Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangerFan*

Duclair for Vermette is bad for us. We need to hold onto guys like Duclair and will Vermette really be worth Duclair? I would try to get it done with a lower end prospect and a lower pick. Keep Duke

NYRangerFan*

The Rangers have the 28th ranked prospect pool, and outside of brady skjei theres zero legit D prospects in the pipeline.

Good post. We have almost nothing at D when it comes to prospects. Thats why these trade Staal posts are weird in a way

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Losing Hagelin would hurt more than people think. He is an important piece to our bottom 6 and we have nobody as fast as him right now. Vermette is nice but not for Hagelin

For real. Would rather keep Hags then trade him in the off season, as much as I don't want to lose him he may be a cap casualty. However, he is so important to this team with setting the pace of the forecheck. Just look at him the playoffs, when teams play tight, his speed opens up the games.

Would rather have him than Vermette and certainly would not add to him to get a rental of Vermette.

Vermette is a damn solid player, but he's reaching a crazy status around here.

Well said, gents.
The speed of Hags and Kreider to open the ice up is important at both ends.
Especially in AV system
Moving either, without serious overpay statistically likely to be worthwhile at more than fair value, would be folly.

Hagelin is one year away from group 3. Pouliot got $4 million as a group 3. Hagelin is worth that and more as a group 3. The Rangers don't have the space to pay a 3rd line player that type of money. This summer Hagelin will be arbitration eligible. A one year contract making Hagelin a potential group 3 is a disaster. The Rangers will have a tough time paying him for one year to avoid arbitration after paying their big 3 free agents. The time to trade him is from now until the draft and not for a rental the Rangers can't afford to re-sign. The loonie closed below 85 cents yesterday. $71M cap. All of these players aren't taking paycuts or half to one million less.

Agreed, except I am not certain trading Hags --- which you have not outright said but alluded to as an option --- is our best option.

We should not be looking at an expensive ? in Yakupov who may wake up or may be a bust disaster.
We should max the return we get on Brassard + Zuc as a package for Hall in a package.
Not addressing other pieces for now, Hall is locked in at 6 yrs for another 5 years after his season, if I remember, and his value will be good in that contract going forward.

Meanwhile, we recover the big salary outlay recouping the difference.
That dif could extend Staal, and whether kept or dealt, he is worth more extended.
Or it could be applied alternatively, including Hagelin.

We have enough at C to do this, even without one coming back, and we promote Lindberg, who most say is ready in the wings, to 4C, which helps our face offs, and our cap.
depending on which are our line matchups, the ranking of the Cs would be:
Stepan, fine upped his game from last quarter or third to top 12 or so
Hayes, not a big advance to 2C if playing with Kreider and correct RW
Moore can handle 3C
Lindy

NYRangerFan*

Well said, gents.
The speed of Hags and Kreider to open the ice up is important at both ends.
Especially in AV system
Moving either, without serious overpay statistically likely to be worthwhile at more than fair value, would be folly.

Agreed, except I am not certain trading Hags --- which you have not outright said but alluded to as an option --- is our best option.

We should not be looking at an expensive ? in Yakupov who may wake up or may be a bust disaster.
We should max the return we get on Brassard + Zuc as a package for Hall in a package.
Not addressing other pieces for now, Hall is locked in at 6 yrs for another 5 years after his season, if I remember, and his value will be good in that contract going forward.

Meanwhile, we recover the big salary outlay recouping the difference.
That dif could extend Staal, and whether kept or dealt, he is worth more extended.
Or it could be applied alternatively, including Hagelin.

We have enough at C to do this, even without one coming back, and we promote Lindberg, who most say is ready in the wings, to 4C, which helps our face offs, and our cap.
depending on which are our line matchups, the ranking of the Cs would be:
Stepan, fine upped his game from last quarter or third to top 12 or so
Hayes, not a big advance to 2C if playing with Kreider and correct RW
Moore can handle 3C
Lindy

Stepan-Hayes-Moore-Lindberg is nice if we want a top pick in the draft

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Hagelin is one year away from group 3. Pouliot got $4 million as a group 3. Hagelin is worth that and more as a group 3. The Rangers don't have the space to pay a 3rd line player that type of money. This summer Hagelin will be arbitration eligible. A one year contract making Hagelin a potential group 3 is a disaster. The Rangers will have a tough time paying him for one year to avoid arbitration after paying their big 3 free agents. The time to trade him is from now until the draft and not for a rental the Rangers can't afford to re-sign. The loonie closed below 85 cents yesterday. $71M cap. All of these players aren't taking paycuts or half to one million less.

Insightful post... do "hometeam discounts" really exist?

coolbean04

Aug 5, 2006
Malhotra is another guy i would look at. I wanted him in the offseason

I love his faceoff skills but his offensive game is painful to watch. He is not a guy I am looking for unless he is on the 4th line and his only value is to win important faceoffs (which we stink at).

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I love his faceoff skills but his offensive game is painful to watch. He is not a guy I am looking for unless he is on the 4th line and his only value is to win important faceoffs (which we stink at).

This.

Malhotra isn't as bad as someone like Konopka, but he really sucks at everything except faceoffs.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Stepan-Hayes-Moore-Lindberg is nice if we want a top pick in the draft

I obviously forgot Miller!
And you have to look at the synergy with the lines

Kreider-Hayes-Nash = dominant power + speed
Hall - Stepan - MSL = vet experience, scoring, skill
Hags - Miller - Fast = super speed
Moore = reliable can boost w. Lindy esp for FOs
Stempniak Glass can be upgraded

NYRangerFan*

I obviously forgot Miller!
And you have to look at the synergy with the lines

Kreider-Hayes-Nash = dominant power + speed
Hall - Stepan - MSL = vet experience, scoring, skill
Hags - Miller - Fast = super speed
Moore = reliable can boost w. Lindy esp for FOs
Stempniak Glass can be upgraded

Even worse. That team looks horrible

NYRangerFan*

I mentioned him since he has history with AV. Put up 30 puts under AV one year. Could be a good 4th line option. We need some faceoff help don't we?

coolbean04

Aug 5, 2006
I mentioned him since he has history with AV. Put up 30 puts under AV one year. Could be a good 4th line option. We need some faceoff help don't we?

I rather try to convince Sobotka to come back to the NHL to play for the Rangers. If yes, make a trade with STL.

NYRangerFan*

Sobotka sounds good to me. As long as we can improve our faceoffs

NYRangerFan*

How does this sound.

Staal and a 2nd to Ottawa for Legwand, 1st and Methot? Would we have to add? We get another center and another dman, plus a 1st. Not sure if the value is right tho

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
J Moore, Allen/McIllraith and 3rd/4th for Sekera.
Glass, Lindberg/Haggerty/Tambellini/Nieves, Tampas 2nd for Vermette
Both teams need to retain about 30% salary
Cup is Ours
Throw in conditional 2016 picks if we win it all

Last edited:

NYRangerFan*

Besides the fact that once was more than enough--why would the Devils organization help the Rangers in any way get better for a Stanley Cup run?

Again, i never said trade for him. Jesus, i said would have been a good pickup before NJ signed him.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Why exactly? Your post means nothing if you say he wouldn't. Explain why if you don't mind

Because he's not a third line center. He's not better than Brassard or Stepan. And he's not so fast any more. And, no, he wouldn't fit this system because he ignores any defensive responsibility. Any other reasons you need?

He does play with any physicality and doesn't fill one need this team has.

NYRangerFan*

Because he's not a third line center. He's not better than Brassard or Stepan. And he's not so fast any more. And, no, he wouldn't fit this system because he ignores any defensive responsibility. Any other reasons you need?

Who said he is better than Stepan and Brassard? He is faster than Hayes and i agree about the defensive part. Again, it was just an idea but he signed already so it doesnt matter

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Who said he is better than Stepan and Brassard? He is faster than Hayes and i agree about the defensive part. Again, it was just an idea but he signed already so it doesnt matter

The point about Stepan and Brassard to show that he won't be a top six player.

What need does he fill? How does he make this team better other than "he's faster than Hayes"?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Scott Gomez? Seriously? The same player who had struggled to find work until the old age home Devils took him in?

Hayes is by far the better player at this point. He is not better than Dom Moore either. He'd be a healthy scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad