2014 Draft Discussion (June 27-28 in Philadelphia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I would trade down and pick Ho-Sang if he's available. He has amazing hands and playmaking vision. I believe he can play center, but mostly plays on the wing. Either way, I think he's going to be a steal. Just a very talented player.

I'd rather see if we can trade the pick + for something that helps us right now.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
You know, we have such a wealth of prospects at every position except center. I wouldn't mind this being the draft where we trade up instead of down. This is the highest we've drafted since Keith Primeau. Why not try and move up 3-4 spots and take a center.

We could probably move up high enough for McCann (8-11 range) if we really wanted to. Would probably cost us a good prospect in addition to our 1st. Not sure if McCann is worth it, is he that much better than Fabbri, Kempe, Larkin? At least one of them would be available at 15 imo.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
We could probably move up high enough for McCann (8-11 range) if we really wanted to. Would probably cost us a good prospect in addition to our 1st. Not sure if McCann is worth it, is he that much better than Fabbri, Kempe, Larkin? At least one of them would be available at 15 imo.

McCann has all the tools to succeed in the NHL, he just had a really disappointing season or he would be in the top 5 discussion. He is a fantastic skater with an excellent shot. He is a good two-way player with a high motor, which really makes his struggles puzzling.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

fabbri, maybe not. larkin, only saw him at U-18s so can't really say. kempe, i say yes.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
McCann has all the tools to succeed in the NHL, he just had a really disappointing season or he would be in the top 5 discussion. He is a fantastic skater with an excellent shot. He is a good two-way player with a high motor, which really makes his struggles puzzling.

How would you say his upside compares to the other centers outside of Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl and Nylander?

I don't catch many games at that level but I've heard some say that he's a safe pick with more limited upside, like a Horvat -- 2nd line, two way center at best. If that's a fair assessment, do we gamble on a guy like Fabbri if he falls?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
How would you say his upside compares to the other centers outside of Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl and Nylander?

I don't catch many games at that level but I've heard some say that he's a safe pick with more limited upside, like a Horvat -- 2nd line, two way center at best. If that's a fair assessment, do we gamble on a guy like Fabbri if he falls?

2nd line center is probably his upside, though I like his offensive game more than Horvat's. Horvat will probably be better defensively though. I would take a flyer on Fabbri if he is available, he is Zetterberg like in that he always seems to be on the puck. I'm not afraid of drafting a 5'10 player like some posters here are. Robby Fabbri has a higher bust factor than McCann though. He is a boom or bust kind of guy that I think could be a 1C if he does boom.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

I agree, I like McCann but I don't think Fabbri, Larkin, and Kempe are that far off. Would you rather have one of those three or McCann and lose a Pulkkinen or Sproul type prospect? Then again, the draft can be highly unpredictable at times...watch McCann just fall into our laps....In all seriousness tho I'll be a little surprised if Carolina passes on him at 7.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
What's interesting to me is that most mocks this year only have one or two defensemen taken in the top 15 and only three or four in the entire first round. Since the 05 lockout, the lowest number of defenseman taken in the 1st round has been 7, and most years seem to range between 10-12. Unless this is the weakest year defensively in many years, someone's really going to luck out here (or things might play out differently than expected and we find high-end forwards dropping like Teravainen did).

It's a shame we need center depth because I think a year like this is a great opportunity to snag a future #1 or #2 defenseman.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
What's interesting to me is that most mocks this year only have one or two defensemen taken in the top 15 and only three or four in the entire first round. Since the 05 lockout, the lowest number of defenseman taken in the 1st round has been 7, and most years seem to range between 10-12. Unless this is the weakest year defensively in many years, someone's really going to luck out here (or things might play out differently than expected and we find high-end forwards dropping like Teravainen did).

It's a shame we need center depth because I think a year like this is a great opportunity to snag a future #1 or #2 defenseman.

if there's future #1 dman available at where we pick, you take him.

that's my take. no guarantee that those centers available are saviors. center depth can be fixed fairly easily, #1 centers can't. it's safer bet to take the best player, even if it's overloading on D or W and then trade from position of strength to weakness to acquire that #1 C.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think there's a good reason for it.

Which guy do you think has #1 or #2 potential?

Roland Mckeown is a guy that intrigues me, but I think this is a weak draft for defenseman compared to most years.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I think there's a good reason for it.

Which guy do you think has #1 or #2 potential?

Roland Mckeown is a guy that intrigues me, but I think this is a weak draft for defenseman compared to most years.

I don't know personally - it's entirely possible that this is a weak year for defensemen.

But I think if only a handful of defensemen are going in the 1st round, it's likely there's going to be someone out there who well outperforms their draft position. Especially given how historically defensemen seem more difficult to project.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Moving up 2-3 spots in the draft usually doesn't cost too much. Just a few picks.

Without our 2nd round pick it makes it much more difficult. Might be able to move up a spot or two for a 3rd if you're lucky....But consider last year...San Jose had to give us their 2nd to move up from 20 to 18. Price will be even higher if your moving up from 15 to 12, 13ish.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Without our 2nd round pick it makes it much more difficult. Might be able to move up a spot or two for a 3rd if you're lucky....But consider last year...San Jose had to give us their 2nd to move up from 20 to 18. Price will be even higher if your moving up from 15 to 12, 13ish.

That's why it makes sense to trade with Stl. and acquire their 21 and 33 for our 15th. I don't see a 1C lasting til 15th and I think after the first 10-12 picks the order can go just about in any direction. With that 33 pick we could acquire someone like Travis Sanheim/Ryan MacInnis/Jack Dougherty/Jack Glover tons of talent in that area that stick out to me. In the 21st spot we target Scherbak/Kempe/Ho-Sang. All this is assuming someone big on our list doesn't slip to 15.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I think around 75% of mocks on HF have the Wings taking Kempe at 15. I really can't see them taking Kempe unless they trade down into the 20s, where I think he will still be available. Way to many guys with higher upsides to justify Kempe at 15.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't know how it makes sense for STL to give up the 21 and 33 spot for the 15th.

Seems like a rip off from their perspective.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I don't know how it makes sense for STL to give up the 21 and 33 spot for the 15th.

They would have to really like a player that is available at 15 and not think he would be available at 21. Also, they would likely receive our third round pick as well.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
That's why it makes sense to trade with Stl. and acquire their 21 and 33 for our 15th. I don't see a 1C lasting til 15th and I think after the first 10-12 picks the order can go just about in any direction. With that 33 pick we could acquire someone like Travis Sanheim/Ryan MacInnis/Jack Dougherty/Jack Glover tons of talent in that area that stick out to me. In the 21st spot we target Scherbak/Kempe/Ho-Sang. All this is assuming someone big on our list doesn't slip to 15.

Can't just assume STL is interested in doing that trade. I would bet they aren't since they kinda need to supply their farm system with some more talent. Who would they be so in love with to make that deal? We don't have to take a center, it would be nice to get one but you can't draft strictly on need.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

well it would only be if a player the want is available at 15 but they think wont be at 21

the blues could probably use a dman and at 21 the best will be all gone but at 15 they may get one of the top 2 or 3 in the draft

for us i could see the desire to slide back and regain our 2nd

i suspect we have 4-8 guys all ranked about the same

and unless we're picking in the top 10 i would rather the 21sta nd 33rd overall best players then the 15th, just to increase the odds in our favour

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Can't just assume STL is interested in doing that trade. I would bet they aren't since they kinda need to supply their farm system with some more talent. Who would they be so in love with to make that deal? We don't have to take a center, it would be nice to get one but you can't draft strictly on need.

You could find someone in the 20-25 range trade with them plus their 2015 second rounder. In this draft I'm sure you will find someone like SJ that trades up a few spots to acquire "their" guy.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
You could find someone in the 20-25 range trade with them plus their 2015 second rounder. In this draft I'm sure you will find someone like SJ that trades up a few spots to acquire "their" guy.

For what reason though? We have tons of depth in our system. We don't really need to concern ourselves with gaining extra picks, especially in a draft that lacks depth. We don't even have spots for all our prospects as is. IMO we should either try to move up or just stay put and take whoever the scouting department likes the most. I truly believe a quality center prospect will be available at 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad