Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Redundant with the players we already have.

don't know about redundant.

Not saying he's better or worse than what we have, but he's a solid player that takes the body often enough.

keep him on the wing with Step and MSL and you have some good size with talent.

Just not loving his cap hit.

Assuming you referring to Dubi being redundant. After reading it a few times, I'm not sure

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Not saying he's better or worse than what we have, but he's a solid player that takes the body often enough.

Assuming you referring to Dubi being redundant. After reading it a few times, I'm not sure

I think he was referring to Michalek, and I agree. I'd rather have a dependable #6 PMD or steady guy to play with Boyle/Klein. I liked the idea of Wiercioch as a #6, but I can see Slats and co trying to find a lefty version of Klein on a good contract. Idk who that player is though.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Michalek is who I was referring to.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Stall family member(s) more likely to be leaving Carolina than moving there this year.

If the Rangers decide to go all in (and I mean ALL in) then I am looking for something like Hagelin and a pick to Arizona for Vermette. Vermette solves a huge problem (faceoffs), adds to a strength (penalty killing) and creates a 3rd line matchup nightmare. Talk about rolling 4 lines! It won't be cheap or popular but with all the young forwards here or coming soon, Hagelin would be one quality chip who qualifies as potential surplus. It can't happen for a while because the Rangers need more time to accumulate cap space but put Vermette on this team and you have a team that can win The Stanley Cup, no questions asked.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm absolutely fine with Hunwick continuing to play in that 6 D spot. .

I'd like it if we could get an actual #4 dman to put on the 3rd pairing but we'll see

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Stall family member(s) more likely to be leaving Carolina than moving there this year.

If the Rangers decide to go all in (and I mean ALL in) then I am looking for something like Hagelin and a pick to Arizona for Vermette. Vermette solves a huge problem (faceoffs), adds to a strength (penalty killing) and creates a 3rd line matchup nightmare. Talk about rolling 4 lines! It won't be cheap or popular but with all the young forwards here or coming soon, Hagelin would be one quality chip who qualifies as potential surplus. It can't happen for a while because the Rangers need more time to accumulate cap space but put Vermette on this team and you have a team that can win The Stanley Cup, no questions asked.

Not adding a pick to Hagelin for a rental.

NYRangerFan*

Losing Hagelin would hurt more than people think. He is an important piece to our bottom 6 and we have nobody as fast as him right now. Vermette is nice but not for Hagelin

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Not adding a pick to Hagelin for a rental.

For real. Would rather keep Hags then trade him in the off season, as much as I don't want to lose him he may be a cap casualty. However, he is so important to this team with setting the pace of the forecheck. Just look at him the playoffs, when teams play tight, his speed opens up the games.

Would rather have him than Vermette and certainly would not add to him to get a rental of Vermette.

Vermette is a damn solid player, but he's reaching a crazy status around here.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
just throwing another name out there, but if Colorado is on the outside come deadline time...what about looking at Max Talbot?

I like Talbot a lot. Plays the game right. Hard but clean. Would be better than Glass, i would think.
But i think Sather had plenty of opportunity to get Talbot before so i doubt he does it now.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Hagelin is one year away from group 3. Pouliot got $4 million as a group 3. Hagelin is worth that and more as a group 3. The Rangers don't have the space to pay a 3rd line player that type of money. This summer Hagelin will be arbitration eligible. A one year contract making Hagelin a potential group 3 is a disaster. The Rangers will have a tough time paying him for one year to avoid arbitration after paying their big 3 free agents. The time to trade him is from now until the draft and not for a rental the Rangers can't afford to re-sign. The loonie closed below 85 cents yesterday. $71M cap. All of these players aren't taking paycuts or half to one million less.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hagelin is one year away from group 3. Pouliot got $4 million as a group 3. Hagelin is worth that and more as a group 3. The Rangers don't have the space to pay a 3rd line player that type of money. This summer Hagelin will be arbitration eligible. A one year contract making Hagelin a potential group 3 is a disaster. The Rangers will have a tough time paying him for one year to avoid arbitration after paying their big 3 free agents. The time to trade him is from now until the draft and not for a rental the Rangers can't afford to re-sign. The loonie closed below 85 cents yesterday. $71M cap. All of these players aren't taking paycuts or half to one million less.

I 100% agree with this. Unlike defense, the Rangers have young forwards who are pushing. Fast. Miller. Hayes. Lindberg. Buch. Duclair. Look around and find a team who values what he brings and get a longer term piece back.

Could Hagelin return a LD? Would that LD be able to replace Staal in the top-4? Would the Rangers rather a couple of picks?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I think the fear with Hayes has to be how he will hold up over a much longer season, not his face off numbers.

Agreed. If the Rangers are seriously thinking they can make another run, you'd be asking Hayes to play 3x the amount of games as he ever has. Its something the team needs to guard against.

Even if they can trade for a 3C, I dont see how it hurts Hayes to move him to the wing for the playoffs. Even him on a 4th line with Moore and Fast would help them in terms of their possession abilities.

NYRangerFan*

Talking about our 3rd line center situation, i think Scott Gomez would have been a good addition here. Guy can still skate and move the puck.

NYRangerFan*

Good God, no. He's hardly what this team needs on so many levels. And certainly not as a 3C on this team.

Thats fine. I just think he would fit well here because of our speed game an he was always a fast skater. He used to fly through the neutral zone into the offensive zone and never had anybody to give the puck to.

Just a thought

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Trading for Gomez would be as realistic as trading for Jagr. Not only would it be a poor fit and a terrible waste of assets, it also isn't happening with them playing for the Devils.

I think the writing is on the wall with Hagelin but the time to trade him is at the draft.

Wouldn't move him for anything short of a clear upgrade before that (Callahan-MSL type upgrade) and I certainly wouldn't move him for Vermette (who should be plan C or D on the list of things the Rangers should be looking at.)

NYRangerFan*

Trading for Gomez would be as realistic as trading for Jagr. Not only would it be a poor fit and a terrible waste of assets, it also isn't happening with them playing for the Devils.

I think the writing is on the wall with Hagelin but the time to trade him is at the draft.

Wouldn't move him for anything short of a clear upgrade before that (Callahan-MSL type upgrade) and I certainly wouldn't move him for Vermette (who should be plan C or D on the list of things the Rangers should be looking at.)

I never said trade for him, i said WOULD HAVE BEEN a good addition, meaning before he signed with NJ. And i don't want Jagr on this team. We need another center before another winger. If we go after a winger, i want Bergenheim or Korpikoski

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
we do not need a winger

we need a center a guy that can win 50 plus % of his faceoffs and be trusted

we need a guy that can play deep into the playoffs

Yes vermette will be costly but we are in our window to win a Stanley Cup we have to finish this

look at what that msl deal did for us last year. went to the Finals and don't without making that trade. Sure we gave up a couple first big deal we walked out of that offseason with Duclair Buchnevich and Hayes.

we need to find a way to get vermette here

nash brassard zucc
kreider stepan msl
hagelin vermette hayes
miller moore fast
glass

come playoff time that's a hell of a forward group to have to play against. I say it all the time but you win championships with centers a number 1 dman a solid group of defenseman and a franchise goaltender.

stepan brassard vermette moore gets it done

We were extremely lucky on all counts. and I am glad about it.
BUT === This is where my detractors do not listen.
You can't expect to constantly buck percentages and get ahead.

I respect that others have a different opinion and I invite frank discussion and constructive criticism, if properly analytical and without rancor.

But yes, somethings are subjective, the eye of the beholder, matter of opinion.

OTHER THINGS ARE OBJECTIVE.
more mathematically based.
While nothing is 100% 100% of the time,
Statistically this is more often than not.

Sure, a team like Edm with its recent track record can artificially skew results
just as a superior building team can push a little the other direction.

But we need to move higher priced vets to keep and develop additional younger assets (whether picks or prospects). Statistically, high picks and better ranked prospects have a better chance of succeeding.

Yes, I said chance there is no given, but keep pushing the envelope and if we do not win the cup [we are one of a handful of worthy contenders] you will regret going forward because you have not replenished the talent base.

BarbaraAlphanse

I don't think the writing is on the wall for Hagelin. It could happen, but I think it is far more likely for the Rangers to sign him to a 1 year contract and see how his contract extension talks go.

Benoit got 4 mill a year to play in a city no one wants to play in. They inflated his contract to get him there.

Not a good comparable.

Hagelin is on pace for 35 points. I don't know if he'll be asking for the moon when he is a UFA if thats where his point total plateaus... which could entirely be the case. He may just have a 35-42 point ceiling. 3.75-4.15 mill per year is what I see him getting.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
anyone think we just let zucc walk this summer and hope duc/buch can take his place on an ELC?

And we would do this, giving away a resource that can yield more in potential for his actual now, and instead take nothing because.....

oh yeah, we want to win now.
Again, the gamble gamble on group.

Build, done properly it can be done quickly.
Then in a couple of years, you are SO STRONG YOU CAN DOMINATE!

And a guy like Haggerty, who almost made it out of camp, is a guy with serious skill and even if he doesn't yield all of the guy we just traded,

HIS PRODUCTION + the added value of the assets acquired = a big profit

most of what we need now, with a healthy bonus for later.

If we lose this year, my critics' way, we don't come back stronger

Do it my way, we are better prepped for the future, we do come back stronger
Even if that on paper does not translate 100%, it does so enough to be worth it.

NYRangerFan*

Malhotra is another guy i would look at. I wanted him in the offseason

BarbaraAlphanse

Duclair would probably be untouchable. Considering how Sather deals w/ prospects.

Yotes probably want Duke like crazy to pair w/ Domi. Wouldn't be out of the realm to trade Duke for Vermette. Unproven for rental.

But considering how untouchable he seems to be... that trade would probably never make it past introductory stages.

Rangers will probably continue to trade draft picks. Not the worst scenario considering our pipeline of players in the fold for the years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad