2014 Draft Discussion (June 27-28 in Philadelphia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You could find someone in the 20-25 range trade with them plus their 2015 second rounder. In this draft I'm sure you will find someone like SJ that trades up a few spots to acquire "their" guy.

I'm quite sure Holland trades down again and gets back an extra 2nd rounder he lost in Legwand-trade.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't know how it makes sense for STL to give up the 21 and 33 spot for the 15th.

Seems like a rip off from their perspective.

based on past draft pick trades, it's pretty fair value from both sides.

that's another thing if they are willing to do that though. they might have guy ranked 10th on their draft board that is projected to go in the 2nd round and is almost surely available at #21.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
based on past draft pick trades, it's pretty fair value from both sides.

that's another thing if they are willing to do that though. they might have guy ranked 10th on their draft board that is projected to go in the 2nd round and is almost surely available at #21.

I would hate that trade if I was a Blues fan.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ha not quite. Alex Pieterangelo is one of my favorite non-Wings.

Not many D that I would take over him.

Last edited by a moderator:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ha not quite. Alex Pieterangelo is one of my favorite non-Wings.

Not many D that I would take over him.

oh yeah. maybe no D reminds lidström more than he does. OEL (needs some polishing) and suter come close too.

he's up there for sure though i have yet to see him perform at the level that likes of doughty and keith can. especially doughty. my only knock on him is that he's too confident at times. and he can't QB the pp. wouldn't hurt pietrangelo if he could improve his mobility a bit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
oh yeah. maybe no D reminds lidström more than he does. OEL (needs some polishing) and suter come close too.

he's up there for sure though i have yet to see him perform at the level that likes of doughty and keith can. especially doughty. my only knock on him is that he's too confident at times. and he can't QB the pp. wouldn't hurt pietrangelo if he could improve his mobility a bit.

Doughty's a beast.

Id take Pieterangelo over Keith. Keith has the benefit of playing on an offensive juggernaut.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Doughty's a beast.

Id take Pieterangelo over Keith. Keith has the benefit of playing on an offensive juggernaut.

i'd argue that very big reason they are offensive juggernaut, is duncan keith.

i'd take A-pie over him too bc of age difference. pietrangelo is still younger than smith and only few months older than dekeyser. he'll improve still.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
i'd argue that very big reason they are offensive juggernaut, is duncan keith.

i'd take A-pie over him too bc of age difference. pietrangelo is still younger than smith and only few months older than dekeyser. he'll improve still.

I prefer two way D over offensive D.

I think the best two way guys are the same pretty much every year.

If you go on the main board and look at all the top 10 lists, it's just what offensive defenseman are having big years point-wise.

I'd take Pieterangelo, Suter, Weber, Chara over the lot of them. Those guys are all equally as good defensively IMO. They'd be my Norris nominees most every year. Though Chara's D is slipping a bit the older he gets.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
yeah chara's play fell off against boston last year. hawks ate him alive. similar thing with habs too though he had that finger injury. if he falls off, boston days as elite team might be over unless dougie jumps into elite player sooner. showed flashes of it at playoffs.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
This year will be interesting at the draft I believe. First year with new head guy. Last year I wouldn't be stunned if it was mainly Nill's picks that he didn't scoop up with Dallas. I hope they start to target centers this year hard we need them. Not that I am a scout or anything but I was kinda shocked at how off the board our picks where. I wonder if that will stay true on the non Hakaan Anderson picks. I have no level of expectation for who we grab but I feel we need to pick up at least 2-3 center prospects unless we sign the FA from Russia who idolizes Pavs. I believe it will suck however given that c-bus and Dallas are right before us though this year it wouldn't suprise me if we tried to move up 3 spots or so in the first round cause based on both those teams needs any highly touted center that falls a bit this year would get scooped up before we get to select one.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I have not been following the news lately, but why is Ho-Sang being ranked low? Watched this kid a few times and he's amazing, he has some serious speed and set of skills and it would be absurd if he's not top-20.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I have not been following the news lately, but why is Ho-Sang being ranked low? Watched this kid a few times and he's amazing, he has some serious speed and set of skills and it would be absurd if he's not top-20.
Character concerns, I think. Last year and early on this year there was a lot made of his million dollar hands and ten cent head. Lots of comments that he's selfish with the puck, not really a team player, etc. He seems to have made up some ground there, but not enough to get back to where he was. He's also been good, but not as good as he could be. Some concerns about his overall potential. I dunno if you guys remember, but Athanasiou had a lot of those same criticisms.

At one point, it was Ho-Sang and McDavid as the next big things. Now, he might be a late first rounder. It's been a helluva tumble.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Character concerns, I think. Last year and early on this year there was a lot made of his million dollar hands and ten cent head. Lots of comments that he's selfish with the puck, not really a team player, etc. He seems to have made up some ground there, but not enough to get back to where he was. He's also been good, but not as good as he could be. Some concerns about his overall potential.

At one point, it was Ho-Sang and McDavid as the next big things. Now, he might be a late first rounder.

With the hands and speed he has, I would gamble at number 15.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not a huge Ho-Sang fan, see a shorter and yes actually slower Athanasiou, has a little better hands, but basically the discussion and worries we have on Athanasiou drop them on a first round pick and put in size question marks..... In my opinion Ho-Sang doesn't use his teammates nearly as well as he should, especially for being lauded for his hockey sense by many of his bigger fans.

I could turn out wrong, I just have never really understood the fascination with this kid. I don't think he is going to be awful, if I had to think of an NHL comparison a faster Versteeg maybe. I mean I just don't see it, I will root for him and in my opinion we are a good fit because I think he needs a lot of work and patience from whatever team drafts him.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Not a huge Ho-Sang fan, see a shorter and yes actually slower Athanasiou. In my opinion Ho-Sang doesn't use his teammates nearly as well as he should, especially for being lauded for his hockey sense by many of his bigger fans.

I could turn out wrong, I just have never really understood the fascination with this kid. I don't think he is going to be awful, if I had to think of an NHL comparison a faster Versteeg maybe. I mean I just don't see it, I will root for him and in my opinion we are a good fit because I think he needs a lot of work and patience from whatever team drafts him.

versteeg is probably pretty good comparison. not the best set of physical tools, not a stud defensively, thinks he's patrick kane when he's really not.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I like Ho-Sang's game, but I just don't see room for a undersized dangling perimeter winger on the Wings. We've already got a guy in that mold in Nyquist. Especially since the Wings are trying to get away from that style a bit.

Now if he could play C it might be a different conversation. and if we're going after a high-skill guy to convert to C, we might consider Jakub Vrana since they're ranked about the same and he's trending upward. He's also bigger and doesn't have any character knocks. Guy had a huge U-18 and is a bit underrated by most agencies in my opinion. ISS has Ho-Sang at 18 and Vrana at 21.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not a huge Ho-Sang fan, see a shorter and yes actually slower Athanasiou, has a little better hands, but basically the discussion and worries we have on Athanasiou drop them on a first round pick and put in size question marks..... In my opinion Ho-Sang doesn't use his teammates nearly as well as he should, especially for being lauded for his hockey sense by many of his bigger fans.

I watched a lot of video and highlights of Rychel last year, and Ho-Sang caught my eye a ton.

He is selfish at times, but I saw a lot of nice passing from him when he's in that mode.

I like him a lot to be honest. Lot of talent and ability. I think he could be coached and molded to be a very good player.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I watched a lot of video and highlights of Rychel last year, and Ho-Sang caught my eye a ton.

He is selfish at times, but I saw a lot of nice passing from him when he's in that mode.

I like him a lot to be honest. Lot of talent and ability. I think he could be coached and molded to be a very good player.

I am just not a big fan, I have questions about him.

But to be fair I am not throwing my beer at the screen then downing a couple if we wind up with him. I would send him for a couple straight years of junior and beg Windsor to play him at center or centre there and tell him to start packing on the pounds.

They can do worse, but he isn't a guy I am super high on, then again I am not high on much in this draft, I think it is down year and what we are going to do is talk ourselves into liking some of these guys. In ten years I think we look back on this draft and just realize it wasn't very good. We will see, didn't feel much different about 2012 but the D-man are starting to make that look wrong but we will see. Haven't been super high on either year even extending to the top tier talents. We will see who goes one, but would have taken both Murray and Gally over Nail if Reinhart goes #1 this year (looking less likely) he also wouldn't be one of my top picks either.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I'm with you there. I posted a couple pages back that we should trade down and snag him if he's really projected to fall to the 25 range.

Detroit can afford to gamble on a guy like Ho-Sang right now. He's incredibly talented with the puck.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Same here. I just can't see this as a draft where teams are willing to trade up in the teens. The talent level from 15 to 25 is about the same.

Same can be said at about every draft, honestly. Teams that trade up, get their "guy". The Wing's don't draft like that, so gaining an extra pick to move down suits them.

I agree with the talent level in this area, so if you can trade back and still get a good player+ then it's worth it.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
Same can be said at about every draft, honestly. Teams that trade up, get their "guy". The Wing's don't draft like that, so gaining an extra pick to move down suits them.

I agree with the talent level in this area, so if you can trade back and still get a good player+ then it's worth it.

I wouldn't say that, it's always been abundantly apparent that if the Wings feel like a player is about to go, that they really want, they'll draft them.

It's just that because the Wings usually finish so high in the standings, all the players they really want aren't available or aren't about to be picked, so they trade down.

They didn't wait around and pick Bertuzzi, he was a clear target for them and they didn't think he would be available in the third.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad