2014 Training Camp

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Mike Brown is only good when his line mates pick up the slack, Desjardins is fine on the 4th line.

Then we have Burish, no way should he play. Just dress 7 d.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
He managed to be decent in his role with Dallas. Has done nothing here so far.

I dread Burish. Not trying to defend him too much but he has been injured an awful lot since coming here. Hope he gets it together, otherwise we need to trade him or waive him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Its an old boring argument about a player who was ok while here but blossomed once he left. Its been what? 4 or 5 years? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has moved beyond him.

And his time here mirrors in some ways Jason Demers in terms of how he's viewed by people and he was blossoming when he was here not once he left.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
For those that thought DW didn't even bother trying to do anything over the summer, aside from talking to Vrbata (per LeBrun) he was apparently interested in Leddy as well.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-brodeur-wants-out-on-his-own-terms/

I haven't been thrilled with how the offseason went (Brown, Hannan, Scott) but he knows what the weaknesses are on this team and I believe that they're looking to win. I wouldn't be surprised to see an addition or two over the course of the season if some guys struggle.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
That said I'd still take him in the lineup over Brown.

I wouldn't

Brown doesn't have much to give, but he's constantly working out there

Give me all will, no skill over. . . whatever it is that Burish does

I'm honestly still trying to figure that part out

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Only reason we even signed Burish is because our PK was piss poor at the time.

now I just dunno

I'm not arguing that Burish is good, he's not.

He is, however, better than Mike Brown. It sucks that the bar is set so low but I didn't set it.

Brown is quite literally one of the 5-10 worst forwards in the NHL. No amount of effort will change that.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I'm not arguing that Burish is good, he's not.

He is, however, better than Mike Brown. It sucks that the bar is set so low but I didn't set it.

Brown is quite literally one of the 5-10 worst forwards in the NHL. No amount of effort will change that.

I honestly feel like what we've seen from the two of them thus far in a Sharks uniform their skill level is about equal, and Brown works harder (and causes more chaos).

I certainly think Burish IS more skilled, he just has yet to show it, at all.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
I wouldn't

Brown doesn't have much to give, but he's constantly working out there

Give me all will, no skill over. . . whatever it is that Burish does

I'm honestly still trying to figure that part out

"Tierney, Goodrow and Mueller have all played exceptional, and they've earned the right to be here right now," Sharks coach Todd McLellan said Monday. "As our roster gets sorted out today, to this point, they've been very good and they've earned the right to be here."

Hopefully Panda remembers what he said here and once Goodrow and Kennedy are healthy sends Burish packing. He hasn't earned a spot with his play in NHL team since his Dallas days.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
"Tierney, Goodrow and Mueller have all played exceptional, and they've earned the right to be here right now," Sharks coach Todd McLellan said Monday. "As our roster gets sorted out today, to this point, they've been very good and they've earned the right to be here."

Hopefully Panda remembers what he said here and once Goodrow and Kennedy are healthy sends Burish packing. He hasn't earned a spot with his play in NHL team since his Dallas days.

Koala, Panda is Pablo Sandoval.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
For those that thought DW didn't even bother trying to do anything over the summer, aside from talking to Vrbata (per LeBrun) he was apparently interested in Leddy as well.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-brodeur-wants-out-on-his-own-terms/

I haven't been thrilled with how the offseason went (Brown, Hannan, Scott) but he knows what the weaknesses are on this team and I believe that they're looking to win. I wouldn't be surprised to see an addition or two over the course of the season if some guys struggle.

Impossible. I was told by experts here that he purposely did nothing to force Jumbo and Patty to ask to be traded?!

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Impossible. I was told by experts here that he purposely did nothing to force Jumbo and Patty to ask to be traded?!

If it's even true, which it may be but who knows, it doesn't mean anything. He's not an idiot. If he could toss out a 2nd and get Leddy you do that, regardless of the situation.

What we do know is he hasn't filled Burns hole at forward, is relying on a rookie to fill two holes on LD (yes Irwin and Hannan constitute a hole), and has done nothing to address a very questionable goal tending situation. He is also icing two rookies on the 3rd line and 3 fighters on the 4th. He has not traded any high picks for players, and has not replaced Torres who may very well be done for his career.

Basically, he's not trying to win. He'll let them play with what they have, but he's not going to invest ANY equity in this team right now. If he could steal a good player for next to nothing of course he's going to do that, that's just smart asset management.

The answer will come at the deadline. One of these things will happen:

1) The sharks go into the deadline out of a playoff spot, Wilson goes into sell mode and moves any asset he can (Niemi, Kennedy, Burish, Hannan, Irwin, Demers, etc). Thornton likely blames the season on Wilson's lack of support (internally, probably wont say it publicly) and asks for a trade as well as Wilson informs him he's not planning on doing anything different next season either.

2) The Sharks go into the deadline fighting for a playoff spot. Wilson still goes into sell mode. Moves anyone he can. Thornton is now super pissed off and demands a trade.

3) The Sharks go into the deadline with a playoff spot locked up. Wilson sell's off a few passengers, but adds no one of significance. Sharks are out in the 1st or 2nd round. Thornton asks for a trade in the off-season.

4) The Sharks win the cup (by some miracle). Wilson sits back in his recliner, puts his feet up on his desk, and congratulates himself on his brilliant psychological game.

Basically, the telling sign will be if at the deadline the Sharks have not locked up a playoff spot and Wilson starts selling. If he does that, he's clearly trying to get rid of Thornton. If they have locked up a spot and he doesn't add, he clearly has no confidence in the roster and is sticking to his guns until Thornton is gone.

Now, if he does start filling holes at some point, he's changed his mind and decided to go for it, but I think that time is past. Too many holes to fill, too much turn over mid season.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I expect over/under 6 players involved in transactions before trade deadline.

:sarcasm::sarcasm:

You mean with other teams because they could pass that number within the first 8 weeks of the season using the Worcester shuttle.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
If it's even true, which it may be but who knows, it doesn't mean anything. He's not an idiot. If he could toss out a 2nd and get Leddy you do that, regardless of the situation.

What we do know is he hasn't filled Burns hole at forward, is relying on a rookie to fill two holes on LD (yes Irwin and Hannan constitute a hole), and has done nothing to address a very questionable goal tending situation. He is also icing two rookies on the 3rd line and 3 fighters on the 4th. He has not traded any high picks for players, and has not replaced Torres who may very well be done for his career.

Basically, he's not trying to win. He'll let them play with what they have, but he's not going to invest ANY equity in this team right now. If he could steal a good player for next to nothing of course he's going to do that, that's just smart asset management.

The answer will come at the deadline. One of these things will happen:

1) The sharks go into the deadline out of a playoff spot, Wilson goes into sell mode and moves any asset he can (Niemi, Kennedy, Burish, Hannan, Irwin, Demers, etc). Thornton likely blames the season on Wilson's lack of support (internally, probably wont say it publicly) and asks for a trade as well as Wilson informs him he's not planning on doing anything different next season either.

2) The Sharks go into the deadline fighting for a playoff spot. Wilson still goes into sell mode. Moves anyone he can. Thornton is now super pissed off and demands a trade.

3) The Sharks go into the deadline with a playoff spot locked up. Wilson sell's off a few passengers, but adds no one of significance. Sharks are out in the 1st or 2nd round. Thornton asks for a trade in the off-season.

4) The Sharks win the cup (by some miracle). Wilson sits back in his recliner, puts his feet up on his desk, and congratulates himself on his brilliant psychological game.

Basically, the telling sign will be if at the deadline the Sharks have not locked up a playoff spot and Wilson starts selling. If he does that, he's clearly trying to get rid of Thornton. If they have locked up a spot and he doesn't add, he clearly has no confidence in the roster and is sticking to his guns until Thornton is gone.

Now, if he does start filling holes at some point, he's changed his mind and decided to go for it, but I think that time is past. Too many holes to fill, too much turn over mid season.

Or since he and his personnel group know his players better than anyone outside the org. They knew that Mueller, Tierney and Goodrow were that close to making the team so why go waste cap space on outside assets when you can fill them internally for cheap? Its pretty obvious the Sharks are trying to integrate young players and stay competitive at the same time. Look how they drafted..no young 17 year olds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad