) have never compensated for his defensive failings on any team. And in SJ he lead the team (and the league?) in short handed goals against, which were greater than the goals he actually scored. I don't think people were ignorant of the offense Ehrhoff brought, they just recognized its limited value in the overall picture.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Since you brought it up, what are the records?
Golly you are fast. I deleted my post as fast as I could push the iPhone buttons.

I initially misread the post thinking it said Stuart was an asset when he was in. actually their record was significantly better when he was out than when he was in. And his play was so bad it's not hard to see why.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So the talk went from "should Desi play a bigger role" to…

Burish - Desi - Brown

ouch! :laugh:

Poor Desi. He's probably one the better 4th liners we've had in a long time but he's not good enough to carry that steaming pile of garbage of a line.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Golly you are fast. I deleted my post as fast as I could push the iPhone buttons.

I initially misread the post thinking it said Stuart was an asset when he was in. actually their record was significantly better when he was out than when he was in. And his play was so bad it's not hard to see why.

I just counted and it was 39 wins / 29 losses with Stuart in.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ehrhoff's last year in SJ I believe he was a -12 on a team that was an average +22 I think. At one of those advanced stats sites he was pegged with the worst defensive efficiency in the league. His offensive contributions (primarily power play assists) have never compensated for his defensive failings on any team. And in SJ he lead the team (and the league?) in short handed goals against, which were greater than the goals he actually scored. I don't think people were ignorant of the offense Ehrhoff brought, they just recognized its limited value in the overall picture.

You would be incorrect. It's sort of impossible for a team to average +22 when their best player in that category was +16. And of course he was going to be defensively inefficient. Look at who he was playing with. Douglas Murray wasn't exactly NHL caliber at the time. He was predominantly matched up with a revolving door of a 3rd and 4th lines that never contained anyone who was even halfway decent at possession. You also act like those power play assists don't matter. The team was never more efficient on the power play than when Ehrhoff was on the ice. The short-handed goals against is a laughable argument that only proves you're looking ONLY for reasons to disparage the player because you overvalue defensive play from defensemen and undervalue offensive play from defensemen. That side of the argument is talking about a teamwide 11 goals against. That's really what you're going to be making a point with? 11 goals against? Come on.

40+ point defensemen don't grow on trees and Ehrhoff was one that was doing it without getting anywhere near the prime opportunities that are normally afforded to d-men producing at that rate. If he had gotten full time duties rather than splitting the time with Blake, he would've blown Blake's production away and challenged Boyle's. If he was given any sort of offensive talent at even strength, he would've produced more and likely looked a lot better. You say people weren't ignorant of the offense brought well judging by your post, I wouldn't be too sure of that since you made every effort to slant what he brought into a negative light due to your bias against him.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

They don't call me "fastest poster in the east" for nothing. Actually, no one calls me that, so what do I know? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad