Status
Not open for further replies.

MPStoEberletoHall*

I've yet to see a Leafs fan have Nylander outside the top 3. Nice

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto

This thread in general is pointless to debate. We really haven't even been exposed to the potential of half the players in this draft. Leaf fans are just sticking with what they know and wanting to see out the development of their home grown player. No matter what, in order to remove bias from this thread, your rankings should leave out prospects of your own team.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Every fan base does it. There's just more of them.
I usually check which team the poster supports before reading any ranking.
Or if I'm really bored I read the ranking first and then try to guess the team he supports. :laugh:
But there are some excellent posters who are able to put their bias' aside and can give you great insight.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Aren't you always the one making the point about not everyone's a Leafs hater? Is everyone in your world biased towards the Leafs, unless they share your opinion?

It's pretty comical to think that Nylander will have the best career out of this draft class. Put him ahead of Reinhart or Draisaitl, I don't care. To say he is going to be better than an already #1 D man in Ekblad is ridiculous

MPStoEberletoHall*

This thread in general is pointless to debate. We really haven't even been exposed to the potential of half the players in this draft. Leaf fans are just sticking with what they know and wanting to see out the development of their home grown player. No matter what, in order to remove bias from this thread, your rankings should leave out prospects of your own team.

I like that idea.

Ekblad
Reinhart
Larkin
Bennett
Nylander/Ehlers

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
It's pretty comical to think that Nylander will have the best career out of this draft class. Put him ahead of Reinhart or Draisaitl, I don't care. To say he is going to be better than an already #1 D man in Ekblad is ridiculous

Nice straw man. Issue at hand is you pointing him out as biased towards the Leafs, with an opinion that disagrees with yours. I'm not sure how anyone takes you seriously anymore, to be honest.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Nice straw man. Issue at hand is you pointing him out as biased towards the Leafs, with an opinion that disagrees with yours. I'm not sure how anyone takes you seriously anymore, to be honest.

So if I disagree with him? That's a problem? I'm sure 99.5% of non-leaf fans would agree that Nylander won't be the best player out of his draft class.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

*reads OP's username* :laugh: really bro again ? Don't you have something better to do than try and stir s*** up with leaf fans ?

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Saying he's favorable to the Leafs, since he had Nylander so high, that's the ridiculous assertion you made. You don't see any issues there?

2015 redraft, McDavid at #1. Guess that means we're all secretly oilers fans now :sarcasm: Nobody takes him seriously anymore

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think it's both interesting and amusing that the two forwards being most touted at the top of the IMO interchangeable group of 7 had by far the least impressive 19 year old seasons. They're a year older and they showed it. I'd predict that at least 2/3 of Larkin/Nylander/Ehlers/Fabbri/Pastnak/Vrana surpass what Drai and Reinhart did this year.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd add Drai with 51 points in 72 games. That's a great year!
Really slowed down when Hall slowed down. As pointed out, his splits are interesting.

Last year: .24ppg
Pre All star game: .93ppg
Post all star game: .44ppg

Also factor in that both Reinhart and Draisaitl are late birthdays, giving them a leg up on the early birthday's and in particular Bennett, Virtanen, Ehlers, Fabbri, and McCann.

As for Nylander, there was a reason at one point he was viewed as the top prospect for the draft, and I believe he has answered a lot of the reasons for the slipping of his draft stock. No chance I take him over Ekblad, but I think a strong case can be made for everyone else (I'd say a strong case for 1st forward off the board can be made for Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennett, Nylander, Ehlers, Larkin and Fabbri). Even at his draft, Nylander was viewed as one of the more high risk prospects in the top 10 (along with Ehlers), but having potentially the highest offensive ceiling. I would say he has done a lot to make those question marks look a lot less risky now. Between his strong SHL performance (after not looking great in the SHL at 17), and playing at a .86 pace last year in the AHL, and playing at a 1.18 this year in the AHL show that it can transfer vs grown men. His strong start to his NHL career, with multiple multi point games playing with average to below average players (most common linemates were Parenteau, Lindberg, Hyman, Grabner and Kapanen) and favourable zone starts (65% offensive zone starts).

Nylander also played centre which out of the other top forwards was only played more often at the NHL level by Draisaitl, and possibly Bennett (was rotated between the wing and center most of the year). Every single forward prospect still has questions, but I would say Nylander has done a lot to remove the question marks which caused him to shift from a consensus top 3 prospect in late 2013, early 2014 to the 8th overall pick at the actual draft.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Really slowed down when Hall slowed down. As pointed out, his splits are interesting.

Last year: .24ppg
Pre All star game: .93ppg
Post all star game: .44ppg

Also factor in that both Reinhart and Draisaitl are late birthdays, giving them a leg up on the early birthday's and in particular Bennett, Virtanen, Ehlers, Fabbri, and McCann.

As for Nylander, there was a reason at one point he was viewed as the top prospect for the draft, and I believe he has answered a lot of the reasons for the slipping of his draft stock. No chance I take him over Ekblad, but I think a strong case can be made for everyone else (I'd say a strong case for 1st forward off the board can be made for Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennett, Nylander, Ehlers, Larkin and Fabbri). Even at his draft, Nylander was viewed as one of the more high risk prospects in the top 10 (along with Ehlers), but having potentially the highest offensive ceiling. I would say he has done a lot to make those question marks look a lot less risky now. Between his strong SHL performance (after not looking great in the SHL at 17), and playing at a .86 pace last year in the AHL, and playing at a 1.18 this year in the AHL show that it can transfer vs grown men. His strong start to his NHL career, with multiple multi point games playing with average to below average players (most common linemates were Parenteau, Lindberg, Hyman, Grabner and Kapanen) and favourable zone starts (65% offensive zone starts).

Nylander also played centre which out of the other top forwards was only played more often at the NHL level by Draisaitl, and possibly Bennett (was rotated between the wing and center most of the year). Every single forward prospect still has questions, but I would say Nylander has done a lot to remove the question marks which caused him to shift from a consensus top 3 prospect in late 2013, early 2014 to the 8th overall pick at the actual draft.

I look at the whole year. Not splits or on pace for.
For his first full year Drai had an exceptional year.
I don't think many looked at Nylander as the top prospect.
I always saw him ranked from 6th to 10th and I can see moving him up a bit.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I'd add Drai with 51 points in 72 games. That's a great year!

I'd maybe put him top 5, but I don't know why some leafs fans freak out when you say he isn't a top 3 pick in this draft

Toronto did exactly what you want to happen in a draft....... Meaning they found a player who should be drafted higher than the position they chose him in.

They dodged a Bullet not being stuck with Virtanen, Ritchie or Fleury or Dal Colle

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Entering the year he was viewed as a top 3 prospect, he slipped as the year went on. Usually I would agree, but I feel Draisaitl's numbers were driven by Taylor Hall playing like a top 10 player, then crashed back to earth after. I think there has to be some slight concern when there is such a drastic drop off.

Edit: Here, so it doesn't look like I'm making things up, here are Bob's rankings from September of 2013

http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=31165

Euro guys tend to slip if they don't get WJC exposure, which happened to Nylander, then he improved his stock by a very strong u18-WJC. His stock for the 2013-14 year was very volatile.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/8/17/4625160/2014-nhl-draft-rankings-consensus-top-30

2nd and 3rd before the season started

That he was once top three and fell because of a bad draft year splitting time between 3 teams in two leagues is not myth.

Edit, damn haha beat me to it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd maybe put him top 5, but I don't know why some leafs fans freak out when you say he isn't a top 3 pick in this draft

Toronto did exactly what you want to happen in a draft....... Meaning they found a player who should be drafted higher than the position they chose him in.

They dodged a Bullet not being stuck with Virtanen, Ritchie or Fleury or Dal Colle
I think most reasonable people realize you can slot Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennett, Nylander, Ehlers, Larkin and Fabbri in any order at this point. Its amazing how little Fabbri gets talked about in this thread. He had a great year with limited minutes on a good team.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I think most reasonable people realize you can slot Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennett, Nylander, Ehlers, Larkin and Fabbri in any order at this point. Its amazing how little Fabbri gets talked about in this thread. He had a great year with limited minutes on a good team.

Agree on most parts.

And yeah Fabbri needs more love. He is also having a strong PO so far.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Entering the year he was viewed as a top 3 prospect, he slipped as the year went on. Usually I would agree, but I feel Draisaitl's numbers were driven by Taylor Hall playing like a top 10 player, then crashed back to earth after. I think there has to be some slight concern when there is such a drastic drop off.

Edit: Here, so it doesn't look like I'm making things up, here are Bob's rankings from September of 2013

Euro guys tend to slip if they don't get WJC exposure, which happened to Nylander, then he improved his stock by a very strong u18-WJC. His stock for the 2013-14 year was very volatile.

thanks for the link. I had Nylander ranked anywhere from 6 to 10 along with a group of players just below the top tier guys so he went about where I expected, maybe just a bit lower.
As for Drai's production slipping, that would be expected for most young prospects. We may have seen the same with Nylander had he played in the NHL longer and been subject to the wear and tear of a full NHL schedule.
That's why I like to look at the whole season for new prospects who have never played a full season.
We'll get a much better read on Nylander next year. As for Drai, I've seen enough to put him in the group just below Ekblad. Over 50 points for what is his first full season is exceptional production. Especially on an Oiler's team that struggled all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille