2014 Draft Discussion (June 27-28 in Philadelphia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
After seeing Fabbri the past couple days I would be more than happy with drafting him. Kid has unreal talent, tons of confidence and his game is quite refined for such a young player. His size just isn't an issue at all imo. He'll probably get up to 5-11 anyway when all is said and done. Kid absolutely reminds me of Claude Giroux.

You should have seen him against London in their 5 game OHL playoff series. He absolutely lit them up and was relentless with his offensive pressure. I'm dreading seeing him again tonight.

He has a very rare combination of skills and offensive instinct that enable him to attack the opposition goal.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
trade back for a 2nd. Draft Dysin Mayo.

Mayo to Tatar! The condiment connection. Maybe even bring Steve Heinze out of retirement.

I think we could snag him in the 3rd round and that would be a good steal. I don't know why but a lot of people prefer Aaron Irving over him.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I am 75% confident we will trade with St. Louis

our 15th overall for their 21st and 33rd

just screams ken holland draft day move

That it does, but I'm personally at the point where I'd like to see quality over quantity.

Seems like we have a lot of young talent and not enough roster spots for it all. If we're adding more draft picks into the mix, I'd hope that we consolidate some of our existing talent for an upgrade. Otherwise I'd want to hang on to 15 and swing for the fences.

In order of organizational importance / priority:

Centers
Sheahan
Janmark
Helm(27 years old)
Glendening (4th line)
Nestrasil(??)

This is my biggest concern for our organization. We have two world-class players getting up there in age and no clear replacement for the #1 job. Not to mention depth down the middle has been the cornerstone of our success for 20+ years. Centers seem to have an easier time converting to the wing than vice versa, so I'd really hope we go after Fabbri, McCann, Barbashev, Kempe... The clock is ticking and I hope we exercise more foresight with the eventual departures of Dats and Z than we did with Lidstrom.

Defensemen
DeKeyser
Smith
Backman
Marchenko
Oullet
Sproul
Almqvist
Jensen

Admittedly we have a lot of young defensemen. But many of them are 2nd and 3rd pairing types from the sound of it, but no true #1 to replace Kronwall. I'd be okay picking up Sanheim or someone and hoping that we end up with a lesser Weber/Subban situation where he exceeds all expectations and becomes a #1. IMO the odds of finding a #1 defenseman are much better than finding a #1 C past the mid-first round. Especially with how only a few defensemen have been ranked highly this year, I have to think someone's going to find a gem in the late 1st or 2nd. I have trouble believing there are only 3 defensemen in the world with a 95-96 birthday who are worth a 1st round pick (according to some scouting reports).

Alternatively, package some of the guys listed above and see if you can find a young defenseman with at least #2 upside. Or rehabilitate Sproul Clockwork Orange style with hundreds of hours of Shea Weber game tape.

Wingers
Mantha
Nyquist
Jurco
Tatar
Pulkkinen
AA
Callahan
Glendening
Ferraro
Nastasuik

I just don't see the need for more wingers currently. We have a lot of talent on the wings currently, which is certainly not a bad thing, but can potentially become one as we've seen with teams who are built heavily through the wings. All recent cup winners have strength up the middle and on the blue line, while wing seems more of a bonus to me once the other pieces are in place. I'm feeling pretty good about this position currently and hoping we avoid it for now, unless our scouts decide that a guy like Scherbak simply has too much upside to pass on.

*I don't know much about goalies or why we'd want to draft one highly at the present, with how Mrazek seems to be turning out.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
That it does, but I'm personally at the point where I'd like to see quality over quantity.

Seems like we have a lot of young talent and not enough roster spots for it all. If we're adding more draft picks into the mix, I'd hope that we consolidate some of our existing talent for an upgrade. Otherwise I'd want to hang on to 15 and swing for the fences.

In order of organizational importance / priority:

Centers
Sheahan
Janmark
Helm(27 years old)
Glendening (4th line)
Nestrasil(??)

This is my biggest concern for our organization. We have two world-class players getting up there in age and no clear replacement for the #1 job. Not to mention depth down the middle has been the cornerstone of our success for 20+ years. Centers seem to have an easier time converting to the wing than vice versa, so I'd really hope we go after Fabbri, McCann, Barbashev, Kempe... The clock is ticking and I hope we exercise more foresight with the eventual departures of Dats and Z than we did with Lidstrom.

Defensemen
DeKeyser
Smith
Backman
Marchenko
Oullet
Sproul
Almqvist
Jensen

Admittedly we have a lot of young defensemen. But many of them are 2nd and 3rd pairing types from the sound of it, but no true #1 to replace Kronwall. I'd be okay picking up Sanheim or someone and hoping that we end up with a lesser Weber/Subban situation where he exceeds all expectations and becomes a #1. IMO the odds of finding a #1 defenseman are much better than finding a #1 C past the mid-first round. Especially with how only a few defensemen have been ranked highly this year, I have to think someone's going to find a gem in the late 1st or 2nd. I have trouble believing there are only 3 defensemen in the world with a 95-96 birthday who are worth a 1st round pick (according to some scouting reports).

Alternatively, package some of the guys listed above and see if you can find a young defenseman with at least #2 upside. Or rehabilitate Sproul Clockwork Orange style with hundreds of hours of Shea Weber game tape.

Wingers
Mantha
Nyquist
Jurco
Tatar
Pulkkinen
AA
Callahan
Glendening
Ferraro
Nastasuik

I just don't see the need for more wingers currently. We have a lot of talent on the wings currently, which is certainly not a bad thing, but can potentially become one as we've seen with teams who are built heavily through the wings. All recent cup winners have strength up the middle and on the blue line, while wing seems more of a bonus to me once the other pieces are in place. I'm feeling pretty good about this position currently and hoping we avoid it for now, unless our scouts decide that a guy like Scherbak simply has too much upside to pass on.

*I don't know much about goalies or why we'd want to draft one highly at the present, with how Mrazek seems to be turning out.

I agree with most/if not all of it.

Problem is, unless the Wings are trading up, they have to get lucky to draft a top talent, and theyve done it before. If they trade back, another name to toss into the hat is MacInnis. Large center who needs to develop, but the talent is there.

I'm all over the place on who and what I want outta this draft. I know they will take a goalie, probably in the later rounds. Also hope they get a 2nd this year, maybe 2.

I'd really like to see Holland move some players at the draft for picks, then maybe package them for a better pick(probably not a first). Re-stock on picks this year and next to sumpliment the talent that moves up.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I am 75% confident we will trade with St. Louis

our 15th overall for their 21st and 33rd

just screams ken holland draft day move

You and I both know it isn't often we agree on something. But I agree with you 100% that there's a very good chance of this happening.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
You and I both know it isn't often we agree on something. But I agree with you 100% that there's a very good chance of this happening.

For once I'm hoping we don't trade back. We'll be picking at 14, technically 15th, and we really need quality not quantity. This is the highest we've picked in recent memory and while this draft lacks the normal high end franchise changing players we've seen in recent drafts but there are still some home run picks in this draft. If Someone like Fabbri, Nylander, or Perlini are there I think you've got to take them.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
For once I'm hoping we don't trade back. We'll be picking at 14, technically 15th, and we really need quality not quantity. This is the highest we've picked in recent memory and while this draft lacks the normal high end franchise changing players we've seen in recent drafts but there are still some home run picks in this draft. If Someone like Fabbri, Nylander, or Perlini are there I think you've got to take them.

I've been thinking about the St. Louis swap quite a bit and I'm still not sure what I want to do. I made a list of some of the best (or at least promising) talent in my opinion to come out of the late 1st and 2nd round between 2006 and now (too early to judge 2013). I may have overlooked a few players.

Mid - Late 1st
15 - Karlsson
16 - Tarasenko
16 - Leddy
17 - Hertl
17 - Gardiner
18 - Teravainen
19 - Bjugstad
19 - Kreider
20 - Laughton
20 - Mantha
21 - Maatta
---
22 - Eberle
22 - Pacioretty
22 - Giroux
25 - Berglund
24 - Backlund
26 - Kuznetsov
27 - Carlson
28 - Coyle

2nd Round
33 - ROR
35 - Jurco
38 - Chiasson
37 - Faulk
37 - Jenner
38 - Josi
39 - Silfverberg
43 - Subban
43 - Saad
50 - Lucic
51 - Stephan
54 - Anisimov
55 - Orlov
53 - Hamonic
58 - Kucherov
60 - Tatar

It's a bit of a crapshoot, but there is talent to be found. Is moving down six spots worth the gamble of finding a gem in the 2nd? I don't know personally and maybe only hindsight will tell.

My main concern is addressing our center depth, and if our scouting is deserving of their reputation, then I trust they will make the right choice.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

We are drafting 15th. We technically finished 16th, but due to NJ getting punted to the end of the 1st round, we move up one spot.

If a top center falls to the Wings, I hope they pick the center. If not then I'd love to them to basically get 2 first for their first. I doubt Stl would deal the 21st and 33rd for the 15th though. That's a really high price to pay. I'd imagine it would have to at least be the Wings 1st and 3rd or 4th to get that kind of deal. I guess it will depend if there is someone there at that St. Louis really likes.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
We are drafting 15th. We technically finished 16th, but due to NJ getting punted to the end of the 1st round, we move up one spot.

If a top center falls to the Wings, I hope they pick the center. If not then I'd love to them to basically get 2 first for their first. I doubt Stl would deal the 21st and 33rd for the 15th though. That's a really high price to pay. I'd imagine it would have to at least be the Wings 1st and 3rd or 4th to get that kind of deal. I guess it will depend if there is someone there at that St. Louis really likes.

yah most likely

just basing it off san jose giving up a 2nd to move up two spots last year

whats the price to move up six spots?

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
yah most likely

just basing it off san jose giving up a 2nd to move up two spots last year

whats the price to move up six spots?

In what is supposed to be a "weak" draft, I'd say the 33rd is a fair price to move up six spots. That's a fairly large jump.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
it depends where you move from.

that st. louis deal is about fair value when looking at past deals.

I only know of one NHL draft pick value chart. I don't know how accurate it is, but the STL deal is very close to fair value according to it.

I am not sure how I feel about a trade-down this year. Has anyone described this as a draft class with great depth?

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
I only know of one NHL draft pick value chart. I don't know how accurate it is, but the STL deal is very close to fair value according to it.

I am not sure how I feel about a trade-down this year. Has anyone described this as a draft class with great depth?

I can't think of anyone who has described it as having great depth.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
it doesn't have as much high end players. there is the big guys that we ain't gonna get. then about 15 pretty good ones. then it's pretty even, some good flyers are available in 2nd round. like every draft.

not as good as last years or next years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just pulled that trade off in the mock draft section curious as to who will be available at both positions.

I know that we need centers.

But Nikita Scherbak and Roland Mckeown would be a crazy haul with those two picks.

Or maybe Ho Sang, Schmaltz, or Barbashev. All are projected around 20-30.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
They shouldn't have had to even consider trading down if they didn't make the stupid Legwand trade, now they probably feel obligated to trade down to have all 7 picks... quantity over quality = KH motto.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
They shouldn't have had to even consider trading down if they didn't make the stupid Legwand trade, now they probably feel obligated to trade down to have all 7 picks... quantity over quality = KH motto.

As if keeping our 2nd would stop Kenny from trading down. We'd just be picking twice in the second, and our second round picks have been decent as of late.

The more I think about it though, the more the value seems fair to me. But if he doesn't manage to draft a center with either pick, I've lost all faith the man.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I know that we need centers.

But Nikita Scherbak and Roland Mckeown would be a crazy haul with those two picks.

Or maybe Ho Sang, Schmaltz, or Barbashev. All are projected around 20-30.
I don't think Mckeown will last til 33 but that would be really nice.
I can't remember where I found the original quote, but it was Scherbak's coach saying that he could play center. This is a reference to the comment, but not the original quote

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=696364

Struch is his coach.
He is one of my favorite prospects in the entire draft.

The 2nd doesn't hurt me nearly as much as Jarnkrok.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
You know, we have such a wealth of prospects at every position except center. I wouldn't mind this being the draft where we trade up instead of down. This is the highest we've drafted since Keith Primeau. Why not try and move up 3-4 spots and take a center.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I would trade down and pick Ho-Sang if he's available. He has amazing hands and playmaking vision. I believe he can play center, but mostly plays on the wing. Either way, I think he's going to be a steal. Just a very talented player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad