2014 Training Camp

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Shocking, they invited a kid known for his fighting to rookie camp :sarcasm:

I'm glad someone sort of confirmed that the Sharks rookies will be facing the Ducks rookies, though I'm a bit surprised that the Kings aren't involved as well.

I also heard a couple of weeks ago that Tyson Baillie would be invited to rookie camp, I still haven't seem any confirmation on him so it might not be true but if it is I'd love to see him impress and earn an ELC. I thought he was really good for Kelowna for the past two years.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Finally confirmation on Baillie:

Kelowna Rockets retweeted
21s

Kevin Parnell @KP_media1
Very happy to report #whlrockets spark plug Tyson Baillie has been invited to San Jose Sharks training camp. Heart and soul player #beauty

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I don't know anything about him. Is he good?

Yep. Was an every situation player on the best team in the WHL.

Main reason he went undrafted is due to his size and that his scoring leveled off in the latter part of the season.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yep. Was an every situation player on the best team in the WHL.

Main reason he went undrafted is due to his size and that his scoring leveled off in the latter part of the season.

Assuming he gets signed by the Sharks, what could we expect out of him?

Also, can we even sign him or does he have to go back into the draft? I don't get how that works sometimes.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Assuming he gets signed by the Sharks, what could we expect out of him?

Also, can we even sign him or does he have to go back into the draft? I don't get how that works sometimes.

I still haven't bothered looking at the new CBA but I'm pretty sure they can sign him if they like what they see.

Edit: I had completely forgotten about it but someone just reminded me that Baillie had broken his leg towards and missed the final 16 games. He had a very lackluster January (which is what I do remember) and combine that with his size and injury and it probably explains, at least a little bit, why he wasn't drafted.

Last edited:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Tyson fell, far. Some hockey experts had him ranked in the 3rd round.

(DraftSite.com actually has us picking him in the 3rd round :laugh: )

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
is there a scouting report on him, i cant seem to find one...

from what little i see i like,him as a pto.

Here's a very basic one from a year ago:
Future Considerations
Baillie plays a strong all-round game. He has good balance and speed and quick hands that allow him to handle the puck well in one-on-one situations. He sees the ice well, makes skilled passes and creates chances.

He was heavily used this past season skating in a top 6 role at evens and was extremely productive all through 2013. If he ends up with an ELC from the Sharks I'll get into more detail about his play.

Hertl

Fun Must Be Sometimes
Nov 15, 2010
Interesting... I did a google search to find some info on Baillie and the Sharks already have a roster player page made for him, but he's not listed on the roster... Could this mean he was a FA signing and it isn't released yet?

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8478185

Anyone have any reason why he wasn't drafted?
Edit: I had completely forgotten about it but someone just reminded me that Baillie had broken his leg towards and missed the final 16 games. He had a very lackluster January (which is what I do remember) and combine that with his size and injury and it probably explains, at least a little bit, why he wasn't drafted.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Interesting... I did a google search to find some info on Baillie and the Sharks already have a roster player page made for him, but he's not listed on the roster... Could this mean he was a FA signing and it isn't released yet?

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8478185

Anyone have any reason why he wasn't drafted?

He isn't signed.

I'm not sure if it's the Sharks or the NHL that update those pages but camp invites get them for some reason...if you look up Anthony DiFruscia or Daniel Moynihan they'll have Shark player pages as well (both undrafted players / rookie camp invites w/o confirmation yet).

As Miku pointed out, if you read above I posted some speculation as to why he wasn't drafted.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
What flavor will the Kool-Aid be this season?

Cherry red

DW can't blame himself. He should, but that is job suicide. Until he fixes the LHD depth, we won't go far. Blame should have started with him. Free pass is mind boggling.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
@ObserverShaun: One noticeable omission is San Jose draft pick Nikolay Goldobin. Goldobin will report straight to San Jose's training camp per Mark Glavin.

@ObserverShaun: Team will wait and see what San Jose opts to do with Goldobin before making any further decisions re: Import status.

I'm guessing the org will sign him to an ELC before the summer is over.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
@ObserverShaun: One noticeable omission is San Jose draft pick Nikolay Goldobin. Goldobin will report straight to San Jose's training camp per Mark Glavin.

@ObserverShaun: Team will wait and see what San Jose opts to do with Goldobin before making any further decisions re: Import status.

I'm guessing the org will sign him to an ELC before the summer is over.

He's not ready, I get trying to slide his ELC a year if he's signed now and sent down, but just wait DW, please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad