Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part II* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 1/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Severstal, Buchnevich' KHL team, is only two points away from a play-off spot (KHL awards 3 point for the regulation win).

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Really hope his team does not make the playoffs

I think I know where you're coming from but IMHO it will be unlikely that Buch will come over for AHL PTO when he's on an extended list to make the Russian team for 2014 WC. On the other hand participating in play-off will give him this additional experience and maybe make him a stronger candidate to make it onto Russian roster.

Edit: I also think it's unlikely (but possible) that the Rangers would want him for NHL play-offs.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think I know where you're coming from but IMHO it will be unlikely that Buch will come over for AHL PTO when he's on an extended list to make the Russian team for 2014 WC. On the other hand participating in play-off will give him this additional experience and maybe make him a stronger candidate to make it onto Russian roster.

Edit: I also think it's unlikely (but possible) that the Rangers would want him for NHL play-offs.
Ahh wasn't even thinking of the 2014 WC as a possibility. And maybe it is or isnt depending on what veterans decide to play even if their NHL team is out of the playoffs.

Of course I'd still love for him to come over and start adjusting to the North American game and the Rangers organization on a routinely basis as soon as possible.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Buchnevich gave an interview to a Russian sports website. Here's a link:

http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/blagov/723238.html

To those of you who still hasn't learned Russian I tried to translate it, hopefully better than Google translate. In [brackets] I put some of my comments:

Q: How do you feel about this WJC?
A: I have mixed feelings. On one hand it was great to play in the final – in that atmosphere in front of a sea of all these Canadian fans. But on the other hand I'm left with the bitter taste because we couldn’t win. We started slow, let in two quick goals and it was very difficult trying to catch up coming from behind. But we showed our character, just couldn’t pull it off all the way. Before the game Valeri Nikolaevich (Bragin – head coach) told us that we are capable of competing against anybody and that was the case, we just couldn’t win.

Q: What was the most important factor that allowed you to get to the final?
A: Team spirit. Valeri Nikolaevich said that if we were going to play the same way as we had played against the Czechs, screaming at each other, then it will get us nowhere. So we started playing for and supporting each other, became like one family.

Q: What kind of other experience you gained from the tournament?
A: Playing on a smaller rink – this was my first official experience at this level of competition. Emotions, I think it will stay with me for the rest of my life. I will always remember this tournament, our team and silver medals.

Q: Are they still scared of Russia[n hockey] in Canada?
A: They are scared of Valeri Nikolaevich. [I lol’ed because underneath it showed Bragin addressing the team from the top of the board].

Q: What was your reaction when you saw Bragin strolling on the board?
A: He gave us confidence. Everyone saw how he was in touch with the team and each and every player in that moment.

Q: Did you think he’d fall? [stupid question]
A: Not really, anything could’ve happened but we would probably be able to catch him.

Q: Another emotional moment – timeout during the game.
A: To be honest, it was so loud with Canadian fans cheering, it was difficult to hear anything anyway. I couldn’t hear but I saw Valeri Nikolaevich’s face and it was pretty clear to understand.

Q: Anyone else who gave the team confidence?
A: Gavr, our captain. He was very supportive to everyone and we all tried to listen to him. He always said what needed to be said in a moment.

Q: Did you get a chance to talk to your family?
A: Of course. I missed them. Before the tournament we spent three weeks in a camp. They called me and supported. Told me that they were watching games and were waiting for me to return with presents.

Q: Did you bring anything?
A: Of course. See the full luggage. Also I brought hats, jackets and jerseys for my teammates.

Q: Did you read what was written about you [probably the whole team] in press?
A: Yes, I did but I didn’t like it [I’m sure he’s talking about Russian press where there were a lot of critical articles]

Q: Why did you read it then?
A: Interesting. [I think it was meant like “for sh**s and giggles”]. Boys would say something funny that they had read so I had to go back and read it from the source. Then we were kidding each other just get a rise out of one another, nothing more.

Q: What did you feel right after the final whistle?
A: It was difficult to see how Canadians celebrated. We wanted to deny them this celebration but it didn’t happen.

Q: Paigin threw his stick into seats.
A: I didn’t see it but I’m sure it was just due to emotions.

Q: Who you can’t imagine this team without? Who was stirring things up?
A: Dmitriy Yudin – he stir things up all the time with jokes etc. I had not met people like him before. Anatoliy Golishev was another one.

Q: What was the most memorable situation with these two away from a rink?
A: Yudin bought special forces’ overalls and was walking around in it entertaining everyone. Everyone had a good time.

Last edited:

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Thanks kovazub94.

Minnesota v Michigan on BTNHD tomorrow at 6:30pm Eastern.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Duclair is playing his first game in Quebec tonight. He's going to be on the 1st line :)sarcasm:) with Adam Erne and Guillaume Gauthier.

Kathleen Lavoie ‏@kathleenlavoie 48 sil y a 49 secondes
Anthony Duclair (@aduclair10) revient à «Tony D». «J'ai laissé le “Duc” à New York!» #Remparts #lesoleil

Anthony Duclair is going back to Tony D. "I left the Duke in New York!"

Last edited:

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Duclair is playing his first game in Quebec tonight. He's going to be on the 1st line :)sarcasm:) with Adam Erne and Guillaume Gauthier.

Anthony Duclair is going back to Tony D. "I left the Duke in New York!"

Seems like he has a great attitude. This kid's going to be a stud.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Duclair and his team lost 7-4 in his season debut. He recorded 1 assist and was a team worst -4 and threw zero hits. Graves was a -3.

Hype train has left its course, it was fun while it lasted.

NYRangerFan*

Duclair and his team lost 7-4 in his season debut. He recorded 1 assist and was a team worst -4 and threw zero hits. Graves was a -3.

Hype train has left its course, it was fun while it lasted.

Uh oh, trade them all.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
"@OHLHoundPower: GAME STORY - "Halverson backstops Hounds over Spirit; Earns 1st-Star honours" is now online at http://t.co/I3RFTMa8QS"

Beezer played for the Soo when he was drafted. Goaltending was shaky in NY so he made his NHL debut at 18. The 85 team was really young and Beezer got lit up. Then they traded Hanlon to Detroit for Kisio, gave Beezer the No. 1 job and in his first full season as the Rangers goalie he won a Vezina and got them to the CF.

Beezer could handle the puck too.

Different style goalies, but Halverson is also a Michigan kid playing for the Soo as a Ranger draft pick.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The Traverse City, MI product made 33 saves, en-route to the first star honours in the nets for Greyhounds.

“He looked very focused right from warm-up on.* He was very prepared today and it showed into the game.* We had to rely on him way more than we wanted today tonight, but he was very good.* It was tough to see him scored on because he deserved the shutout tonight†began Hounds Head Coach Sheldon Keefe.

http://soogreyhounds.com/article/ga...ackstops-hounds-over-spirit--1st-star-honours

Big if, but if Richter stayed healthy, the Rangers would have solid stable goalies from 1985 to present and beyond.

Three goalies over 35 years and counting.

Beezer. Richter. Henrik. Who'll be next?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
"@JRNYR: Richard Nejezcleb extends his scoring streak to 7 gms with a goal tonight. 3-6-9 over the span. Has a pt. in 9 of last 10 6-9-15. #NYR #WHL"

"@JRNYR: Nejezcleb has a point in 19 of 23 games in the #WHL this season 12-16-30. Ranks 11th in the league with 7 ppg's #NYR"

Nejezchleb is playing on the Amerk's top line RW with two undrafted O/A in Brian Williams and Beau Mccue.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Tambellini is still red hot. He's now 6th in the Dub in goals while centering a line with 2016 draft eligible Jordy Stallard and O/A Connor Rankin who surprisingly went undrafted.

Tambellini is essentially centering a top line with a rookie and an undrafted who can't create his own offense without Tambellini. He hasn't played with Virtanen as much.

As for Iverson, he's picked it up but he's a massive disappointment. You can't win them all. I know you guys hate giving up on prospects but CHL-statistical regressions as an 18-year-old grinder type is a huge red flag, and it usually kills their confidence.

If he's a 3rd/4th liner on a WHL team, and his stats take a huge dip, their egos get bruised. That's why he's been fighting more. He's trying to win over the coaches with his fists since his stick isn't doing jack.

I'm making a early prediction based on history: he's not going to make it.

If you think about it, he's the lone blemish from the last few drafts. Everybody else has exceeded expectations.

You can't win them all.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm making a early prediction based on history: he's not going to make it.

You're probably right, but Iverson has plenty of time left to prove he is worthy of a contract. This time last year, lots of people were down on Tambellini because he had struggled at UND, left to play in juniors and, even though he was putting up points, he was putting them up mostly on the PP. His stock has risen quite a bit since then.

Ryan Callahan wasn't even drafted in his first year of eligibility. We drafted him at 19 and he regressed a bit in his first post-draft year. Rather than sign an AHL deal, he played in the OHL as an over-ager and put up 52 goals in 62 games.

I'm not saying that Iverson will come anywhere close to 50 goals next year. He isn't that type of player. But he can still earn a contract with a good year next year and, if he progresses, he could be a good bottom 6 guy.

I see him as being similar to Fogarty, in that neither will score much, but they are both big bodies that can forecheck and wear down the opposition. I'd much rather see a kid like Iverson make it than have to sign the next Tanner Glass because we can't develop 4th liners ourselves.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brady Skjei has really developed physically. He looks much bigger than he did even in October. Skjei is ready for pro hockey. He looked rusty in the 1st period after having not played since early December. Skjei played better as the game went on. He can make the short pass to the forwards which is key to the how the Rangers play. Minnesota lost a tough game last night. They were so good in the first period. Too many mistakes. Too many turnovers. Minnesota is a bubble team for the NCAA tournament as of today.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Brady Skjei has really developed physically. He looks much bigger than he did even in October. Skjei is ready for pro hockey. He looked rusty in the 1st period after having not played since early December. Skjei played better as the game went on. He can make the short pass to the forwards which is key to the how the Rangers play. Minnesota lost a tough game last night. They were so good in the first period. Too many mistakes. Too many turnovers. Minnesota is a bubble team for the NCAA tournament as of today.
Do you think the Rangers would want him to join the team after Minnesota's season ends? I know the Rangers wanted him to turn pro going into this year.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
It'd be cool to see Skjei play some games at 3ld if Hunwick/Moore are still rotating in and out when the time comes (if the circumstances make it possible)

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Skjei could be exactly what the doctor ordered for the Rangers. Big, very mobile, good with the first pass.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If Skjei can play in the playoffs and the Rangers are confident that he can be a decent bottom pairing guy, maybe we don't need to part with assets for Sekera.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It'd be cool to see Skjei play some games at 3ld if Hunwick/Moore are still rotating in and out when the time comes (if the circumstances make it possible)

Throwing a kid fresh out of the NCAA's and into the fire of a playoff push would be asking a lot of him.

I expect him to make the team out of camp next year though. If he had decided to go pro last summer he would have gotten a look in November when the Rangers were running Allen, Kostka and McIlrath out there and he may have grabbed a spot.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I expect him to make the team out of camp next year though.

you may be right, but I doubt it will play out that way.
McDonagh did a half season at Hartford, I expect them to do similar with Skjei

Which is fine with me, let him get familiar with playing with men.
If he meets expectations, he'll be a regular within 2 years, no need to push him too fast

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Duclair was terribad last night. At least two goals against are completely on him. It's common for players who come back after stints in the NHL. They think it's going to be easy... junior hockey isn't the NHL but it's not easy. Talented players still have to work hard.

He also said he's tired mentally.

Jonathan Drouin and Nikolaj Ehlers did the same when they came back. They started dominating after 3-4 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad