2014 NHL Re-Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
You missed Bennett, add him to group 2/3. Merge group 2/3 together and this is pretty much my list. Draisaitl and Reinhart have been good, but neither have done anything to separate themselves from the third group (in my opinion at least). Next year will show a bit more separation, but I don't think we'll know the order of that group for ~5 years as they should all be first line forwards down the road.

I disagree. Bennett has not separated himself from Nylander / Ehlers and Larkin but I apologize for forgetting him. I did this off the top of my head.
Justification for no Fabbri?
I forgot him along with Bennett.

unless it was an oversight, makes no sense to have Virtanen and no Fabbri

Redoo

Ekblad

Reinhart
Draisaitl
(any order)

Bennett
Nylander
Ehlers
Larkin
(any order)

Pasternak
Fabbri

Dal Colle
Ritchie

Virtanen
Fleury

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I disagree. Bennett has not separated himself from Nylander / Ehlers and Larkin but I apologize for forgetting him. I did this off the top of my head.

Redoo

Ekblad

Reinhart
Draisaitl
(any order)

Bennett
Nylander
Ehlers
Larkin
(any order)

Pasternak
Fabbri

Dal Colle
Ritchie

Virtanen
Fleury

So would Honka, DeAngelo and Montour just be the tier below those two for you? What those 3 have done in the AHL is impressive.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How I think the careers will look 10 years from now:

1. William Nylander
2. Leon Draisaitl
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Dylan Larkin
5. Sam Reinhart
6. Vladislav Kamenev
7. Jakub Vrana
8. Sam Bennett
9. Nikita Scherbak
10. Travis Sanheim
11. David Pastrnak
12. Maxim Letunov
13. Robby Fabbri
14. Brandon Montour
15. Nikolaj ehlers
16. Jared Mccann
17. MDC
18. Nick Schmaltz
19. Alex Tuch
20. Nikita Tryamkin
21. Nick ritchie
22. Brendan lemeiux
23. Haydn Fleury
24. Julius Honka
25. Christian dvorak
26. Ivan barbashev
27. Jake virtanen (David booth)
28. Sonny milano
29. Kevin fiala
30. Julius bergman

MPStoEberletoHall*

1. William Nylander
2. Leon Draisaitl
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Dylan Larkin
5. Sam Reinhart
6. Vladislav Kamenev
7. Jakub Vrana
8. Sam Bennett
9. Nikita Scherbak
10. Travis Sanheim
11. David Pastrnak
12. Maxim Letunov
13. Robby Fabbri
14. Brandon Montour
15. Nikolaj ehlers
16. Jared Mccann
17. MDC
18. Nick Schmaltz
19. Alex Tuch
20. Nikita Tryamkin
21. Nick ritchie
22. Brendan lemeiux
23. Haydn Fleury
24. Julius Honka
25. Christian dvorak
26. Ivan barbashev
28. Sonny milano
29. Kevin fiala
30. Julius bergman

Yuck

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

1. William Nylander
2. Leon Draisaitl
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Dylan Larkin
5. Sam Reinhart
6. Vladislav Kamenev
7. Jakub Vrana
8. Sam Bennett
9. Nikita Scherbak
10. Travis Sanheim
11. David Pastrnak
12. Maxim Letunov
13. Robby Fabbri
14. Brandon Montour
15. Nikolaj ehlers
16. Jared Mccann
17. MDC
18. Nick Schmaltz
19. Alex Tuch
20. Nikita Tryamkin
21. Nick ritchie
22. Brendan lemeiux
23. Haydn Fleury
24. Julius Honka
25. Christian dvorak
26. Ivan barbashev
28. Sonny milano
29. Kevin fiala
30. Julius bergman

Posts like these smell of agenda.

When you put Nylander at 1 and Ehlers waaaaaay down at 15 behind some questionable players.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, 93, it was a good post, but I dont agree with Willie at two, or your take on Ehlers.

Last edited:

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

1. William Nylander
2. Leon Draisaitl
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Dylan Larkin
5. Sam Reinhart
6. Vladislav Kamenev
7. Jakub Vrana
8. Sam Bennett
9. Nikita Scherbak
10. Travis Sanheim
11. David Pastrnak
12. Maxim Letunov
13. Robby Fabbri
14. Brandon Montour
15. Nikolaj ehlers
16. Jared Mccann
17. MDC
18. Nick Schmaltz
19. Alex Tuch
20. Nikita Tryamkin
21. Nick ritchie
22. Brendan lemeiux
23. Haydn Fleury
24. Julius Honka
25. Christian dvorak
26. Ivan barbashev
28. Sonny milano
29. Kevin fiala
30. Julius bergman

One of the worst lists I've ever seen on here. So much wrong on here it's appalling. Nylander over Ekblad and Drai? OK :laugh:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

1. William Nylander
2. Leon Draisaitl
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Dylan Larkin
5. Sam Reinhart
6. Vladislav Kamenev
7. Jakub Vrana
8. Sam Bennett
9. Nikita Scherbak
10. Travis Sanheim
11. David Pastrnak
12. Maxim Letunov
13. Robby Fabbri
14. Brandon Montour
15. Nikolaj ehlers
16. Jared Mccann
17. MDC
18. Nick Schmaltz
19. Alex Tuch
20. Nikita Tryamkin
21. Nick ritchie
22. Brendan lemeiux
23. Haydn Fleury
24. Julius Honka
25. Christian dvorak
26. Ivan barbashev
28. Sonny milano
29. Kevin fiala
30. Julius bergman

Please... I'd get it if Ehlers was in the top 5, but that's just pure bias or wet dreams. Be happy if Nylander ends up in the top 5 when all is said and done. Might turn out closer to top 10 than 5. Time will show. None of them so far have displayed the kind of trajectory that would drop Ekblad from where he was originally drafted.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Posts like these smell of agenda.

When you put Nylander at 1 and Ehlers waaaaaay down at 15 behind some questionable players.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, 93, it was a good post, but I dont agree with Willie at two, or your take on Ehlers.

The fact I believe nylander will be an extremely impactful player and ehlers will just be a pretty good winger. Why would I have an agenda? I'm a canucks fan. Not a jet or leaf fan. This is a list 10 years down the road.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Please... I'd get it if Ehlers was in the top 5, but that's just pure bias or wet dreams. Be happy if Nylander ends up in the top 5 when all is said and done. Might turn out closer to top 10 than 5. Time will show. None of them so far have displayed the kind of trajectory that would drop Ekblad from where he was originally drafted.

Nylanders trajectory...first 18 year old since Peter forsberg to go point per game in SHL.

One of best 19 year old season in AHL ever.

Great pace to start NHL career.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Seems you all just like to use popular consensus. I watch many games of all prospect I rank. In both European league and North America. Best is best for longterm skillsets.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Nylanders trajectory...first 18 year old since Peter forsberg to go point per game in SHL.

One of best 19 year old season in AHL ever.

Great pace to start NHL career.

You cannot compare todays SHL with when Forsberg played in the SEL.

and all that means little, I can mention a few players who broke records, Ehlers himself broke more than a few in the Q, and also had a great season.

Willie is good, but his points came n bundles over those 22 games. to put him infront of Rein, Drai and Ekblad is wild guessing, but I guess you are allowed to guess :)

Plus, williemonly played what 22 games in the SEL!?

also, still Ehlers at 15 behind guys like Montour, Letunov, Scherbak, and Kamenev...
Based on NHL trajectory, I think you are selling a few guys very short, to say the least. - to each his own.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

and all that means little, I can mention a few players who broke records, Ehlers himself broke more than a few in the Q, and also had a great season.

Willie is good, but his points came n bundles over those 22 games. to put him infront of Rein, Drai and Ekblad is wild guessing, but I guess you are allowed to guess :)

also, still Ehlers at 15 behind guys like Montour, Letunov, Scherbak, and Kamenev...
Based on NHL trajectory, I think you are selling a few guys very short, to say the least. - to each his own.

I believe some from viewings will be more impact full than others. I like kamenev a lot. I see so many guys on board give congratulatory circle j3#k here as they essentially spout exactly what consensus list is all ready. And probably barely see players.

For example, I watch fiala in many games in Europe and I like to watch kamenev so I see him in AHL a lot, and I see him in NHL, but never 1St line good player like many predict.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Seems you all just like to use popular consensus. I watch many games of all prospect I rank. In both European league and North America. Best is best for longterm skillsets.

Good for you for going against the grain. I may not agree with your rankings but I have no issue when someone posts a list that doesn't agree with the consensus. Especially when they don't just plug their own teams' prospects but base their rankings on actual viewings of players.
One thing we know for sure. The consensus list will be wrong.
Will be interesting to review this thread in a couple of years.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I'm just wondering, what what Q records break in the QMJHL, except maybe Danish related ones. Pretty much all the big ones are held by Lemieux (282 points, 133 goals) and its not like his numbers were better than recent Q guys like Drouin. All the import records are held by Radulov I'm pretty sure. I don't agree at all with Ehlers at 15 though. He's easily top 10 in my books, and could be ranked 2nd best in the draft. He could be ranked 2nd best in the draft and I wouldn't call it blatant homerism.

Last edited:

Love

Feb 29, 2012

1. William Nylander
2. Leon Draisaitl
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Dylan Larkin
5. Sam Reinhart
6. Vladislav Kamenev
7. Jakub Vrana
8. Sam Bennett
9. Nikita Scherbak
10. Travis Sanheim
11. David Pastrnak
12. Maxim Letunov
13. Robby Fabbri
14. Brandon Montour
15. Nikolaj ehlers
16. Jared Mccann
17. MDC
18. Nick Schmaltz
19. Alex Tuch
20. Nikita Tryamkin
21. Nick ritchie
22. Brendan lemeiux
23. Haydn Fleury
24. Julius Honka
25. Christian dvorak
26. Ivan barbashev
28. Sonny milano
29. Kevin fiala
30. Julius bergman

As a Canucks find I find it cool on one hand that there are 3 of our picks on here (McCann, Tryamkin, Virtanen) but I think you missed our best draft pick of 2014: Thatcher Demko.

Unless you just didn't want to rank goalies which is understandable. Bold list overall, I must say.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As a Canucks find I find it cool on one hand that there are 3 of our picks on here (McCann, Tryamkin, Virtanen) but I think you missed our best draft pick of 2014: Thatcher Demko.

Unless you just didn't want to rank goalies which is understandable. Bold list overall, I must say.

Pretty gutsy to put Tryamkin in the top 20.
Early days, but it may not be as far fetched as it looks if he continues to play like a top 4 guy.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

Redoo

Ekblad

Reinhart
Draisaitl
(any order)

Bennett
Nylander
Ehlers
Larkin
(any order)

Pasternak
Fabbri

Dal Colle
Ritchie

Virtanen
Fleury

Probably a good list as of today.

When Bennett is on I'd put him up there with Ekblad, he was our best player for 5 to 10 games this year. Unfortunately he disappears for stretches. Hopefully we can find him a linemate this draft. Ferland just isn't good enough

Edit; The in ten years list is terrible.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

Didn't rank goalies. I don't know much about goaltending, nor do I watch goaltender prospects as closely.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I believe some from viewings will be more impact full than others. I like kamenev a lot. I see so many guys on board give congratulatory circle j3#k here as they essentially spout exactly what consensus list is all ready. And probably barely see players.

For example, I watch fiala in many games in Europe and I like to watch kamenev so I see him in AHL a lot, and I see him in NHL, but never 1St line good player like many predict.

Well, at least you stick to your opinion and give an explanation, I can live with that, I just dont agree :)
I will admit, that I am very conservative in my player predictions, and if that can be seen as a circle jerk pad on the back kind of thing, so be it. but I honestly do this based on my viewings (albeit some are limited), and I find neither Ehlers nor Nylander should be top 3.

But again, you are most definitely allowed to have those opinions.

I'm just wondering, what what Q records break in the QMJHL, except maybe Danish related ones. Pretty much all the big ones are held by Lemieux (282 points, 133 goals) and its not like his numbers were better than recent Q guys like Drouin. All the import records are held by Radulov I'm pretty sure. I don't agree at all with Ehlers at 15 though. He's easily top 10 in my books, and could be ranked 2nd best in the draft. He could be ranked 2nd best in the draft and I wouldn't call it blatant homerism.

I know there are a few where he is tied with Crosby, Radulov and the likes, like scoring streak, And I think some rookie ones. (will look it up when I get the time)

And I know there are a few more. think there is one where he actually got it.

If not, I should have clarified, that alot are ties with some biggie players, and a few were also franchise records.

I also think, (not sure), he was the youngest player to ever score in the NLA in a competitive game (16), not sure if Matthews broke that though. - You should also check out Ehlers ambidextrous abilities.

And, Willie also didnt brake any records, tied them, and was among the best.
just to clarify, I dont believe either is top 3 atm. Arguments could be made for #3 and id listen, but not #2 or #1.

I think Willie did great in SHL, but again only 21-22 games and not the same as when Forsberg played. a few players have done well at young ages in the new SHL, and not turned into superstars.

also his stint in the AHL, very impressive, but tbh, when as many of the prospects have played in the NHL, I tend to put him up against that, not his prior merrits in leagues not named NHL.

and with those criterias in mind, I definitely put Ekblad, Rein and Drai above Nylander.

I have no beef with Nylander above Ehlers, my judging is pretty biased in this regard, just like yours and thats the only reason I put him above Willie.

Its only these Willie at one and two, I just dont agree with. But hey, maybe I will eat crow in 10 years time, who knows :)

edit: most of them are franchise/ties or just below generational players like Crosby/Lemieux.

http://theqmjhl.ca/players/12468/00

Last edited:

BoLIEVE

Feb 26, 2016
Redoo

Ekblad

Reinhart
Draisaitl
(any order)

Bennett
Nylander
Ehlers
Larkin
(any order)

Pasternak
Fabbri

Dal Colle
Ritchie

Virtanen
Fleury

What have Ritchie and Dal Colle done to be above Virtanen? Virtanen may not have put up a lot of points. But he definetly picked up his game and showed progression throughout the season. It'll probably take him a couple of years to put up the numbers but he has already shown that he is a capable 3rd liner in the nhl and I highly doubt he is done progressing.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006

1. William Nylander
2. Leon Draisaitl
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Dylan Larkin
5. Sam Reinhart
6. Vladislav Kamenev
7. Jakub Vrana
8. Sam Bennett
9. Nikita Scherbak
10. Travis Sanheim
11. David Pastrnak
12. Maxim Letunov
13. Robby Fabbri
14. Brandon Montour
15. Nikolaj ehlers
16. Jared Mccann
17. MDC
18. Nick Schmaltz
19. Alex Tuch
20. Nikita Tryamkin
21. Nick ritchie
22. Brendan lemeiux
23. Haydn Fleury
24. Julius Honka
25. Christian dvorak
26. Ivan barbashev
28. Sonny milano
29. Kevin fiala
30. Julius bergman

The chances that it will go down exactly like this are slim, but I applaud you for daring to be different and stick to your guns. There are surprises in every draft and this one will be no different. Someone is going to pop out from seemingly nowhere and end up great, and someone is going to disappoint/bust. It happens every year. I think calling a list like this "terrible" means you don't really understand how unpredictable these things are. There are no terrible lists yet.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

1. William Nylander
2. Leon Draisaitl
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Dylan Larkin
5. Sam Reinhart
6. Vladislav Kamenev
7. Jakub Vrana