2014 Training Camp

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
"Treating" him? He's a pro sports player, he gets treated very well in $$$ regardless of what fans say on a message board. I very much doubt that fan sentiment in SJ sways the opinion of anyone in the entire sharks org.

Where did I say that fans on a message board had anything to do with his paycheck or that it swayed anyone's opinion in the organization? I said it's pretty much how people were treating Ehrhoff. And that treatment of trashing the player in a ridiculous manner is rather annoying because those people doing it underestimate what the players bring to the team as a d-man just because he's not a shutdown defensive defenseman.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
I don't think its any different than any other team. The Sharks had no issues scratching Stuart, Havlat, Hannan and Kennedy at different points last year.

I know you rattled those of real quickly, but those examples don't convince me otherwise.

Stuart was almost entirely scratched for health reasons--If we had scratched Stuart when he was deserving we may get out of the 1st round. Kennedy just isn't a fit for this team (or maybe the whole west) which showed more and more as the season progressed (correlating with his scratches). Hannan played about as much as one would have expected from the beginning (if not more). I'll give you Havlat, but even he is a tough example as so little of the time was he near 100% (if ever).

I must admit it does appear to be a bit different this year than in the past. But some of the FA signings and vets that continue to get ice time still have me wondering.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I know you rattled those of real quickly, but those examples don't convince me otherwise.

Stuart was almost entirely scratched for health reasons--If we had scratched Stuart when he was deserving we may get out of the 1st round. Kennedy just isn't a fit for this team (or maybe the whole west) which showed more and more as the season progressed (correlating with his scratches). Hannan played about as much as one would have expected from the beginning (if not more). I'll give you Havlat, but even he is a tough example as so little of the time was he near 100% (if ever).

I must admit it does appear to be a bit different this year than in the past. But some of the FA signings and vets that continue to get ice time still have me wondering.

They were all scratched at different points last year due to performance. Not just health. The Sharks are no different than any other team in regards to vets/rookies.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Any news on the final cut?

Sounds like Goodrow is hurt so he may start the season on IR.

According to Pollak the 3rd and 4th lines today are:
McGinn-Tierney-Wingels
Burish-Desi-Brown

Tomorrow night isn't going to be pretty.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
So we're starting the year with Torres, Sheppard, Kennedy and Goodrow on IR. It'll be interesting to see what happens when guys start getting healthy. We'll have a logjam of bottom-six forwards (and too many men on the roster) so moves will obviously have to be made.

Maybe our dreams will be realized and some combination of Kennedy/Burish/Brown/Scott will be waived/traded.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

McGinn-Tierney-Wingels
Burish-Desi-Brown

Well it will be a good learning experience haha

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
So we're starting the year with Torres, Sheppard, Kennedy and Goodrow on IR. It'll be interesting to see what happens when guys start getting healthy. We'll have a logjam of bottom-six forwards (and too many men on the roster) so moves will obviously have to be made.

Maybe our dreams will be realized and some combination of Kennedy/Burish/Brown/Scott will be waived/traded.

I highly doubt they will waive Brown or Scott considering the were signed during this offseason. Burish is the only one out of those guys I could see getting waived. I imagine they will either do that or send down the youngsters that don't have to go through waivers. Or maybe DW will end up trading Kennedy/Burish for peanuts to a team with plenty of cap room.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
I highly doubt they will waive Brown or Scott considering the were signed during this offseason. Burish is the only one out of those guys I could see getting waived. I imagine they will either do that or send down the youngsters that don't have to go through waivers. Or maybe DW will end up trading Kennedy/Burish for peanuts to a team with plenty of cap room.

You're probably right. I don't expect Brown or Scott to go anywhere, just some wishful thinking. I agree that Burish is the most likely candidate to be waived, and if Tierney/Goodrow continue to impress, I could see Sheppard and/or Kennedy being traded.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
If we waive Burish no one will claim him and his $1.85 cap-hit will still be affecting the big team while Adam rots in Worchester

I seriously doubt that happens, at least not while he has another year left on his deal

They need to play him in the hopes that he can bring his trade value up to that of a 7th round draft pick

He won't, and we'll be stuck with him, but that's the line of thinking I expect the org to take

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

I'm hoping that at some point relatively early in the season the org sees how useless the signing of Scott is/was and waives/trades him.

They should also find a way to get rid of Burish.

Brown is on the team so I'll just hope he'll be used a spot player.

I really, really dream of the day that this org figures it out and uses actual talent on the 4th line. A Sheppard-Desi-Kennedy line would be a great 4th line in my opinion.

And now I will come back to the reality that is the San Jose Sharks now.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I get that but does the cap hit really matter since the Sharks aren't against the cap anymore.

Yes it does.

Sharks in the off season were estimated to have ~$4m in cap space with a healthy 23 man roster.

Torres is on LTIR (perhaps for the season), but still Sheppard and Kennedy are starting on the IR and their two cap hits will count.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
There's going to be a breaking point once they decide that they want Goodrow and Tierney with the team full time this year. There's no way you can hold on to what may as well amount to 6 4th liners with the insistence of playing youth and acknowledgement of those youth's abilities.

Then next year, Goldobin may possibly end up making the team too. Logjam possibly on the horizon.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Yes it does.

Sharks in the off season were estimated to have ~$4m in cap space with a healthy 23 man roster.

Torres is on LTIR (perhaps for the season), but still Sheppard and Kennedy are starting on the IR and their two cap hits will count.

Your cap calculations aren't accurate.

They have 25 players on the roster (according to capgeek) and still have $4.8MM in cap space. Once they add Hayes they'll still have $4.1+mm w/o anyone on LTIR.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Your cap calculations aren't accurate.

They have 25 players on the roster (according to capgeek) and still have $4.8MM in cap space. Once they add Hayes they'll still have $4.1+mm w/o anyone on LTIR.

Don't forget McGinn. He's not included on capgeek either for some reason.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Don't forget McGinn. He's not included on capgeek either for some reason.

Ok, so $3.5 million in cap space with 27 players on the roster counting against the cap.

I don't think cap space is going to be an issue this year unless DW surprises everyone and makes a big splash later on in the season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If we waive Burish no one will claim him and his $1.85 cap-hit will still be affecting the big team while Adam rots in Worchester

I seriously doubt that happens, at least not while he has another year left on his deal

They need to play him in the hopes that he can bring his trade value up to that of a 7th round draft pick

He won't, and we'll be stuck with him, but that's the line of thinking I expect the org to take

His cap hit minus 900k or so I think but I doubt it happens as well. The team just doesn't need him and they should trade him somewhere we may actually deserve ice time like Winnipeg or Edmonton or some other crappy team. He doesn't deserve nor has he earned ice time on this team.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

DW should've used his other compliance buyout on him. It still baffles me why he didn't.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

McGinn-Tierney-Wingels
Burish-Desi-Brown

I'm not a CBA expert, so hopefully one will chime in here...it's possible Goodrow doesn't need to be added to any roster until he's fit to play. This is similar to a situation a few years ago where a couple of players penciled in to go to Worcester were hurt in training camp and because of the low number of NHL roster days the season before they were exempt from having to be on a roster until healthy. (I believe Stalock was one of the players, but my memory of who was involved is shaky at best). I think Torres, Sheppard, and Kennedy have to be accounted for because of NHL days last season, and as Goodrow has none of those he doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad