5.Draisaitl
6.Dal Colle
7.Ehlers
8.Pastrnak
9.Larkin
10.Fiala

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I see this as a ranking of who I think will be the best player nothing else, and I do then consider what they will do internationally. That should always be a big part of how you value a player, and not just in a positive way.

It is early, and I would say it is fairly a open game between top 20.

But anyway, top 10 in my book.

Nylander
Pastrnak
Ehlers
Ekblad
Bennett
Dal Colle
Draisaitl
DeAngelo
Holmström
Fiala

HM: Honka, Forsling, Bjorkstrand, Vrana, Larkin, Fabbri, Reinhart,

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I see this as a ranking of who I think will be the best player nothing else, and I do then consider what they will do internationally. That should always be a big part of how you value a player, and not just in a positive way.

Nylander
Pastrnak
Ehlers
Ekblad
Bennett
Dal Colle
Draisaitl
DeAngelo
Holmström
Fiala

Nylander, Pastrnak and Ehlers over Ekblad? Holmstrom in the top 10?

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Nylander, Pastrnak and Ehlers over Ekblad? Holmstrom in the top 10?

Yes, I think Ekblad is overrated and very close to his peak. I hardly think he will improve much, he is just a very mature player, which off course is good for the hype, but in the end I think Nylander, Pastrnak adn Ehlers will become better players. I honetsly think I have him to high if anything, I do not see him grow as a player much more.

Holmström, it is hard to ignore a player that slaughter sedins junior rekord.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA

Nylander
Pastrnak
Ehlers
Ekblad
Bennett
Dal Colle
Draisaitl
DeAngelo
Holmström
Fiala

Holmstrom is good but I don't think he's top 10 good, especially not over reinhart. Bjorkstrand is from the 2013 draft. Pastrnak is top 10 good but I think in 5 years, he doesn't break the top 5 of this draft.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
What Holmstrom is doing right now is pretty crazy. 196th overall pick leading the SHL playoffs in points with 17 in 14 games. He has already beaten Sedin's U-19 record by 5 points, and the U-20 record by 3 points. And he's still got 1 or 2 games left to go. A couple more points and he'll crack the top 10 in playoff points in a single season of all players, ever. And he's 18 years old.

A guy like Nylander got hyped to no end for putting up close to PPG numbers with 19 minutes of ice time in the regular season, while Holmstrom is over a PPG in the playoffs with 14 minutes of ice time. Nylander had a fantastic season, dont get me wrong, this is just to put some perspective into what Holmstrom is doing right now.

The SHL is a different league than it used to be. Junior players are getting more of a chance to succeed. But its very impressive what these guys are doing nonetheless.

I definitely think Holmstrom has a future in the NHL. What that is remains to be seen, but he should be the biggest riser in the that draft at this point. If the draft was done today, I would't be surprised to see him taken somewhere in the late first round.

Last edited:

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
What Holmstrom is doing right now is pretty crazy. 196th overall pick leading the SHL playoffs in points with 17 in 14 games. He has already beaten Sedin's U-19 record by 5 points, and the U-20 record by 3 points. And he's still got 1 or 2 games left to go. A couple more points and he'll crack the top 10 in playoff points in a single season of all players, ever. And he's 18 years old.

A guy like Nylander got hyped to no end for putting up close to PPG numbers with 19 minutes of ice time in the regular season, while Holmstrom is over a PPG in the playoffs with 14 minutes of ice time. Nylander had a fantastic season, dont get me wrong, this is just to put some perspective into what Holmstrom is doing right now.

The SHL is a different league than it used to be. Junior players are getting more of a chance to succeed. But its very impressive what these guys are doing nonetheless.

I definitely think Holmstrom has a future in the NHL. What that is remains to be seen, but he should be the biggest riser in the that draft at this point. If the draft was done today, I would't be surprised to see him taken somewhere in the late first round.

I like Axel a fair bit, he's always looked good in international affairs. Definitely lacks high-end skill, I would say he's a fair bet to be a 2nd rounder if the draft was redone. Really nice find for Detroit in the 7th round, I think he has a top 9 future in the NHL.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg

So what you're saying is Detroit has done it again? ;)

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

The time on the ice argument is a double edged sword. With more ice time, you get tougher match ups. 14 minutes, to me, suggests that his ice time is sheltered

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
So what you're saying is Detroit has done it again? ;)

Its definitely looking promising :D

We'll see though. He's got a long way to go before he's there, but he has put himself on the map as a legit NHL prospect.

The time on the ice argument is a double edged sword. With more ice time, you get tougher match ups. 14 minutes, to me, suggests that his ice time is sheltered

I've only watched a couple of games so I wouldn't know for sure, but that could be part of it. I've read that he plays on the 4th line the majority of the time, and on the PP, where he's scored 7 of his 17 points.

I think that type of production is very impressive though, even if he might be getting easy minutes.

bobbyt911

IMO I say
1.Ekblad
2.mash of Nylander/Bennett/Reinhart/Ehlers/Pasternak
7.L.D
8.MDC
9.Holmstrom
10.Fiala/Larkin

I know its such a cop out at #2 but if I were to try and rank those 5 I would get a different list every time.

touchnotthecat

Dec 29, 2014
Its laughable that Virtanen isnt being mentioned at all. He hasn't shown that he is worthy of #6 overall (yet) but dropping him out of the top 10 is ridiculous.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Anaheim would still take Richie 10th. Their scouts know what they want and what they are doing.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
MDC is without a doubt the most underrated player in this draft class.

And WTF someone mentioned Gustav Firstling as an HM :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad