Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part II* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 1/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Blainville decimated Quebec with their PP 7-3 tonight. Graves managed to escape even, with three shots and an assist. Walcott had no points.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brady Skjei could return this coming weekend

Freshman forward Leon Bristedt is still competing in the World Junior, but Lucia said after the game he is hopeful Bristedt and injured junior defenseman Brady Skjei will both be in the Gophers lineup next weekend against Michigan.

"There’s been very few games with everyone available to us," Lucia said. "Hopefully we can kind of put the lines together and the defensive pairs together and move forward."

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-further-review/2015/01/04/gophers-take-third-mariucci-classic

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Nice article about Graves

Ryan Graves: A pillar on the blue line

Standing at a towering 6-foot-5 and tipping the scales at 215 pounds, Remparts defenceman Ryan Graves is tough to miss. Ask any winger who dares try to slip by him along the boards and they’ll tell you they’d rather go head-to-head with a Zamboni! It should come as little surprise that his idol is Chris Pronger...

http://theqmjhl.ca/article/ryan-graves-a-pillar-on-the-blue-line

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
So this kid is bigger, more mobile, and better offensively than McIlrath? I know this Quebec team is a powerhouse, so maybe we shouldn't be putting too much stock in his numbers, but in McIlrath's best season he had 0.44 p/g. Graves is almost doubling that right now.

Am I wrong to be excited about him?

Nope.

Plenty of room on the Graves hype train :D

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So this kid is bigger, more mobile, and better offensively than McIlrath? I know this Quebec team is a powerhouse, so maybe we shouldn't be putting too much stock in his numbers, but in McIlrath's best season he had 0.44 p/g. Graves is almost doubling that right now.

Am I wrong to be excited about him?

Most importantly wasn't drafted with a top 10 pick. :cry:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I really hope Graves keeps progressing. The Rangers could use more depth in their defensemen prospect pool.

I also like Bodie a lot.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The thing I like about Graves is he skates well...........objectively. Like, he doesn't skate well "for a big man". He's just a good skater in general. That's a very nice attribute in the modern NHL.

I don't get to watch Graves at all, would a Sam Morin comparison be off base?

A lot meaner and a bit smoother of a skater IMO.

Morin is also thinner, and with more offense.

If Graves follows the same development path as Morin has so far.............we will be in for a real treat.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Walcott>>>Bodie. They're both rail thin but Walcott's got legit wheels which gives him a shot.

I don't get to watch Graves at all, would a Sam Morin comparison be off base?

I think Graves has looked better than Morin in the Q but I also think Morin's game is more suited for the NHL than junior hockey, he was the one guy the Flyers had in camp that really stood out to me. This kind of thing happens all the time though, Ryan McDonagh turned out better than the rest of the D at Wisconsin (Gardiner, Schultz, Smith) despite looking like a lesser player at that level and we'll see it with Brady Skjei and Mike Reilly too (who doesn't look like an NHL player to me.)

Morin is much more natural with the puck on his stick too. Graves doesn't really move the puck all that well, which is the one area of his game he needs to improve the most IMO.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
the dude will be 25 in 2 months. being as thin as he is at that age leaves me skeptical he will ever be big enough to handle the NHL.

That's fair. But it is still possible to put on muscle. I'm around the same age and I've put on a lot of muscle over the past 6 months so it is not like it can't be done Lol. It is definitely doable with the right workout regimen. But also considering he has been working out (or not working out) and competing at the NCAA level and now the NHL level maybe you're right and there is no going up for him with his body.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Walcott>>>Bodie. They're both rail thin but Walcott's got legit wheels which gives him a shot.

I think Graves has looked better than Morin in the Q but I also think Morin's game is more suited for the NHL than junior hockey, he was the one guy the Flyers had in camp that really stood out to me. This kind of thing happens all the time though, Ryan McDonagh turned out better than the rest of the D at Wisconsin (Gardiner, Schultz, Smith) despite looking like a lesser player at that level and we'll see it with Brady Skjei and Mike Reilly too (who doesn't look like an NHL player to me.)

Morin is much more natural with the puck on his stick too. Graves doesn't really move the puck all that well, which is the one area of his game he needs to improve the most IMO.

Yeah, I haven't seen Graves play at all, but I'm hearing that most of his offense comes from his shot, which is apparently really, really good. If this kid can turn into a big, mobile 3/4 kinda guy that bombs away from the point on the PP I think we'd all have to be very happy about that eh?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Eh, I think Graves is acceptable with the puck. It's not his strong suit or anything, but he's not a liability.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Graves assisted on Quebec's only goal in a 4-1 loss to Baie-Comeau.

Also had a fight, I don't remember the last time he fought.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Graves assisted on Quebec's only goal in a 4-1 loss to Baie-Comeau.
Also had a fight, I don't remember the last time he fought.

Next year's defense pipeline could be remarkable with Walcott, Graves and Donnay turning pro, probably Skjei too, Zamorsky returning from Europe, and after 2 full seasons at Greenville, Noreau will hopefully earn a full-time spot w HWP.
Add them to McIlrath, Allen, Hughes and Bodie, and even if Donnay and Walcott are in ECHL, we won't need to gfive so much ice time to guys with no NYR future such as Kostka, Spinnell and Jackson. Hopefully with a revamped coach staff in Harftord (no disrepect to Beuk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad