Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part II* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 1/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Skjei wants a title as a Gopher. He'll base his decision on how good a team they'll be next year.

If they bow out early he's likely gone. If they win a title, he's gone.

They can almost guarantee him the 3rd pairing LHD if Staal walks.

given the lack of confidence shown in john moore. brady has a good shot to be the 3rd pair LHD even if staal is resigned

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
didn't realize the games was on cable, but my son, who works in hockey, is at the game in Ann Arbor, and texted "Skjei will be rock on our blue line"

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
What's the deal with Nieves? After a solid 1st season in the NCAA his point totals have been slightly regressing. I've never seen him play so I don't know.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
What's the deal with Nieves? After a solid 1st season in the NCAA his point totals have been slightly regressing. I've never seen him play so I don't know.

Boo said himself at the start of the season that he felt his game was off all of last year and it all mitigated from his goalless drought. It seems he isn't producing at a good rate either this season. It would be a shame if he doesn't figure it out, because he has the size and talent.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Keegan Iverson scored a goal last night and was named 3rd star of the game. He had his thumb taped during the fight which led to the suspension. Iverson wasn't throwing punches with the taped hand. His "throwing hand" had no tape on it and the other guy was split open pretty good. Players do tape their hands because of an injury. In the previous game against Seattle,one of their players spit on Iverson. The guy Iverson fought on Seattle was also from Minnesota. Maybe Iverson and Luke Osterman have had an issue since they were kids growing up in Minnesota. Score was settled. :handclap:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If the Rangers trade for a veteran this year and give up let's say John Moore, one of McLIrath/Allen, and a pick, then they're really high on both Skjei and Ryan Graves to make the team either next year or 16-17.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Last year Nieves got jumped over by a couple blue-chip freshman.
This year he's been playing wing on 2d line, and is in top 6 in scoring.

He's a kid who needs all 4 years.
No shame in that.
Hagelin played 4 in Ann Arbor.
He came out of a small northeast prep school, not the NTDP or a hockey factory school.

Draft position is based on potential, not necessarily immediate potential.
Tambellini was picked ahead of Buch and Duke (who both had non-talent question marks). We wont know for 4-6 years whether that was risky mistake, or a smart move since NYR could draft all 3.

Michigan is playing really well lately, Big 10 is good league, this 2d half should tell a lot about Nieves

LetterJ

Feb 16, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Went to the Moncton Wildcats-BB Armada game this afternoon. Went specifically to watch Walcott. Hockeys Future scouting report on him from last year is very accurate:

A rare 19-year-old rookie in the QMJHL, Walcott stepped in to fill a big role in his first year of junior hockey. Despite his inexperience, he played a mature game with poise befitting his age. Contributing at both ends of the ice with a physical edge to his game, Walcott's puck-moving skills are top notch.

I would also add:
He's very physical for his size. No issues engaging. Also, he makes the safe play - often along the wall. He logs solid minutes - playing both on the pp and short handed. He also played predominately the left side, but did also play on the right side several shifts. He certainly does not play like he's 165 pounds.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Went to the Moncton Wildcats-BB Armada game this afternoon. Went specifically to watch Walcott. Hockeys Future scouting report on him from last year is very accurate:

A rare 19-year-old rookie in the QMJHL, Walcott stepped in to fill a big role in his first year of junior hockey. Despite his inexperience, he played a mature game with poise befitting his age. Contributing at both ends of the ice with a physical edge to his game, Walcott's puck-moving skills are top notch.

He's very physical for his size. No issues engaging. Also, he makes the safe play - often along the wall. He logs solid minutes - playing both on the pp and short handed. He also played predominately the left side, but did also play on the right side several shifts. He certainly does not play like he's 165 pounds.

I would not be surprised to see the Rangers sign Walcott to a pro contract--he is talented but there is no way that he is going to be able to play NHL hockey at 165 lbs. It's a big stretch at the AHL level for Mat Bodie at 175 and the Rangers don't need two lightweight defensemen. Bodie will have to be re-signed this summer and perhaps they'll drop him and go with Walcott who is a few years younger. Personally that's probably what I would do. At the very least though Walcott over this summer is going to have to put on a minimum 10 lbs. At his height he's going to have to figure a way to get to 185--190 lbs. anyhow to be able to play in the big leagues. If he does turn pro--it's a big step up--he'll be playing older guys instead of younger guys--the better players that graduated from the CHL, the Colleges and who have come out of Europe. IMO--he's a long shot to be a real player. I have much higher hopes for Graves who has more size and strength. Easier to project him becoming a Michael Sauer type stay at home d-man.

LetterJ

Feb 16, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I went to see Quebec when Graves et al came to town earlier this year. I liked Graves'game. But he's not as physical as he could be for a man his size. He seemingly has very good edge work and is a very good skater though. He is not afraid to engage, but he seemed to win puck battles with his skills and not with physicality. I believe he's a former Q First rounder and has a great stride. But I'm not certain if he projects to be Sauer-like.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I went to see Quebec when Graves et al came to town earlier this year. I liked Graves'game. But he's not as physical as he could be for a man his size. He seemingly has very good edge work and is a very good skater though. He is not afraid to engage, but he seemed to win puck battles with his skills and not with physicality. I believe he's a former Q First rounder and has a great strife. But I'm not certain if he projects to be Sauer-like.

Rangers drafted Graves at 18--there's been clear progression from him since. It doesn't hurt though that he got moved to maybe the best team in the league. Comparing him to Sauer--the idea is more than less that he's going to be much more defensive than offensive. Size-wise they're about the same. The physical play is about the same. Sauer was an occasional fighter--and a decent skater.

Walcott got drafted real late. That's one reason why for me anyway that his weight is a concern. He's 20 years old already and there will no longer be an option next year for him in the Q. It's the pros or bust. Again if it were me I'd dropped Bodie if it came to him and Walcott but if Daniel does sign with us I don't think there's any guarantee he's going to stick in Hartford off the bat--he may be in Greenville (ECHL). I think Graves who the Rangers have signed has a lot better chance to be in Hartford.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I went to see Quebec when Graves et al came to town earlier this year. I liked Graves'game. But he's not as physical as he could be for a man his size. He seemingly has very good edge work and is a very good skater though. He is not afraid to engage, but he seemed to win puck battles with his skills and not with physicality. I believe he's a former Q First rounder and has a great stride. But I'm not certain if he projects to be Sauer-like.

I need to watch this guy play as he's quickly becoming the most interesting prospect in the pool for me. I've only caught a few clips of his play so I have no basis on which to form an opinion other than reports I hear on this board, but the name that comes to mind when I hear talk about his play style and skillset is Braydon Coburn. He obviously doesn't have the same pedigree (Coburn went 8th overall in one of the best drafts ever), but he seems to be that kind of player.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I need to watch this guy play as he's quickly becoming the most interesting prospect in the pool for me. I've only caught a few clips of his play so I have no basis on which to form an opinion other than reports I hear on this board, but the name that comes to mind when I hear talk about his play style and skillset is Braydon Coburn. He obviously doesn't have the same pedigree (Coburn went 8th overall in one of the best drafts ever), but he seems to be that kind of player.

From a style standpoint, Coburn is probably the best comp I've heard so far.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm assuming Nejezchelb's year has to do with him being an overager? Any chance the Rangers sign him?

Partially, yeah, but he's putting up decent numbers on a mediocre squad. I think given that he's a recent selection and hasn't regressed in any capacity, he'll likely get at least a pro contract, if not an ELC. Good size and skill package, and his skating is solid. Would be curious to give up on a project pick a year after selecting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad