2014 Draft Discussion (June 27-28 in Philadelphia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think it's once again a safe bet for the Wings to draft from 16-24, so let's talk about prospects that could fall into that range.

Using this ranking, for example: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-releases-december-ranking-for-2014-nhl-draft/

Vrana, Kempe, and Schmaltz sound nice for obvious reasons (and Karlsson because Swedish), but I was intrigued by the writeup for this guy, Dylan Larkin:

Larkin has shown he can be an elite-level power forward in addition to showing a high level of offensive ability. His ability to take the puck hard to the net allows for unique scoring chances most players would not be able get because of a lack of size and strength.
He's a center too, or at least that's what it says. What do you guys think? Maybe too close to a Sheahan-type rather than a skill guy? It does say he shows a high level of offensive ability...

Of course, what they REALLY should do is trade up and get Dal Colle. but we all know how it works around here with Ken Holland and the "T" word.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Sonny Milano's name pops up in that range as well...worth a look. Demko is there in the middle of that round but I think you have to think forward at that spot.

The defense depth in the system is there and I think they need continue cultivating the next Hank and Pavel. It would be great to grab another Mantha-type in that spot and cultivate more goal-scorers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Never have visited this site before, thanks for sharing.

Well this kid at #21 sounds like a no brainer.

21). RW David Pastrnak, Sodertalje (Allsvenskan), 6-0, 170
Pasternak is a flashy, electrifying offensive talent with gifted hands and shiftiness in his feet. He also has a bullet shot and is a very dangerous finisher. He uses quickness and good lateral elusiveness to avoid bigger opponents. (August 2013)

http://futureconsiderations.ca/playerprofiler/David-Pastrnak/

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seems like a lot of folks want a power forward.

This kid seems to fit the bill (Adrian Kempe)
Kempe is a strong, bullish forward that has size, strength and a work ethic to match. He can be tenacious on the forecheck and never misses finishing a check. He has a heavy shot and isn't shy to drive towards the net. (August 2013)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Seems like a lot of folks want a power forward.
Yep. This is from a chat with Craig Button:

"Hello Craig, is there anyone on the horizon that could be considered the "next great Canadian power forward" in the mold of a Lindros, Neely, Iginla, etc. (I know it's tough to project long term, just want your opinion). Thank you."
"Great is hard to identify. In this year's draft, I really like Kerby Rychel as a power forward prospect but I don't see anybody in the category of Lindros, Neely and Iginla in this year's draft. Going forward, I would suggest that Michael Del Colle in Oshawa could be that player. Time will tell."
Of course, it's never gonna happen. I should give up while I still can.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Adrian Kempe is basically perfect for our prospect pool.

I can't imagine him not going top 15, though.

Phil18

Jul 13, 2013
Montréal
I would like to have barbashev but it would surprise me if Wings would draft him since he is a top 15-10 but the kid is a LW playmaker could fit with Mantha in the future !

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Dal Colle is probably gonna go top 5 so basically no chance for wings to draft him

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Trade down and pick up Jack Glover.

Glover is an impressive two-way defenseman who has good overall mobility. He's always aware in all three zones and defends with a physical edge, using his frame to separate pucks and size to clear the crease. He moves the puck well and has a good outlet pass. (August 2013)

and maybe with that additional pick you can also get Jakub Vrana:

Vrana is a strong skater with a good first step and lateral quickness. He handles the puck with confident and creative hands. A good wrist shot with a deceptive release help him offensively, as does his natural vision and passing ability. (August 2013)

Git er done Kenneh.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maxim Letunov - 6'2" 155 lbs

This kid seems like the prototypical "undersized project" but skilled guy the Wings like to go for.
Letunov is a skilled forward with slick hands, a hard wrist shot who makes crisp, accurate passes. Uses his frame to protect the puck but can get pushed off by stronger opponents. Flashes some gritty play and willingness to play a defensive responsible game but does not do so consistently. Has to add substantial strength and correct some issues in his mobility. (November 2013)

Just committed to Boston University, so should have time to put on some weight. Seems like he could be a pretty good mid-round steal. Him or a guy like Ho-Sang perhaps

http://futureconsiderations.ca/playerprofiler/Maxim-Letunov/

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Dylan Larkin Center Lefty - Ranked 18
6-1 190lbs

"Larkin has shown he can be an elite-level power forward in addition to showing a high level of offensive ability. His ability to take the puck hard to the net allows for unique scoring chances most players would not be able get because of a lack of size and strength."

Would be another I would look at on top of Karlsson, Kempe, and Pastrnak.

I don't know if they did a typo or what but on his page he is listed as a center but on the first page he is a defenseman.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Never have visited this site before, thanks for sharing.

Well this kid at #21 sounds like a no brainer.

21). RW David Pastrnak, Sodertalje (Allsvenskan), 6-0, 170

http://futureconsiderations.ca/playerprofiler/David-Pastrnak/
He'd be an absolute steal at #21, easily a top 10 talent (in this years draft). He's been on a little bit of a cold streak recently but his numbers are still great (6+9 in 24games, leads Sodertalje in scoring).

For comparison last years #23 pick Andre Burakovsky had 11pts in 43 games, 2013 #14 overall pick Alexander Wennberg had 32 in 46, Pastrnak is 8 months younger than Wennberg was in his draft year and he's on a similiar pace. Since this is considered a much weaker draft than last years I don't really understand why they have him at #21, most people had him at 25-ish before the season so a bump of 4 spots seems a little low considering how well he's been playing.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He'd be an absolute steal at #21, easily a top 10 talent (in this years draft). He's been on a little bit of a cold streak recently but his numbers are still great (6+9 in 24games, leads Sodertalje in scoring).

For comparison last years #23 pick Andre Burakovsky had 11pts in 43 games, 2013 #14 overall pick Alexander Wennberg had 32 in 46, Pastrnak is 8 months younger than Wennberg was in his draft year and he's on a similiar pace. Since this is considered a much weaker draft than last years I don't really understand why they have him at #21, most people had him at 25-ish before the season so a bump of 4 spots seems a little low considering how well he's been playing.

Burakovsky seemed like a pretty good comparison from last years draft. If the guy ends up going in the 20-30 range I'd love to have him.

Where do you think he's ranked right now? Where do you think he'll end up going?

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Burakovsky seemed like a pretty good comparison from last years draft. If the guy ends up going in the 20-30 range I'd love to have him.

Where do you think he's ranked right now? Where do you think he'll end up going?
Im no expert but I think 12-15 is about right, I really dont see him falling out of the top 15, possibly even top 10 if he continues his pace. He's not very good defensively which could make him fall.

Adrian Kempe is basically perfect for our prospect pool.

I can't imagine him not going top 15, though.

Also a guy I really like, agree with him going top 15.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Im no expert but I think 12-15 is about right, I really dont see him falling out of the top 15 if he continues his pace.

Also a guy I really like, agree with him going top 15.

If Mantha can drop out of the top 15, I don't think we can say it's impossible these guys do too.

But I value your insight nonetheless.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Really like what I have read about USNDP player Alex Tuch.

He's outproducing Larkin. He's already 6'3" 220lbs. 18G+16A in 25 games.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'd want a center or power forward but given our likely draft position all the good ones will be taken up by then. Plus I have no idea how good the wings our on developing power forwards.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Really would love to see the Wings try and move up to get a real good center prospect. IMO we can afford to surrender some extra picks to move up considering the overall depth we have in our system right now. I really like Jared McCann, would be ecstatic to land him. Also really like Sam Bennett. Adrian Kempe would be another solid choice if we can't move up high enough to get McCann or Bennett. All three of those prospects are really good two way players who play with some grit and tenacity.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Found this on him

http://www.usantdp.com/roster_players/1823407

It only lists him as a forward any idea what he can play and where he is expected in the draft?

Trying to find positions, eliteprospects lists him as a C/RW, and a mock draft I found lists him as a RW.

As for where he is expected to go, I see one mock draft having him as high as #20, others seem to not even have him in the top 30.

Wayne Crosby

Jan 28, 2013
been saying this for a while now, we should trade up to get Leon Draisatl

6'2, versatile offensively gifted center who can also play wing? yes please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->